Review Retail Version Impressions Thread

@wealey

How the heck did you manage to play a full day of cricket without the AI running itself out? I mean NONE of your wickets are run outs that very cool! I still play the demo and get min 5 wickets due to crap AI running!

You haven't got it yet either, huh? I'm still playing (and enjoying) the demo as well.

Wait for it.... wait for it.... lol!

Reverse swing!! it just tailed in and the AI left it as it hit top of off!!

Looked like a normal decent length!

What you think of the scorecards?!

Nice!

One quick word about editing. The P.C. team were able to turn EA Cricket 07 from an unplayable mess into a game with some reasonable potential; a game you could glean a little fun from. This game we have now (again, going by the demo) has got a hell of a lot going for it, so if P.C. can do that with EA Cricket 07, imagine what they'll be capable of with a game that's halfway there already? Assuming they can get inside all the necessary files, of course.

Last edited:
It sorta saps some of the joy out of the game tho doesn't it? I mean, sure, some guys you want to hit the perfect line and length time after time. But in other games the conditions are better for you to go short and blast them out. A good line and length at Lahore is different to the one in Sydney. A good line and length from Shaun Pollock is different to that from Harmison. A good line and length for Phil Hughes is different to the one for Ponting. Etc etc.

I haven't got the game yet so I can't comment beyond the theoretical, but I just really dislike being told "bowl at this speed and put the ball here and you'll be fine". It's too simple. It's too predictable when cricket, especially test cricket, is anything but. There has to be that variety.

completely agree with that. But its not that you cant bowl a short ball or a real world length ball in an over. You can ball them, but as long as you are constantly hitting that perfect yellow segment of the bowling bar 95% of the time, its all fine. Otherwise the AI plays more aggressively(atleast in the demo).
I've actually got them 60 odd runs from 20 overs with no wicket. Bowled everything from pacers to medium pacers and spinners. But they have managed well still. Therefore im not that worried abt them being bowled so easily or batting 20-20 style. I hope I've found the line.

I still haven't had a single caught behind to the keeper in the demo.

I've had quite a few, especially off top edges. Ponting got out in a very similar fashion as he did to Onions at Edgbaston in the last Test, mistiming the pull and giving Prior a simple catch.

completely agree with that. But its not that you cant bowl a short ball or a real world length ball in an over. You can ball them, but as long as you are constantly hitting that perfect yellow segment of the bowling bar 95% of the time, its all fine. Otherwise the AI plays more aggressively(atleast in the demo).

But so many have said, bowl full (even with spinners) or you'll be carted around. If the bar is what determines a generally good ball or not, regardless of where it pitches, well that's not so bad then.

Just regarding the type of game Wealey is playing (think he's gone to bed now) can any of you guys who have the full version confirm that the AI running is better in the retail version than demo? I mean Wealey managed to bowl like 90 overs without the AI running itself out even ONCE! Thats amazing, I can barely play 5 overs on the demo before the AI goes stupid..

can any of you confirm this improvement in running?

But so many have said, bowl full (even with spinners) or you'll be carted around. If the bar is what determines a generally good ball or not, regardless of where it pitches, well that's not so bad then.

You have used the right word, "generally". The bowlers do get spanked if say you continuously ball 3-4 balls other than full length with the perfect bar. So its not just the segment thing "only". But indeed in my view hitting the perfect meter spot is very crucial.

I've had quite a few, especially off top edges. Ponting got out in a very similar fashion as he did to Onions at Edgbaston in the last Test, mistiming the pull and giving Prior a simple catch.

What: in the demo or full game?

What: in the demo or full game?

Demo, still on holiday in the far reaches of Scotland, so my copy will be currently back in Yorkshire, lying unnopened on the table.

I've played it to death though, using the demo extender. There should definately be more edges from the AI for sure.

This game is officially ticking me off.

Played a ODI between WI (me) & India (AI)

India scored 211 all out after 22 overs, with 7 run outs :doh

I don't know how to control the scoring rates, if you bowl 6 deliveries in the yellow circle you get spanked by decent players.

Nikita Miller bowled 2 overs for 43 :crying

I swear the Xbox 360 version plays worse than the PS3 one.

Use a spinner against tailenders!

I don't want to get edges for the sake of it, I want to get them because it's possible to get them and not just with spinners either. Also, surely you get edges to top order batsmen sometimes as well?

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Demo, still on holiday in the far reaches of Scotland, so my copy will be currently back in Yorkshire, lying unnopened on the table.

I've played it to death though, using the demo extender. There should definately be more edges from the AI for sure.

I've got plenty of edges - just none to the keeper.

I don't want to get edges for the sake of it, I want to get them because it's possible to get them and not just with spinners either. Also, surely you get edges to top order batsmen sometimes as well?

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

I've got plenty of edges - just none to the keeper.

Mate, honest to God they're there. You must not be bowling the right line to get them.

ust regarding the type of game Wealey is playing (think he's gone to bed now) can any of you guys who have the full version confirm that the AI running is better in the retail version than demo? I mean Wealey managed to bowl like 90 overs without the AI running itself out even ONCE! Thats amazing, I can barely play 5 overs on the demo before the AI goes stupid..

can any of you confirm this improvement in running?

To answet few questions.. running is much better... however mad running is still there every now and then! However i dont get many!

i bowled 105 overs and bowled them out for 405 on morning of day 2!

Mate, honest to God they're there. You must not be bowling the right line to get them.

PC demo, by the way. Yes, I'm sure they are there: maybe I'll do some experimenting with the line in my next game. I'm still looking forwards to the full game.

Users who are viewing this thread