Random thought: How to resurrect the 2017 World Test Championship

SetonHallPirate

Not that kind of Pirate
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My idea...have the matches be three day, day-night tests (with, still, 30 hours of play)!

My proposal (two options, both of them allow for everybody to not miss County Championships time either):

Option A (six hours Friday, twelve Saturday and Sunday):

Friday: 4 PM-6 PM; 6:40 PM-8:40 PM; 9 PM-11 PM
Saturday and Sunday: 9 AM-1 PM; 2 PM-6 PM; 7 PM-11 PM

Option B (ten hours each day, allows for Islamic prayer on Friday):

Friday: 10 AM-12 PM; 1 PM-5 PM; 6 PM-10 PM
Saturday: 11 AM-2 PM; 3 PM-6 PM; 7 PM-11 PM
Sunday: 9 AM-12 PM; 1 PM-5 PM; 6 PM-9 PM

Just a couple of thoughts...

Idea is OK but never think would be implemented as Day-Night tests are not much preferred even though allowed by law.

Minor question...why would the ICC be OK with the use of something like DRS, and yet they would be opposed to the use of something as revolutionary as the incandescent light bulb?

The true masterminds behind the ICC are not the BCCI; its actually the Green Party. That's why they dislike night tests until they find an environmentally friendly way to do it.

To be serious for a little minute: the idea of the WTC is very good and the fact that the ICC killed it off for another ODI competition that benefits only the big 8 is horrible. I'm not sure if I'd support three-day tests for it since there would be concerns over the players trying to play cricket for 10 hours straight: something that I'm sure hasn't been done for years but hey, it'd probably work in England! Make it a timeless test for the final: and it would be fantastic!

Night tests should be tried in a major series - not the Ashes since I'm a traditionalist and all: but perhaps they should have done it for the upcoming Indian series? People won't care if its only Sri Lanka and Bangladesh trying it...

To be fair, the ICC World Test Championship would have only had the top four teams involved in it, but the way I have it organized, it could be done with more teams, as the disruption of the first-class season would be minimal at worst. (the ten hours of cricket in a day is a good point, but it's not ten hours straight...it's ten hours in a twelve-hour span)

My idea...have the matches be three day, day-night tests (with, still, 30 hours of play)!
Is it an alternative to 5 day Test matches ? Clearly No.
Yeah, I do support for day-night matches.

Presently ICC test Championship has only 4 teams. If any one among India, Australia or England do not make into that, ICC will lose a lot of revenue. That's why the idea was dropped.

Well, there is a solution to that one...make it more than four teams!

(even with eight teams, you're only taking up three weekends of cricket)

Users who are viewing this thread