Richie Benaud XI Draft

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Everyone that has picked middle order batsman and number 3 batsman so far- please give me the links to show that they can bat in the position that you have put them in. I am too lazy to do it all by myself so please help me out by just doing it for your players.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I think I'm safe with Lara and Greg in the middle order. Wally Hammond has played 52 inns at number 3 while 80 inns at numbers 4 and 5.

----------

Wally Hammond in my middle order.
I've picked him as my number 3. I'll see what Shravi says.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
My Test openers:

Matthew Hayden: Destructive is one way to describe Australia's greatest opener, yes that includes Arthur Morris. A Test average of 50, with 30 centuries and the ability to slay new ball bowlers make him a bigger threat than almost any other opener in any other team...ever. He also had an appetite for scoring big runs, holding the record for the highest single innings score ever (380) until Lara came about and wacked 400.
Tests 103
Runs 8625
Average 50.00
Highest Score 380
100s 30

Hanif Muhammad: Wouldn't be the first on many peoples list but for me he is one of the classiest batsmen at the position and a perfect compliment to the more aggressive Hayden. He scored a dogged 499, then the highest first class score in cricket history. He also played one of the longest innings ever recorded, a mammoth 970 minute, 337, against a formidable West Indies. Some of cricket's elite also claim Hanif was the creator of the reverse sweep.
Tests 55
Runs 3915
Average 43.98
Highest Score 337
100s 12

----------

I think I'm safe with Lara and Greg in the middle order. Wally Hammond has played 52 inns at number 3 while 80 inns at numbers 4 and 5.

----------

His played the majority of his innings at 4-5, thus within the rules this time.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India

----------

Also found a quick way to check batting by position in the statsguru. Don't click advanced search. Just do the basic one and tick "batting formats" and then scroll down.

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Everyone that has picked middle order batsman and number 3 batsman so far- please give me the links to show that they can bat in the position that you have put them in. I am too lazy to do it all by myself so please help me out by just doing it for your players.
On that note, can I put Vinoo Mankad to open (he has a fairly good record there) and use 1 opener pick to get another middle order batsman?
It adds more to the balance of my side. I did that for the all-time India draft too, put Mankad to open.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
no. his played majority of his innings at 4 or 5 shravi, in fact 28 more than he did at 3. so under the rules I should be allowed to pick him in my middle order.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
On that note, can I put Vinoo Mankad to open (he has a fairly good record there) and use 1 opener pick to get another middle order batsman?
It adds more to the balance of my side. I did that for the all-time India draft too, put Mankad to open.

No, you can't because then we would have all planned to do something like that. All rounders go between 4-8.

Come on guys, just follow the rules. It's really not that hard.

Also user, no problems with Lara and Chappell. I also know there will be no problems with Waugh, Tendulkar, Ponting.

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
no. his played majority of his innings at 4 or 5 shravi, in fact 28 more than he did at 3. so under the rules I should be allowed to pick him in my middle order.

Alright. I guess that means that user cannot have him. Sorry user lol.

yea yea read your post ccricket icon, just a little slow to reply that's all. calm down lol.

However, that being said. Let's just try to reach a general consensus about this as we said we would in extreme cases like this. Wally Hammond is widely regarded as a number 3 batsman with 14 centuries and 4 fifties at number 3. He has 7 centuries and 18 fifties from 4-7. It's clear that he dominated at number three like very few others have. Let's see what others say. For now though, you can have him. In fact, even Richie himself had Wally shortlisted for his number 3 position which Bradman eventually (and obviously) took.

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
I say you can pick Wally Hammond at 4. Only issue being you have to use his stats from that position, which aren't so great. As a number 4, he was average really. You can find better number 4s; his career as a number 3 shouldn't play a role.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I say you can pick Wally Hammond at 4. Only issue being you have to use his stats from that position, which aren't so great. As a number 4, he was average really. You can find better number 4s; his career as a number 3 shouldn't play a role.

Yeah, I think I agree with that. He played 31 more innings between 4-7 but only scored 54 more runs than he did at number 3. I think that is a hugely significant stat. He averaged 75 at number 3 (52 innings) with 14 centuries and 4 fifties. At number 4 (66 innings) he averaged 51 with 7 centuries and 15 fifties.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
It's cricket icon's choice and sifter's opinion that can decide this. Myself and zorax agreed that he can have him but the tradeoff is massive drop in quality (still very good stats but I don't think you can say he dominated as you say with his #3 stats). We would only be looking at his #4 stats when we look at his final line up and so all the runs he scored at #3 are irrelevant. So cricket icon, knowing that, do you still want him?

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
phoooo erm....very good work guys. I didn't see the stats for his position at 4 only. Still an average of 51 and is very good and considering others have picked people who I would have as my first choices for the middle order any way I'll keep Wally.

----------

So my team so far:

1. Hanif Muhammad
2. Matthew Hayden
4. Wally Hammond
5. Javed Miandad
6. Tony Greig
7. Adam Gilchrist wk
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Muttiah Muralitharan
10. Waqar Younis
11. Courtney Walsh

----------

pretty chuffed with that. A sort of B list of all time greats in a way, but coming together as a team...WOW. Three guys who can open the bowling, 2 with serious pace.
Still waiting for my number three...who can it be...

Users who are viewing this thread