Review Retail Version Impressions Thread

sorry if this has been asked before. and i really dont need to ask it (considering i will have the game in about 1 hour, probs wont be able to play it for a couple since i need to help a mate with his network, i hope he doesnt want to rewire it all cause then one of us will have to get in the roof but that is offtopic lol) but i have been dieing to know about the player customization/ creation. because i will no doubt insert my self into the australian team as a bowling allrounder and drop hilfenhaus (seeing as i am a swingbolwer in real life haha seems a good trade)

so if anyone can let me know how the player creation is i would appreciate it alot
if not i will find out later today

ps cheers for all the running commentary for the guys doing so. :clap
so excited lol:D

I've already mentioned it but you can't edit the Australia or England in customisation, so Anderson, Broad and House will always be trundlers in the console version and you can't add yourself or other created players into those sides. There is only 16 available slots at the start of the game to create players.

A few more thoughts after playing the game for more than 8 hours (on hard)...

Still haven't had an LBW yet or one given against me. I've not even had a shout for one with a quick and it isn't because I'm woefully poor, they just don't happen.
Still haven't been caught at slips on the front foot against the seamers, I can misstime ever ball and they will always fall short.
No-balls seem to be a big problem, the computer just keeps bowling them. I just had 20 bowled in a 20/20 game, again 12 or more by the spinners!
Still haven't seen a wide yet. Computer bowls stump-to-stump, full or short, never an in-between length.
Another real concern I have with the game is that the half-volley seems to be the required length to bowl on this game. Normal length is far too short on any wicket. I was pulling and hooking on a normal fullish length.
Don't get to use all the shots as the computer never bowls three foot outside off-stump, so you can't cut unless you take guard outside leg-stump.
Bug from the demo remains, computer bowls a yorker and you go to play a front foot shot but instead he plays a back foot hook. Really is annoying as it happens three times too many against the spinners, who seemingly bowl yorkers every other ball. Spinners natural or good length on the game is so full and if you bowl a normal length (like you would see a real spinner bowl) you get smashed by them on the back foot. :facepalm
Finally got the quick bowlers speeds accurate for New Zealand and South Africa. Now India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland and Kenya to go!
I played about ten games with both sides, tried out all the bowlers to get the speeds down to what I feel is an accurate representation. So instead of O'Brien bowling 63mph, he now opens the bowling at around 80-82mph, Butler 85mph (from 95mph!), Oram 78mph, Mills, 81mph. For South Africa on average, Steyn 90mph, Morne Morkel 88mph, Albie 86mph, Kallis 83mph, Ntini 82mph and Parnell 85mph.
If you want the game to feel realistic and you have the console version, be prepared to waste a few hours dicking with customisation to get the game right.

Last edited:
im 109 all out and at the end of day 1 australia are 11/0. 1st innings australia 100 all out and england 109 all out 2nd innings australia 11/0 . truly a great game ive gone from making 350 odd in the 1st innings of the first test to making 109 in the 1st innings off the 2nd test and its the same with the AI its truly amazing

hey good job with the pace editing. but I guess Oram and Kallis have mow lost batting points? Since youve increased their pace?

hey good job with the pace editing. but I guess Oram and Kallis have mow lost batting points? Since youve increased their pace?

I just made Kallis a fast bowler, put his pace bowling down and used the remaining points to make his batting better (88 from 82/84?). In fact Kallis has too many points, his bowling rate and fielding rate is too good.

As I said, if you want accurate bowling speeds, every fast bowler has to be classified as 'fast'. Fast medium with nearly full pace is good for someone like Oram (and Vaas), as he never breaks over 80mph but bowls there or there abouts all the time in the game.

Last edited:
Well Kallis is the best all rounder in cricket today so maybe bowling and fielding points are justified.

Since you have changed bowlers to fast has the ai bowled with them because Lee is set to fast and he can get like 95 easily. So what if ai can manage to get Kallis at that speed when bowling?

Last edited:
I've already mentioned it but you can't edit the Australia or England in customisation, so Anderson, Broad and House will always be trundlers in the console version and you can't add yourself or other created players into those sides. There is only 16 available slots at the start of the game to create players.

A few more thoughts after playing the game for more than 8 hours (on hard)...

Still haven't had an LBW yet or one given against me. I've not even had a shout for one with a quick and it isn't because I'm woefully poor, they just don't happen.
Still haven't been caught at slips on the front foot against the seamers, I can misstime ever ball and they will always fall short.

No-balls seem to be a big problem, the computer just keeps bowling them. I just had 20 bowled in a 20/20 game, again 12 or more by the spinners!
Still haven't seen a wide yet. Computer bowls stump-to-stump, full or short, never an in-between length.
Another real concern I have with the game is that the half-volley seems to be the required length to bowl on this game. Normal length is far too short on any wicket. I was pulling and hooking on a normal fullish length.
Don't get to use all the shots as the computer never bowls three foot outside off-stump, so you can't cut unless you take guard outside leg-stump.
Bug from the demo remains, computer bowls a yorker and you go to play a front foot shot but instead he plays a back foot hook. Really is annoying as it happens three times too many against the spinners, who seemingly bowl yorkers every other ball. Spinners natural or good length on the game is so full and if you bowl a normal length (like you would see a real spinner bowl) you get smashed by them on the back foot. :facepalm
Finally got the quick bowlers speeds accurate for New Zealand and South Africa. Now India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland and Kenya to go!
I played about ten games with both sides, tried out all the bowlers to get the speeds down to what I feel is an accurate representation. So instead of O'Brien bowling 63mph, he now opens the bowling at around 80-82mph, Butler 85mph (from 95mph!), Oram 78mph, Mills, 81mph. For South Africa on average, Steyn 90mph, Morne Morkel 88mph, Albie 86mph, Kallis 83mph, Ntini 82mph and Parnell 85mph.
If you want the game to feel realistic and you have the console version, be prepared to waste a few hours dicking with customisation to get the game right.

all in bold have happened to me, although the wides happened off my spin bowling.

for the person concerned with customization...

pick name, and then role

pick skin type, face and sun cream

then distribute points between fielding, bowling, batting. think its like 150 or something maybe less.

batting includes things like, timing, presicion, power etc

bowling stats are like pace, accuracy, spin or what not

fielding is obv things like catching, speed etc

hope that clears it up

Well Kallis is the best all rounder in cricket today so maybe bowling and fielding points are justified.

Since you have changed bowlers to fast has the ai bowled with them because Lee is set to fast and he can get like 95 easily. So what if ai can manage to get Kallis at that speed when bowling?

Computer bowling with Kallis clocked in the highest around 88mph but the average speed was around 84mph.

TT Boy added 3 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

all in bold have happened to me, although the wides happened off my spin bowling.

for the person concerned with customization...

pick name, and then role

pick skin type, face and sun cream

then distribute points between fielding, bowling, batting. think its like 150 or something maybe less.

batting includes things like, timing, presicion, power etc

bowling stats are like pace, accuracy, spin or what not

fielding is obv things like catching, speed etc

hope that clears it up

Did you have an LBW against a top six batsman with a quick bowler (on hard), same goes for an edge?

is there a practice/nets option?

Don't think so. The learning tool is that god awful legend mode with Beefy and Warney.
Hit six sixes in an over but the ai computer on easy bowls two no-balls in the over! :laugh
Or face 'hostile' West Indian bowling and attempt to hook your way to 30 runs. The bowling is the essence of harmless, even though you are batting with Zimbabwe!
Took me a couple of minutes to get used to easy on that mode as your timing is completely different, much more like Brian Lara 07.

It sounds like the computer pacing issues can be fixed easily by just changing the bowlers from Fast-Medium to Fast and you don't even have to waste any skill points.

The only issue is that we can't change the Aussie and English players but that'll get editted by PC somewhere down the line.

You say that there are only 16 slots for created players. If I wanted to say replace Zimbabwe with Victoria, could I edit all the Zimbabwe players to make them Victorian players and I'd only have to put up with the Zimbabwe kit and naming? That wouldn't count in the 16 created players slots?

Hey Jazz you played with India Do you know what were there bowling speeds like? Did Ishant and Zaheer atleast bowl in mid 80's?

nimish_sach added 3 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Also the faces of Asian Players in English team looks amazing. Shah Bopara and Monty. Looks stunning and real.

Thanks for all the updates.

A quick question, how hard is batting.

I have a request. Can someone who has the game post the squad for the Indian team? I really want to know which players are in the game. As far as the LBWs are concerned, I managed to get 3 LBWs in demo(3 in same match). I don't get alot because i don't pitch alot in line with the stumps. One thing is so dumb in this game and it is that the marker is always dark green(easy to hit) when it is pitched in line with the middle stump. I think in real cricket, it is harder to hit well pitched ball going for the middle stump than to hit a delivery that is way off the off stump. When you pitch it wide off the off stump, it is yellow. I don't get this. Where this game has taken many steps forward, it has taken many steps backwards as well for example no wides from AI, too many no balls, not alot of LBWs, and the edges react as if they have ben edged off of a 30mph delivery. I am not well satisfied with this game as I was when I read the interview. Now, I am just waiting for another cricket game to come out which and I think it would be cricket revolution.

Last edited:
Nice. PS3 I'm guessing?

I'm trying around Melbourne for the PC version. I've had no luck so far except I'm getting called back from a lady at JB at about 12 who said they are getting in the PC version today. She was very dumb so this may work in my advantage (or just get my hopes up).

Users who are viewing this thread