Quarter finals - England vs Portugal

Yes it was a red card, but it should never have got there because Rooney was fouled in the tackles before it.

Ronaldo won't want to play football in the EPL next season me thinks, he deliberately enticed Rooney into it.

Drewska said:
Does anyone know the reason Rooney got sent off? Was it for the tackle of the push? I'm not moaning but i wanna know... either way he shouldn't of got sent off..
To Be Fair, Ronaldo should have got a Yellow.

I really felt England could have got a winner in normal time as I didn't fancy our chances on penalties. Germany last night showed how to take penalties; we showed tonight how to do it the Swiss way.
For all the cliches about the lottery of penalties the fact remains that it isn't just down to bad luck that we have exited the 1990, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006 tournaments on pens. None of the penalties taken by England players were adaquate - none of them would have gone in regardless of the keeper's actions.
Once again we've choked under pressure and until we can find a way of taking penalties we need to start making damn sure we can score a goal in the 90 (120) minutes.

Ritwik said:
Eriksson droning about how much they've practiced penalties seemed full of ****. I say Carraghar sure as hell didn't practice penalties.

You can't say that as you can't practice with the nerves, pressure and tension.

By the way, whatever people say, Eriksson has done a great job and is a nice guy. Also they should have got Scolari or Hiddink.

So disappointed. Being most likely Beckhams last World Cup he wasn't even able to finish the game. This brings back so many memories.

What is it with England and penalties? :(

barmyarmy said:
I really felt England could have got a winner in normal time as I didn't fancy our chances on penalties. Germany last night showed how to take penalties; we showed tonight how to do it the Swiss way.
For all the cliches about the lottery of penalties the fact remains that it isn't just down to bad luck that we have exited the 1990, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006 tournaments on pens. None of the penalties taken by England players were adaquate - none of them would have gone in regardless of the keeper's actions.
Once again we've choked under pressure and until we can find a way of taking penalties we need to start making damn sure we can score a goal in the 90 (120) minutes.
England exited Euro 2000 on penalties?

Anyways, penalties arent the best way of deciding matches anyways. So you'd got to try and win it in 120 minutes.

I thought that England were unlucky throughout the game,they deserved better.Lampard hasnt had the best of World Cups unfortunately.I knew when Gerrard missed his penalty that we would lost this again.

I actually knew it when Lampard missed it first off. Only for Viana to make it go a little bit longer.

Good to see Hargreaves score the only one for England, as he was by far the best English player on the pitch. I cant believe people are ready to pay ?10-15M for Carrick, and no one is even talking about Hargreaves.

Yesterday's Game was really unfair I believe. Rooney shouldnt have been sent off, but after that booking the English really played well. Lampard should have been substituted. Its a shame that Owen couldnt play, but I think Hargreaves played a brilliant game. Anyway my World Cup excitement is over. Not only England went out, so did Brazil and Argentina. What is left to see?

I have a lot to say on this match and it's not biased.

First of all what the hell was Sven thinking putting a lone striker upfront - Rooney had no support and he is not 100% at the best of his game, he couldn't finish it off and therefore he got frustrated - which led to the sending off.

The sending off itself was for the push on Ronaldo, the referee only jumped into action when Rooney did so and I don't think it was a combination of the two because the referee didn't reach for his pocket for the original foul on Carvalho. Did you see that wink mind, it was obvious that Ronaldo's intention was to wind Rooney up.

All credit to Owen Hargreaves - he has doubted his critics, (including most England fans), and he was our best player yesterday and was the only one who managed to score a penalty. Peter Crouch was also brilliant, he got to the long balls 90% of the time but nobody was there and so Portugal regained the possession.

Now to talk about Penalties. England said they'd practised them but there were a few things wrong with them:

1. No height whatsoever, makes the keepers job a hell of a lot easier.
2. All saved penalties hit half-way in between the middle and the bottom-right corner, penalty saving heaven for Goalkeepers.
3. These players convert them with ease when playing for their respectable clubs, but miss when the pressures on - they should get use to it.

Paul Robinson dived the wrong way each and every time, he really had no idea...

I'm afraid the future looks bleak as well - if McClaren has picked up a few pointers from Sven.

Beckham's set-pieces were frankly awful, he's lost it in my opinion and Aaron Lennon, (who was also brilliant), is gunning for his place.

Lampard and Gerrard were well below-par for their standards and it's a real shame because they are not playing as well as they do for club than for country - perhaps it's what they should focus on. Perhaps they are cancelling each other out, but the only thing I saw from them was that they were at the back, which is not how they play, they play with attacking grace. Another mistake from Sven.

Defence was excellent for most of the game, Terry and Ferdinand is our first-choice defence and it will be for some time if they play well like that. Ashley Cole showed some moments of brilliance and Gary Neville got up the Right-Wing well, more of that from England please.

Overall the whole of England are waiting for that special performance - we aren't getting it I'm afraid and unless McClaren uses the tactics that got Middlesborough to the UEFA Cup final without the spectacular comebacks, and that he lets the players play where they are most comfortable then we may not qualify for Euro 2008.

Cmon you are being a bit harsh i guess. I think England can win any game with yesterdays team/performance given that Rooney isnt sent away so cheaply. Bekham wasnt used at all in the first half which was a pity. England should always try and score a goal inside 120 mins or else they have real problems

arghasen said:
Cmon you are being a bit harsh i guess. I think England can win any game with yesterdays team/performance given that Rooney isnt sent away so cheaply. Bekham wasnt used at all in the first half which was a pity. England should always try and score a goal inside 120 mins or else they have real problems
The key word lies in your last sentence. You have got to score goals to win, and England have struggled to do that, even against weaker opposition.

Users who are viewing this thread