Quarter finals - England vs Portugal

m_vaughan said:
England exited Euro 2000 on penalties?

Sorry, lost to Portugal and Romania and didn't get past the group stage.

hondeyho said:
First of all what the hell was Sven thinking putting a lone striker upfront - Rooney had no support and he is not 100% at the best of his game, he couldn't finish it off and therefore he got frustrated - which led to the sending off.

Herein lies the problem. There wasn't anyone else. Crouch barely merits a place at club level and he wasn't prepared to play Walcott.
Picking 4 strikers (2 half-fit, 1 useless and 1 17) was always going to be folly and we were found out for it.

Sven was right to take Rooney, Owen and Crouch I think but we needed 2 more strikers e.g. Defoe and Bent

Like Lee said Beckham has resigned as captain - it'll be either Gerrard of Terry who'll take the armband.

Hopefully Terry, I couldn't believe it when Beckham handed it to Gary Neville yesterday (best man at his wedding!)

DJ Ager said:
You can't say that as you can't practice with the nerves, pressure and tension.

By the way, whatever people say, Eriksson has done a great job and is a nice guy. Also they should have got Scolari or Hiddink.

Great job?

Walcott, Jenas selections?

Playing 4-5-1 with Rooney as a lone striker.
Paul Robinson dived the wrong way each and every time, he really had no idea...

Goalies have to pre-empt where they go, they haven't got time to react to which way the ball is going.

Penalties is down to mainly luck and experience.

You can't criticise Goalkeepers for penalties imo.

Well i feel sorry for all English fans,as Portugal never looked like scoring a goal even after Rooney's Red Card.The best player i saw for England was definitely Lennon and i just wonder whether Erikson made a big mistake in not starting him.I also couldn't believe Gerrard missed!And Lampard!It was just some very poor spot kicks and indiscipline that really lost this match for England.Gerrard for Captain.

Skateboarder said:
David Beckham has just resigned as England captain!
yes man just heard abt it too sad....he was million times better than gerard or lampard this world cup too sad he still resignd....gerard or terry are likely to be next captain..
and at the guy saying abt robinson diving on wrong side...i think it was his first important shootout at any level .. u cud have seen how tense he was b4 the first kick jumping aroung thinkin abt somethin..he came to the goal whn referee brought him.....

Last edited:
Beckham had a poor tournament this time around, he always plays better when Neville is playing and Neville missed most of the tournament.

He was a very good captain.

I'd rather have Terry for captain, we need a leader not a inspirational player as captain.

Ok. I've calmed down since yesterday :(

Firstly I'd like to say how sad I was to hear that Becks was stepping down. I watched the interview and it was really moving how he spoke, quite clearly stopping tears. All he said was 100% real and shows how much he cared about it. He is like any of us, the common guy who as he said "lived the dream."

He has been a great captain. I for one hope he gets to 100 caps. He shouldn't be dropped as I think Lennon is far to inexpierienced at the moment.

Ronaldinho was arguably the most disappointing player at this tournament. He was far worse than Becks or Lamps. I think Beckhams play wasn't helped with the fact that England had no strikers fro a number of games who could head the ball. It's Beckham's game - crossing - and I don't understand the tactics.

Ok, the match.

1. Rooney's "stamp" was not intentional and the Ref was an absolute joke as have all refs at this tournament. Why have there been so many bloody South American refs?!!!!
2. Ronaldo is not welcome back at Old Trafford as far as I'm concerned (Ruud is). What he did was disgusting (including the headbutt at the start of the game) and he will be booed by Man Utd fans as much as other clubs fans. Rooney is not going to be talking to him and if there's a divide he'll be the one to go not Rooney.

He can go to Madrid. Good riddens. There a crappy club side and are going in the wrong direction.

themuel1 said:
2. Ronaldo is not welcome back at Old Trafford as far as I'm concerned (Ruud is). What he did was disgusting (including the headbutt at the start of the game) and he will be booed by Man Utd fans as much as other clubs fans. Rooney is not going to be talking to him and if there's a divide he'll be the one to go not Rooney.

That is a good point, I reckon that Ronaldo will leave Man U, and if he doesn't either him and Rooney will co-operate or Rooney will leave - I don't really think that's a possibility. But it'll be a long time I reckon before Ronaldo shows his face in the Premiership again.

hondeyho said:
That is a good point, I reckon that Ronaldo will leave Man U, and if he doesn't either him and Rooney will co-operate or Rooney will leave - I don't really think that's a possibility. But it'll be a long time I reckon before Ronaldo shows his face in the Premiership again.
i agree that he will not remain at man utd but pleeeezzz dont send him to real madrid as i only watch spanish league and i cannot the cry baby ronaldo for a second......i hate both ronaldo and rooney...me and my friend were wishing b4 the WC that there would be a match between eng and porto and both ronaldo and rooney fight and breack each others leg :D :D :D .....wish was half completed that atleast they had a fight

themuel1 said:
1. Rooney's "stamp" was not intentional and the Ref was an absolute joke as have all refs at this tournament. Why have there been so many bloody South American refs?!!!!

Just your opinion. Might have been a bit harsh, but was the correct decision in the end.

themuel1 said:
Ronaldo is not welcome back at Old Trafford as far as I'm concerned (Ruud is). What he did was disgusting (including the headbutt at the start of the game) and he will be booed by Man Utd fans as much as other clubs fans. Rooney is not going to be talking to him and if there's a divide he'll be the one to go not Rooney.
There is no doubting Ronaldo's quality, even though he might not be the cleanest player on the pitch. If he leaves Man U, they better get an able replacement, or struggle.

themuel1 said:
He can go to Madrid. Good riddens. There a crappy club side and are going in the wrong direction.

Madrid are going to be back next season. Just you wait.

Users who are viewing this thread