Review Retail Version Impressions Thread

The Bad
Pace of the bowlers, Wayne Parnell (a 85mph+ bowler) can only clock 65mph max whilst Steyn and Morne Morkel can clock 85-90mph with ease. Same goes for Albie and Jacques Kallis who are criminally slow in the game.
Customisation, what’s the point? I can only improve Parnell’s pace by forsaken his accuracy, cut/spin or swing. Pointless, his bowling rating is a mere 60 in comparison to Steyn’s 84. A huge gulf and it shows.

Cheers for the thoughts mate!
The pace of Parnell and Anderson, Broad etc.... i find really odd! surely this was very obvious when they made the game!!?:facepalm

Hopefully fingers crossed this can be solved in a simple patch!!

Good job game makes up for it in other ways!

Alright, been playing the game for a couple of hours. First impressions?

The Good
Best cricket game I have played since Lara 99
Some real neat touches here and there. Nice to get caught on the drive playing a normal shot by short extra cover or caught keeper playing a fine sweep.
Bowling can be very unforgiving on hard, especially when bowling with secondary bowlers. I started a 20/20 game opening the bowling with Dale Steyn, took a few early poles but it then all went haywire once Albie Morkel, Johan Botha came into the attack.

The Bad
Pace of the bowlers, Wayne Parnell (a 85mph+ bowler) can only clock 65mph max whilst Steyn and Morne Morkel can clock 85-90mph with ease. Same goes for Albie and Jacques Kallis who are criminally slow in the game.
Customisation, what?s the point? I can only improve Parnell?s pace by decreasing his accuracy, cut/spin or swing. Pointless, his bowling rating is a mere 60 in comparison to Steyn?s 84. A huge gulf and it shows.
Player and team ratings in general are fairly illogical, according to them Pakistan are a better fielding outfit than South Africa.
Also, just having a quick browse seems like they have made a few basic schoolboy errors. Botha is not an all-rounder in the game, just a bowler (a very poor one at that) and his batting is worse than Steyn. Justin Ontong is an offie in game but in reality he has been a pure batsman for over seven years. Albie Morkel is also classified as a bowler not a big hitting all-rounder, his batting rating is useless (50 odd) for a guy who averages over 40 in first class cricket.
Run-outs. Far too many for my liking, computer loves turning an easy two into a suicidal three.
No-balls, computer seems to have a penchant for them but have no problems in sending down immaculate lines. I've not seen a wide yet but in a mere 20 over game, the computer bowled 15 no-balls, 12 with spinners!
Legend's training - Boring and far too easy. Not even its target audience, ten year old kids would enjoy it. Warney is also beyond annoying, "try again".

Thanks for the review, probably the most honest, yet least promising review yet. I can see my review being similar to this.

The player rating/speed thing does worry me. Hopefully a player editor will be out shortly.

The annoying thing about the bowling speeds is that this would have been so easy to get right as it is based on provable fact!

And every cricket fan, roughly knows what someone balls...so if for example anderson trundles in at 70 mph, it ruins it....you want him as a rapid, swinging opening bowler who balls between 85-91...

Same with collingwood, but to a minor degree, 55mph!? the same as a spinner?! i know he is slow but..... It is a shame codies/transmission have got these wrong, and by the looks of it, with the SA team too, Parnell, Morkel etc. Lets hope they can be fixed, more so than the run outs for me...

Shoaib has the same action that he had in Brian Lara 05. Haven't played with or against Sri Lanka but I suppose Malinga has the same action, ditto Fidel Edwards.

The annoying thing about the bowling speeds is that this would have been so easy to get right as it is based on provable fact!

And every cricket fan, roughly knows what someone balls...so if for example anderson trundles in at 70 mph, it ruins it....you want him as a rapid, swinging opening bowler who balls between 85-91...

Same with collingwood, but to a minor degree, 55mph!? the same as a spinner?! i know he is slow but..... It is a shame codies/transmission have got these wrong, and by the looks of it, with the SA team too, Parnell, Morkel etc. Lets hope they can be fixed, more so than the run outs for me...

Fingers crossed after friday or maybe friday the disk will go into the console..or pc and a lil update flashes up!!:p

Well for me they are both big issues, but run outs would be more important. However, they must both be fixed.

I just want to hear the developers explain how these problems got through testing.

the player rating thing really doesent bothher me to be honest fair review tho cheers i believe the run outs is the major flaww but overall so far with all reviews in mind id give it a strong 8/10 im happy so far and the other annoying thing is choice of players in england squad example no onions is quite annoying

Thanks for the review, probably the most honest, yet least promising review yet. I can see my review being similar to this.

The player rating/speed thing does worry me. Hopefully a player editor will be out shortly.

Bit of killer when you have it on X-Box and you want to play online but you have 3 apparently fast bowlers who can't clock over 70mph and a useless spinner.

Just looking on live, only two players on the leaderboard so far and unsurprisingly I can't get a game, ranked or custom going.

Run outs most important! i suppose if you really wanted to could create parnell anderson etc urself and give them correct pace etc! seeing as non licensed team faces are not accurate it would work just the same!!

wealey88 added 2 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Bit of killer when you have it on X-Box and you want to play online but you have 3 apparently fast bowlers who can't clock over 70mph and a useless spinner.

Just looking on live, only two players on the leaderboard so far and unsurprisingly I can't get a game, ranked or custom going.

I no its not ideal and pretty ████... but if you wanted could you recreate your own parnell!?

Seeing as his face is not his and they dont have his name.. would it be pretty much the same!?

Rubbish i no... but slight solution?!

Fingers crossed after friday or maybe friday the disk will go into the console..or pc and a lil update flashes up!!:p

Wishful thinking!

The only reason i can think of is that the makers are trying to make sure there is some variety in the game, i guess a lot of bowlers now bowl in the mid 80's even the likes of kallis, bravo, zaheer, broad..... and if they were all the same speed it might appear boring? Im guessing the names mentioned above will all be targeted in the 70mph region and the "openers" in their teams so steyn, edwards, sharma, flintoff, will all be 80-90? After all, this would have been so easy to get right.

Same with the batting ratings that someone mentioned. Botha is a decent batsman, Panesar was rated above broad in the demo i believe, albie morkel is a good hitter....again we all know what these guys are like and it should be represented properly. Maybe Heath and the team should ask us for ideas on their ratings prior to a patch?

The problem is that when you are selling to an audience that love cricket (ie us lot!) that we will pick up on these things and i think it take away some realism.

Run outs most important! i suppose if you really wanted to could create parnell anderson etc urself and give them correct pace etc! seeing as non licensed team faces are not accurate it would work just the same!!

I can make Parnell quicker but I have to give up his points in accuracy or swing. I did but it only added 5mph, so instead of being 65mph he can now send them down at 70mph. I suppose if I take his accuracy rating down completely, I can get him up to 85mph! :noway

The only reason i can think of is that the makers are trying to make sure there is some variety in the game, i guess a lot of bowlers now bowl in the mid 80's even the likes of kallis, bravo, zaheer, broad..... and if they were all the same speed it might appear boring? Im guessing the names mentioned above will all be targeted in the 70mph region and the "openers" in their teams so steyn, edwards, sharma, flintoff, will all be 80-90? After all, this would have been so easy to get right.

You may be spot on here!... weird but possible right!.... i love realism so it does bother me.. but i cud deal with it... especially as you could create your own replica of players for non licensed teams cud u?!

wealey88 added 1 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

I can make Parnell quicker but I have to give up his points in accuracy or swing. I did but it only added 5mph, so instead of being 65mph he can now send them down at 70mph. I suppose if I take his accuracy rating down completely, I can get him up to 85mph!

What if you created a whole new player... started a fresh one. I remember the developers saying you could create your own player and but it into matches...

just trying to think of solutions!:)

wealey88 added 2 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

I no its not ideal and pretty ████... but if you wanted could you recreate your own parnell!?

Seeing as his face is not his and they dont have his name.. would it be pretty much the same!?

Rubbish i no... but slight solution?!

Not made a player yet but surely I wouldn't be able to use a more accurate reflection of a cricketer online anyhow. It just be default squads, so two quicks who are actually quick, the rest pedestrian.

Not made a player yet but surely I wouldn't be able to use a more accurate reflection of a cricketer online anyhow. It just be default squads, so two quicks who are actually quick, the rest pedestrian.

Ah yeah... online would prob be a problem... but then again everyone would be in the same boat!!

Played a 20/20 and 50 over game in Brisbane but the atmosphere didn't seem all that, very sedate.

Also, don't like when you take a wicket and it takes the bowler ten seconds to realise it whilst the rest could hardly give a toss.

Haven't had an LBW shout yet but I bowled Akmal first ball with a Dale Steyn slower ball. When you bowl with Steyn and players who rate over 80, you actually feel confident that you can take wickets. Just a shame you have too many passengers in your attack, who can't buy you a wicket because they are too slow/or have awful ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread