Review Retail Version Impressions Thread

Madden is a huge gaming franchise though, they know the worthiness of the title, and it brings in a lot of money year after year, so they put more effort into it.

Exactly. It brings in countless money whether they patch it or not.

The difference this year is a team of devs who care about the community and what it thinks.

They could, like the last 3 years, put no effort into it and just have made another roster update, banking on countless joe's to buy it. But they didn't.

They developed the game in conjunction witht the community and listened pre-release and are also post-release to what we all think.

My point is that Ashes 09 could, with our help and a decent patch, be a classic. I just hope we don't get shafted.

If we do, and the game is left as it is, I will not only trade it in, but never, ever buy a Codemasters game again on release day. I will wait and listen to community feedback and then, possibly, rent. :(

The difference this year is a team of devs who care about the community and what it thinks.

As much as I've been disappointed with the game and it's problems. I think you're being a bit harsh on TG. The fact the Lead Programmer of the game has been publicly active on these forums show they care about the community. We've had a good relationship with them, and have been able to do things like Q&A's, screenshots, etc.

Equally EA's community relations with regard to cricket total has been totally lousy to non-existent for several years now.
I do agree though that it's good to see the developers acknowledging issues they would like to fix and saying the game needs improving.

As much as I've been disappointed with the game and it's problems. I think you're being a bit harsh on TG. The fact the Lead Programmer of the game has been publicly active on these forums show they care about the community. We've had a good relationship with them, and have been able to do things like Q&A's, screenshots, etc.

I wasn't trying to overly criticize TG (I apologise if it seemed like it) more big up Tiburon (Madden devs) and EA for showing how to react with the community.

My biggest gripe at the moment is lack of information from TG. All they need to do is send out a quick message to say that a patch is coming and maybe ask us what we think needs patching.

If everything we want can't be done, then so be it. At least it shows transparency and honesty.

I just hope that no news is good news as I can't believe they would release the game with as many faults as it has without having a patch as first priority post release.

Hell, Ashes 09 was No1 in the charts so they know they have a loyal, paying fanbase who are eager to help them make a better game. And I really think it can be truly fantastic with PC's help.

So far, the main thing I've noticed is that the game runs at 30fps at the most, 10fps at the least; the demo ran at 60fps throughout. Having said that, in the game I'm playing, the AI are 38/0 from 10 overs and they're not finding it entirely comfortable either.

This could be a driver issue. If not, I'll be sure to tell you.

How do you find the frame rates in this game, is there an internal method or do you need to run fraps or something like it?
Thanks

On the thread subject, as I've already said in a previous post, Codies are not renowned for their post game support. The devs who were on the board pre game now seem to have vanished, but it's normally the publishers who decide on patches.

How do you find the frame rates in this game, is there an internal method or do you need to run fraps or something like it?
Thanks

On the thread subject, as I've already said in a previous post, Codies are not renowned for their post game support. The devs who were on the board pre game now seem to have vanished, but it's normally the publishers who decide on patches.

Yeps, you need FRAPS.

I'm currently taking notes about the game. So far, I have noticed a lot of good things, a few eugh things and one or two things that are not acceptable. When I've played for a few days, I'll post a full review.

First impressions are good overall - the game feels like cricket. I have to say that I like the tutorials; especially if you're a complete novice, they're very useful. However, there are one or two occasions where they assume you have a real cricket ball in your hand (Shane Warne says that in order to flight the ball, you bowl it more slowly. How, Shane? Stopping the meter earlier doesn't seem to work).

It's a shame that they didn't use Warne or Beefy as consultants as well as commentators, because they would've picked up on the issues with bounce and length (for example) even faster than we did!

It goes a bit pear-shaped as soon as a spinner appears - the runrates rocket and I have also had one comical run-out where the AI took an excellent quick single of a defensive push and then got it into its head that there were two available!!!

I have every confidence that Transmission will do something about both the performance issues that some PC users (like me) are having, as well as the other gameplay related issues.

Yeps, you need FRAPS.

I'm currently taking notes about the game. So far, I have noticed a lot of good things, a few eugh things and one or two things that are not acceptable. When I've played for a few days, I'll post a full review.

First impressions are good overall - the game feels like cricket. I have to say that I like the tutorials; especially if you're a complete novice, they're very useful. However, there are one or two occasions where they assume you have a real cricket ball in your hand (Shane Warne says that in order to flight the ball, you bowl it more slowly. How, Shane? Stopping the meter earlier doesn't seem to work).

It's a shame that they didn't use Warne or Beefy as consultants as well as commentators, because they would've picked up on the issues with bounce and length (for example) even faster than we did!

It goes a bit pear-shaped as soon as a spinner appears - the runrates rocket and I have also had one comical run-out where the AI took an excellent quick single of a defensive push and then got it into its head that there were two available!!!

I have every confidence that Transmission will do something about both the performance issues that some PC users (like me) are having, as well as the other gameplay related issues.

I got Fraps and checked I'm getting a steady 60 fps all the time.
I think it seems to play better in the shortened game. I haven't tried a test but have concentrated on 20/20 and ODI's, my most succesful game so far was containing Australia to 76 AO in 14 overs of a 20/20 game then completing the win with England in 10 overs. Taking wickets seems really hard I had 2 runouts and 7 catches.
What I did find out was if I bowled what the pc regards as a perfect ball it was hit well by the batsman but if I used the dark green of the meter and varied that while still placing the ball in the palest green mark the batsmen struggled to hit runs. I have the screen shots because I couldn't believe I was bowling so well. Played on normal level.

I want to know everyone thought on this. how do you feel about the people who change the bowling position in the last second before they ball. batsman cant tell where they will bowl because of the 1 sec lag. when i ball i choose my position and then ball there. no changing. but people do it and seem to think its fair. well i don't. its taking advantage of the lag and not showing there bowling skills. please share your thoughts.

Well I do that in offline against the computer so people aren't necessarily doing it to take advantage of the lag - it's a good bowling tactic.
I've not had much lag online; a second sounds pretty bad though.

I want to know everyone thought on this. how do you feel about the people who change the bowling position in the last second before they ball. batsman cant tell where they will bowl because of the 1 sec lag. when i ball i choose my position and then ball there. no changing. but people do it and seem to think its fair. well i don't. its taking advantage of the lag and not showing there bowling skills. please share your thoughts.

thats part of the 2 player game, in real life the batsman does not know where the ball will pitch.

I alter the line a lot and rarely the length. Its a legitimate tactic in cricket video games.

As for your lag, 1 second! wow maybe you should only play folks in your area, i rarely have any lag, and when i do its negligible.

things i don't like about this game

the things i donot like about this game are:
1. too many runouts like from 3 to 5 per innings
2. run rates are far to high like about 6 to 12 per over in a test match and the same with other forms of the game
3. the structure of the tournaments are wrong
4. there is not australia international one day series.
5. can u actually play like australia in pakistan using pakistania stadiums

Users who are viewing this thread