Rugby 08: A Highlanders World League Journey

Oh no, hard luck. A good 1st 5/8 is pretty essential in this game to win consistently on elite, I think. Is that the area that's letting you down?

March 20, 2010 - Highlanders Vs Leeds

Only 1 change was made to the side who lost to Glasgow the previous week with Adam Thomson dropped for Alando Soakai. The Leeds weirdly had normally Second Row, Pendlebury playing at full back. This should be a good match and Highlanders will be looking for a second victory in the season.

Highlanders

1. Jamie Mackintosh
2. Jason Rutledge
3. Nic Henderson
4. Tom Donnelly
5. Hayden Triggs
6. Alando Soakai
7. Juan Smith
8. Stephen Setephano
9. Jimmy Cowan (C)
10. Michael Hobbs
11. Fetu’u Vainikolo
12. Jason Shoemark
13. Kenny Lynn
14. Ben Smith
15. Israel Dagg

16. Jason Macdonald
17. Chris King
18. Josh Bekhuis
19. John Hardie
20. Scott Cowan
21. Chris Noakes
22. Rob Robinson

Leeds

1. Gareth Hardy
2. Steve Thompson
3. Juan Gomez
4. Phil Murphy
5. Marco Wentzel
6. Alfie To’oala
7. Hendre Fourie
8. Rhys Oakley
9. Scott Mathie
10. Ceiron Thomas (C)
11. Peter Wackett
12. Scott Barrow
13. Michael Stephenson
14. Jon Goodridge
15. Jonathan Pendlebury

A maul was formed off the Leeds kickoff. The ball was released by Cowan before being cut back on the inside for Dagg to run free and only a good tackle from the fullback stopped him from scoring and somehow, Highlanders kept the ball in the ruck and was grubbered down field before it was cleaned up by Goodridge and tackled. The Highlanders got the first real attacking opportunity of the game when Pendlebury was hit in a crunching tackle from Vainikolo, removing the ball. After some runs from the forwards to get them closer to the line. Mackintosh was able to go over from close range to give the Highlanders a 5-0, less than 10 minutes in. The try was easily converted to have the score line at 7-0. A pretty comical try was scored when Hobbs attempted a drop goal but missed by a mile which the ball ended up in the in goal area on the wing which Ben Smith dived on to score the Highlanders second try and the Highlanders led 12-0 with a kick to come from the sideline. The kick went well wide and after 15 minutes, the Highlanders led 12-0. The decision to play Pendlebury at full back proved costly as he dropped a punt 5 metres out from his own line giving the Highlanders the perfect chance to score. A nice chip kick over to the wing from Shoemark then brought Smith his second try as he took it on the first bounce before running around to score as close to the posts as possible. The try was converted and the Highlanders were running away with the game with a 19 point lead after 20 minutes. 35 minutes in, the Highlanders scored another try with Lynn going over way too easily after being put in a hole so close to the line. With the score at 26-0 nearing half time, the Highlanders had to win from here. The Highlanders went into the break with the 26-0 lead but what would the second half have in stall for them?

1_137.jpg

Mackintosh is Over to give the Highlanders an Early Lead

2_52.jpg

Drop goal Attempt Brings Try to Smith

3_22.jpg

Smith Scores his Second Try

4_28.jpg

Lynn increases the lead even further

The Highlanders continued their dominance into the second half but unfortunately, they were unable to convert it into points. 54 minutes gone and still no change from the half time score line. Leeds managed to put on some consolation with a penalty goal but it wasn’t going to make any difference in the context of the game, while Soakai was sent to the sin bin for the dangerous tackle that gave them the penalty. As the time went on, neither side managed to score points and by the end of the game, the penalty goal was the only points scored in the second half, Highlanders going home 26-3 winners although it probably should have been more. They will be hoping for more of the same in the upcoming weeks.

5_28.jpg

Vainikolo Boots it into Touch to Finish the Game

Last edited:
ok so Fly Half, that's what I thought. It's just that he said first 5/8 and the first bit confused me. The 5/8 made me thought Fly Half cause it's pretty much the equivalent in league.

And no, it's not really the area letting me down. Berquist is good although he is injured and Hobbs isn't that bad. The area that lets me down is tackling the fullback when he sprints 50 metres before I finally tackle him and then trying to force a turnover in the ruck and they just get closer until they score sometimes. And unable to convert chances into points is another thing as I get a great chance one on one but I get tackled and the ball is turned over in the ruck.

March 26, 2010 - Racing Metro Vs Highlanders

The Highlanders dropped Nic Henderson who wasn’t in the best form for this match, with Chris King coming back into the squad. The only other change for the Highlanders was Hayden Triggs dropped for Joe Tuineau. After coming off a huge win over the Leeds the previous week, confidence would be high and a win against Racing Metro could be on the cards to move the Highlanders up the ladder. The only change in the Starting XV to the side who beat Highlanders earlier in the season in the KO Cup was Mani Vakaloa in for Dan Scarbrough.

Highlanders

1. Jamie Mackintosh
2. Jason Rutledge
3. Chris King
4. Tom Donnelly
5. Joe Tuineau
6. Alando Soakai
7. Juan Smith
8. Stephen Setephano
9. Jimmy Cowan (C)
10. Michael Hobbs
11. Fetu’u Vainikolo
12. Jason Shoemark
13. Kenny Lynn
14. Ben Smith
15. Israel Dagg

16. Jason Macdonald
17. Nic Henderson
18. Josh Bekhuis
19. John Hardie
20. Scott Cowan
21. Chris Noakes
22. Rob Robinson

Racing Metro

1. Andrea Lo Cicero
2. Carlo Festuccia
3. Julien Brugnaut
4. Santiago Dellape
5. Lionel Nallet
6. Alvaro Galindo
7. Jacques Cronje
8. Seb Chabal
9. Jerome Fillol (C)
10. Juan Hernandez
11. Sireli Bobo
12. Mirco Bergamasco
13. Epi Taione
14. Mani Vakaloa
15. Francois Steyn

16. Ben Noirit
17. Craig Smith
18. Simon Raiwalui
19. Jone Qovu
20. Jonathan Wisniewski
21. JP Orlandi
22. Julien Saubade

It was barely a minute before Highlanders gave away an unfortunate penalty when Lynn’s kick was charged down into the back of another Highlanders player who was in front of the kicker and offside was the penalty given, the kick going over from about 40 metres out to give Racing Metro a 3-0 lead. The lead was increased to 8 points when Epi Taione went over next to the posts and the try was easily converted to give Racing Metro a 10 point lead, only 10 minutes in. Jimmy Cowan put Donnelly into score as he charged over from a few metres out and the Highlanders were behind 10-7 after the conversion. A great hit from Juan Smith on the fullback brought Lynn a try on the next phase after Lynn ran 50 metres to score and put the Highlanders in the lead after 23 minutes. Chances came for both sides during the half but neither team could score points and it was 14-10 at the break, the Highlanders way. It would be an exciting second half.

1_130.jpg

Racing Metro Take an Early 10 Point Lead

2_54.jpg

Donnelly goes over to get Highlanders back within 3

3_40.jpg

Lynn Puts his Team In the Lead

Hobbs kicked a drop goal 8 minutes into the second half to increase the lead to 7 points. It didn’t take long though for Racing Metro to take their lead back, a try near the corner and a good kick squared it all up. The ball went from end to end but it was Racing Metro’s defence which finally cracked, the captain, Jimmy Cowan going over out of the ruck to give his team a 22-17 lead going into the final 10 minutes, after the conversion wasn’t a great one, going well to the right of the posts. Racing Metro went for it but they couldn’t get across the line and a missed drop goal attempt from Hobbs signaled the end of the game. The Highlanders grabbed a needed win, 22 points to 17. They now sat in 5th place with 3 wins and 2 losses along with 2 bonus points, sitting on 14 points, 6 points behind the A & G Lions in first place.

4_28.jpg

Hobbs kicks a Drop Goal

5_27.jpg

The Captain Scores the Winning Try

6_27.jpg

The Highlanders Players Celebrate after a Win

In NZ we call a "Fly-half", a first five-eight, and a "Scrum-half", a Half-back. :p

A good couple of wins in your last few of matches, to get your season back on track.

Is Robbie Robinson in the game? (I assume he's Rob Robinson)
He's Southland's 1st 5/8 (or Fly-half), and is having a great time in this seasons ITM cup.

ok. Yeah, Rob Robinson is in the game as a fullback, check the first post for the full squad and just sub in Henderson and Juan Smith in for Newland and Nasi Manu for the current squad.

I know, I saw that.
In RL though he's more a 1st 5/8, fullback is his "second" position.
In next years super 15, there's a good chance he might be starting for the Highlanders at 1st 5/8.

His second position might be fly half but I don't know for sure. It's got him down as a fullback on the Highlanders wikipedia page as well.

Ok, it's just that this season for Southland he's been playing 1st 5/8, and been in great form.

I know, I saw that.
In RL though he's more a 1st 5/8, fullback is his "second" position.
In next years super 15, there's a good chance he might be starting for the Highlanders at 1st 5/8.
I'm not too sure where he'll play next year. We have Dagg leaving and Colin Slade coming. I'll guess that Robinson will be at Full Back and Slade at First Five, and Ben Smith playing at 12. Although I prefer Ben Smith at Full Back, then we would have to put Slade or Robinson in the centres. The same thing happened with Dagg and Smith last year where Smith had to play wing (Although he made the AB's as a winger:p)

Good going Hedger, the Highlanders are back on track and have a bit of momentum now with two on the trot.

April 3, 2010 - Bennetton Vs Highlanders

Matt Berquist was back from injury and brought back into the squad, in place of Hobbs who dropped back to the bench. Mackintosh meanwhile was dropped for Bronson Murray who would play in his first game of the season. The Highlanders after back to back wins would be wanting to make it 3 on the trot and get back in the title race.

Highlanders

1. Bronson Murray
2. Jason Rutledge
3. Chris King
4. Tom Donnelly
5. Joe Tuineau
6. Alando Soakai
7. Juan Smith
8. Stephen Setephano
9. Jimmy Cowan (C)
10. Matt Berquist
11. Fetu?u Vainikolo
12. Jason Shoemark
13. Kenny Lynn
14. Ben Smith
15. Israel Dagg

16. Jason Macdonald
17. Nic Henderson
18. Josh Bekhuis
19. John Hardie
20. Scott Cowan
21. Michael Hobbs
22. Rob Robinson

Bennetton

1. Bryan Young
2. Leonardo Ghiraldini
3. Agusto Allori
4. Antonio Pavanello (C)
5. Enrico Pavanello
6. Benjamin Vermaak
7. Alessandro Zanni
8. Dion Kingi
9. Tobias Botes
10. Andrew Marcato
11. Benjamin de Jager
12. Fraser Waters
13. Gonzalo Garcia
14. Alberto Sgarbi
15. Luke McLean

16. Giorgio Intoppa
17. Salvatore Costanzo
18. Michele Sutto
19. Silvio Orlando
20. Danny Lee
21. Marius Goosen
22. Andrew Vilk

Berquist had the first shot at points 5 minutes in with a drop goal attempt which cannoned against the upright before the fullback cleaned it up before being tackled. It took 14 minutes for the first points to be scored an offside penalty giving Berquist the chance to give the Highlanders a 3-0 lead and he put it over. Dion Kingi gave his team the lead though after Ben Smith?s tackle wasn?t enough to stop him from scoring in the corner. Marcato hit it well from the touch line and it went over giving Bennetton a 7-3 lead. Ben Smith though scored his 3rd try in 3 games after going over close to the posts after 29 minutes. The conversion was successful from Berquist and the Highlanders led 10-7. It took barely a minute though for Bennetton to regain the lead with another try in the corner from de Jager. Marcato converted it from the sideline to make it 2 from 2 as Bennetton led 14-10. The scores remained the same going into half time and the Highlanders would now have to come from behind to win.

1_94.jpg

Dion Kingi goes over in the corner

2_15.jpg

Ben Smith Scores his 3rd Try in 3 Games

3_47.jpg

Not long before Bennetton take back the Lead

Garcia scored first in the second half and the lead was increased to 11 points after 43 minutes. The Highlanders dominated the next 20 minutes and they finally scored through the captain, Jimmy Cowan from out of the ruck to get the Highlanders back in it at 21-17 after the kick. A try in the 68th minutes though probably sealed the game for Bennetton as they took a 28-17 lead. The Highlanders risked it with a kick to the sideline from the kickoff and won the opposition lineout. The first phase saw the set play with Israel Dagg chipping across to Vainikolo who dived on the ball in the in goal area to put the Highlanders within 4 again into the final 10 minutes. Shoemark went so close to scoring the 80th minute but a tackle around the ankles from the fullback saved the game for Bennetton as a turnover in the ruck gave Bennetton the chance to boot the ball into touch for a 28-24 win.

4_25.jpg

Garcia runs away to Score

5_21.jpg

Cowan shows his Abilities at Scrum Half as he Scores

6_36.jpg

Vainikolo keeps Highlanders in with a Chance

7_29.jpg

A great tackle from the fullback saves the day for Bennetton

Another close loss, these must be really hurting your title chances.
I've never even heard of Bennetton. (Just looked them up and they're pretty much the best Italian domestic side)
Can you post a table with the next update?

Users who are viewing this thread