Review Retail Version Impressions Thread

with regards to online mode does ashes cricket 09 run on its own servers or do u need to install a windows live type program?

We were told at the playtest that if you play as a unlicensed team (ie South Africa) and win matches you earn skills points which can be used to upgrade the skills of players, so in theory you should be able up the pace of Parnell by earning enough points.

That sounds good!

Im pretty certain if the codies release a patch for the game it will be for all platforms! However don't get too excited, patches are normally released 2-3 months after the game unless its serious.

What's the sound like, in particular:

The appeals (far too quiet in demo)
The bat hitting the ball (could be better)
The crowd (ditto)

Also, one graphical nit-pick: I felt the ball in the demo looked like an old ball. The ball in BLIC 2007 was perfect, does it look like a proper new ball in the full game? Also, do we have Npower stumps/pitchads now?

My game is still down as 'preordered' at play.com. Has anyone who ordered the PC version had it dispatched yet?

The Australian and England squads can not be edited on, so James Anderson pace will always be the same for console versions. I got Parnell up into the 85mph+ barrier pretty easy, I just made him left arm fast and I did the same for Kallis, Ntini and Albie Morkel. It seems no fast medium bowler can top over 70 odd mph, so they have to be all classified as fast to get them to bowl quick.

Also, a real bummer in customisation is that if I want to downgrade Gibbs as a batsman (for some reason he is rated better than Kallis, Smith and AB...) I have to use those points to improve his fielding or bowling. I would much rather keep the points and add those points to say Botha's batting and bowling.

I should add that I created Parnell but to make him a half decent bowler i.e. a rating of 75, I had to make him a complete bunny (despite him batting top five for RSA U19's) and the 19 year old a complete pedestrian in the field.

TT Boy added 4 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

What's the sound like, in particular:

The appeals (far too quiet in demo)
The bat hitting the ball (could be better)
The crowd (ditto)

Also, one graphical nit-pick: I felt the ball in the demo looked like an old ball. The ball in BLIC 2007 was perfect, does it look like a proper new ball in the full game? Also, do we have Npower stumps/pitchads now?

My game is still down as 'preordered' at play.com. Has anyone who ordered the PC version had it dispatched yet?

Sounds are poor.

Also, another strange rating, Mendis of Sri Lanka is only 62 with the ball. I can only make his bowling better if I make him say 5 with the bat.

Fortunately, I could make Dale Steyn a 88 rated bowler, as his batting was just a mere 10 or so points worse than Albie Morkel...

I wanted to make Ntini a worse bowler and fielder (77, nearly as good as Gibbs!) but I can't unless I want to make him a demon with the bat.

So, the few key issues that have propped up so far are:

- Incorrect player skills/speeds/attributes - all can be fixed by a simple patch
- Poor pacing by the AI in Test Matches, by batting overly aggressively and providing too many opportunities. Hopefully can be fixed in a patch
- Majority of the edges still not carrying. Can this be fixed in a patch?
- Not enough LBWs/LBW appeals/Bowleds - should be fixed in a patch
- No real indication so far that AI batsmen bat according to the situation. It could be there, but needs more time to find. I noticed proper batsmen hogging the strike when with a tailender in the Demo, so that is there.
- AI bowlers bowl too straight and predictably, without enough variation it seems. Also give away too few wides, if any. Can be fixed in a patch I think.
- Annoying small glitches with runouts and stumpings. Batsmen not sliding their bat in, getting stumped without doing anything. This adds to the realism in my opinion, but if it is too frequent then it is an issue.
- Try to attack in Hard mode is very, well, Hard. This could be down to Paradisekingy and Jazz sucking at the game ( :p ), but I found it an issue in the Demo too. If you are trying to bat in a Test match, it's possible as you can defend and defend and build an innings. But you don't have enough time to do that in an ODI or T20, and attacking from the start is suicide. Maybe it'll get easier the more we play the game, but maybe making batting a bit easier in T20/ODIs is required.

Biggest issues first, lead important issues last. Anything I missed, or anything I'm wrong.

I can take the pace attack bowlers apart on hard when they bowl anything short, the only problem is hitting sixes of full balls (haven't hit one yet) and the spinners, who seem to have my number. Real challenge and it is good fun when they come on, Afrid, Amjal and Malik made me go from needing an easy 7 runs an over in a 20/20 game to 10 in the space of a few minutes.

Also, they are a bit clever. I kept hooking and pulling Shoaib, so they put three men on the onside boundary and in another game just decided to bowl outside my off-stump, so I could no longer play the shot.

Excellent. So the AI isn't always predictable, and they do bowl to the situation. And batting isn't hugely difficult after practice. Great!

I can take the pace attack bowlers apart on hard when they bowl anything short, the only problem is hitting sixes of full balls (haven't hit one yet) and the spinners, who seem to have my number. Real challenge and it is good fun when they come on, Afrid, Amjal and Malik made me go from needing an easy 7 runs an over in a 20/20 game to 10 in the space of a few minutes.

Also, they are a bit clever. I kept hooking and pulling Shoaib, so they put three men on the onside boundary and in another game just decided to bowl outside my off-stump, so I could no longer play the shot.
Thts some excellent news. This wht we really call AI :happy

They CAN do. Most of the time they'll keep banging it in short, even if you whack the first three balls for boundaries and sixes.

my game has been posted from play.com today. you guys think i will get it tomorrow?

It says that no matter who bowls. It's so brilliant and doesn't feel amateurish at all!

No, Play stuff takes 3 days, 2 if you're lucky.

awesome post sl fan !!:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise You just made one post and its heavy on all of the above lol :laugh

Users who are viewing this thread