Test Cricket Draft

Pick: Sunil Gavaskar
Explanation: In my eyes, the 2nd greatest opening batsman the game has seen. Gavaskar was a genuis with the bat. He was one of the few guys that managed to dominate the great West Indian bowling attack, and his average of 51.12 in an era packed with class fast bowling is a testament to his class. Easy pick, how he's not been picked, with guys like Russell, Underwood, and Flower already gone is beyond me.

1. Sunil Gavaskar
4. Sir Vivian Richards
5. Jacques Kallis
9. Malcolm Marshall

In my eyes, the 2nd greatest opening batsman the game has seen.

Even after being a big fan of Gavaskar, I'll say that this is a bit too extreme. Gavaskar was a great batsman no doubt, but second greatest? No, Dan, sorry. The gretetst opener to have ever graced the game is of course Sir Don. And in my eyes, the second greatest opener is Sir Jack Hobbs. The others are miles behind these two. The third greatest opener- it can be debated. I'll say it's Herbert Sutcilffe. Gavaskar comes way after these three legends.

Last edited:
^ Yeah, you're right, actually. How silly of me! I didn't know this simple fact! Believe me, I really didn't know this!! I thought Sir Don was an opener! What a fool I am! Now I'm feeling really embarrassed! You learn something everyday, and wow..., I still can't believe this- I thought him to be an opener from the very beginning! What a stupid thing to do!!!

Last edited:
He was a number 3 or 4,although he once batted at somewhere around 6 because of injury.

Ok, I've got my computer back. It's slow, not fixed and freezing, but lets forget that blip. Lets get it rolling again.

Even after being a big fan of Gavaskar, I'll say that this is a bit too extreme. Gavaskar was a great batsman no doubt, but second greatest? No, Dan, sorry. The gretetst opener to have ever graced the game is of course Sir Don. And in my eyes, the second greatest opener is Sir Jack Hobbs. The others are miles behind these two. The third greatest opener- it can be debated. I'll say it's Herbert Sutcilffe. Gavaskar comes way after these three legends.
Sunil Gavaskar is the second best Opening Batsman ever, after Matthew Hayden, of course.

Sunil Gavaskar is the second best Opening Batsman ever, after Matthew Hayden, of course.

I disagree. It's Herbert Sutcliffe. You cannot compare Gavaskar with Sutcliffe.
Hobbs > Sutcliffe > > Hutton > Gavaskar > Hayden
Anyway, let's get this moving. Who's next?

King Cricket added 0 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

Gambhir > Sehwag > Hayden :p;) > .....................................................................at the end of the list, comes Philip Hughes. :p;)

Dave Warner > All openers that have ever played the game.

Code:
4.08 King Pietersen - [B]Sunil Gavaskar[/B]
4.09 mrtwisties
4.10 Bladescape

5.01 Bladescape
5.02 mrtwisties
5.03 King Pietersen
5.04 Dare
5.05 metallics2006
5.06 Jakester1288
5.07 King Cricket
5.08 Crew of Black
5.09 aussie_ben91
5.10 Feelin Blue?

There ya go, that's the order. So we've got mrtwisties picking next, followed by Bladescape with 2 picks. Lets get it moving.

Do you really believe Matthew Hayden was that good.........?
He was alright, but his record in New Zealand, England, and South Africa was pretty poor. And given the amount of times I have seen you attack Sehwag for being a flat track bully, wow have a look at Haydens record. And not to mention the 380 he scored against a really week Zimbabwe team.

Cricinfo Statsguru - ML Hayden - Test matches - Batting analysis

Do you really believe Matthew Hayden was that good.........?
He was alright, but his record in New Zealand, England, and South Africa was pretty poor. And given the amount of times I have seen you attack Sehwag for being a flat track bully, wow have a look at Haydens record. And not to mention the 380 he scored against a really week Zimbabwe team.

Cricinfo Statsguru - ML Hayden - Test matches - Batting analysis
Hayden is one of the few players in the history of the game to have scored a 100 in a Test match where under 400 runs in the match has been scored and it also took Hayden just 94 Tests to reach 30 Test centuries - Faster then any other player in the history of the game. Also out of the 7/8 times that Australia have been challenged in a series by the opposition, Hayden averages 53 whilst all of the other great Australian have averaged low 40's.

MR.TWISTIES HURRY UP!!!!

Other wise this thread may spiral off into 'Hayden's a legand/not a legand' arguement!!!!

Guys, sorry but I'm going to have to bow out of this draft. Work's been tough lately and it's all I can manage to eat something and tumble into bed at night.

Users who are viewing this thread