Review Retail Version Impressions Thread

The ONLY cricket game i am playing a full day

What a game this really is i'm currently playing the ashes and it is 2nd to none.

I'm Australia i lost the toss and they put themselves into bat got them all out for 230 thought it would be easy to build a total bigger than that, how wrong i was with just Brad Haddin bringing in a 50* to save my blushes as i was all out for 178.

Just when you think the game can't get any better England were 52/0 and 5 wickets for just 18 runs has really put me back in this game, no sleep tonight i don't think.

Got it from Asda btw for ?25 what a bargain.

ok whats with all the "Stop slogging and play along the ground" ??

the game should MAKE you scared of slogging....it shouldnt be a voluntary thing....
unless your geoffrey boycott or sunil gavaskar.:sarcasm

Sureshot's review of 68% is spot on.............and to be honest this version (ps3) doesn't come close to the 'buzz' or 'feel' I got from Shane Warne cricket (BLC99) 10 years ago or so.........I've only had it a day or so now and can already 'take it or leave it'.

As mentioned AI is just too random, e.g. LBW's especially are sort of 'given' to you by ridiculous AI batting shot selection rather than earned. They will just play some totally random attacking backfoot shot to a full ball on middle stump??

Great to have edges implemented, but sometimes it gets silly with 4+ balls being edged an over sometimes, and the amount of edges sometimes takes the LBW out of play far too often, to the point that it is very rare that the ball just hits the pad (if ever - minus the LBW method of dismissal described above).

Personally I think the bowling/batting system (that has been used in a similar fashion in all cricket games ever made) needs throwing out and something more revolutionary implemented. In the case of Ashes cricket 2009 they have made slight changes to that age old system - all of which, in my personal opinion, have been for the worse. It's just far too easy to plonk the ball down into any area of the pitch, and I hate being told what is a 'good' or better length to bowl via the colour mapping - especially when it suggests u only should be placing the ball into a very small area around the batsmans feet!

The bowling meter is another annoyance and should have only been utilised for speed (i.e. hit the sweet spot get best speed, just past that it is a 'no ball') - it is nonsense that a ball becomes easier to hit by the batsman if you don't hit a sweet spot on the meter. If the meter was for speed you could vary your pace as you liked (which can't be done in this game except by bowling a slow ball or if the AI decides it for you via the accuracy meter).

Hence bowling is a boring mini game exercise of 'place the bowling circle on spot of right colour within an area 10% of the total pitch size - check! - stop line at optimum colour on bowling meter - check! - now hope like hell computer AI decides to do something dumb!, repeat till sleep is induced.......'

Strangely enough that is the FUN part of this game, the batting (which has historically been the more fun part of cricket games) is made tedious by the lack of bowling variation by the computer AI. Also often on the backfoot the game seems to play a shot totally diferent to that which you attempted?

I think fielding is well implemented, again another 'mini game' which in this case is actually fun. Only concern however is that the amount of catches dropped by the AI controlled team is way too high, and the again very random stumpings of AI players.

Of course I don't need to mention the ps1 style faces, the fact in edit mode I couldn't fit the word 'Brendon' in (as in McCullum),the horrible bowling speeds, the lack of/restrictions in editing ability, the lack of carry to the wicket keeper and slips, silly AI runouts, poorly implemented sound files etc

The game is better than EA's usually bollocks, it's better than this century's Brian Lara bug fests, but it aint better (taking into account the difference between PS1 and PS3) than Shane warne cricket 99 (BLC99)!

Not to say the developers are not on the right track and successive versions could be great............However you've got to wonder why developers, however small they are, can't better a game put out 10 years ago on playstation 1...........

Last edited:
Love the game it's a ripper!

I've had no prblems with the run outs I got a stumping through some real tight bowling which was good to see!

I've created 16 players and have made my own side. Love it how u can choose ur best 11 for all forms and save it so you generally don't have to go through and change all the time. I'll most likely edit 7 players names from zim n Kenya and stick into my team. I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to build my team through skills points. My top 3 rated batsmen do okay but my bowlers struggle becuase of the lack of skills in one area or another!

I played an odi on easy as australia trying to get the fastest ton and top score in odi to unlock some kits . Played against Kenya and I just bashed it round. Ponting got out fir 87 but I reached the ton with Clarke and he's on 112 and I had to save and I'll finish later.

Anyway that unlocked me a couple of bat a grey nicholls Bradbury some brand I've never heard of and some gm gn and slazenger n kookaburra pads and gloves. I think I'll try do the same with 400 in a test etc because Im not the kind of person to keep saving games n re starting on. A certain score with somone. I just wanna unlock most if the kits to make the game look more attractive and realistic by fulling jotting out my team and the other unlisencdd nations.

Anyone unlocked any kits themselds yet?

Guys i have a question. Does the players stats/skill increase? Does it show stats in a menu like cricket 07 or does it just flash up on screen when playing match? My 2 questions. Thanks.

wow i told you this is going to be the best cricket game ever... now i am waiting for the first patch

I have one question.

How many overs you can simulate? in BLIC 2007 we had option of i over or innings. are there more options like in EA?

Damn, My expectations were so high untill moday. Since people have actually started playing the game all i hear is just complaints. Personally, after playing the demo, i thought it was an OK game. I hope the developers will bring out a patch to sort out all these issues.

Damn, My expectations were so high untill moday. Since people have actually started playing the game all i hear is just complaints. Personally, after playing the demo, i thought it was an OK game. I hope the developers will bring out a patch to sort out all these issues.

I think there are still lots of positive things being said and of course people will intensely play the game when they first get it and as things settle down will give a more measured response although I must admit that I am keeping my expecations in check. I know it is going to be better than BLIC2007 (which isn't hard, Pac-Man is better than that or free-cell!) and thats all I am asking for at this moment and I am sure once there is lots of online play we will here positive stories!

Alright i just got back home from school and im ready to continue my ODI match against Pakistan and im playing as Australia. I was 1/46 of 10 when i went off last night.:)

Alright i just got back home from school and im ready to continue my ODI match against Pakistan and im playing as Australia. I was 1/46 of 10 when i went off last night.:)

nice, keep us posted. Is it on PC? if so then screen shots would be appreciated.

nice, keep us posted. Is it on PC? if so then screen shots would be appreciated.

nah mate its on ps3

spaga1994 added 18 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

oooh marsh dropped in the 12.3 over a fairly easy catch to the keeper. I trived to cover drive a ball that was too wide. 1/55

edit- two balls later and marsh has been run out i hit it to gully and didnt realise there was a fielder there so i set of for a run and the fielder threw the stumps down 2/55:( Michael Clakre now at the crease.......disaster ive advanced down the track and hit the ball straight to mid off. Ponting now gone on 9 two new batsmen at the crease and im in trouble. i need a good solid partnership now

seems as if after iv come home from school my timming has been lost:(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread