Saurav Ganguly may come back in less tham six months - Selectors

Do You want Ganguly Back?

• Total voters
saisrini80 said:
Now the thing to be seen is, whether he will be inducted into the final 14. Highly unlikely, but Ganguly's fans have the right to be optimistic and I am optimistic of his return to international cricket!

i think Ganguly might be included in top14 as this is the big tournament... Its still tough task to be in 11.... but if he gets such chance, he shd utilise atleast this time to prove himself....

I think he'll find it very difficult to get into the top 14. Especially after his form of late. The only thing he has working for him is India's 4-1 loss in the Carribbean.

sohummisra said:
I think he'll find it very difficult to get into the top 14.

As its a big tournament, experience may play a role here... but as i said before, its too too tooo tough to enter top11!!!!

Return of Ganguly

Cricinfo said:
Ganguly included in probables list

Cricinfo staff

August 9, 2006

Sourav Ganguly, the former Indian captain, has been named among the 30 probables for the Champions Trophy to be held in India in October. Zaheer Khan, Anil Kumble and VVS Laxman have also been included.

Probables list
Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Suresh Raina, Irfan Pathan, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Harbhajan Singh, Ramesh Powar, Dinesh Mongia, Ajit Agarkar, Sreesanth, Munaf Patel, Rudra Pratap Singh, Sourav Ganguly, Anil Kumble, Zaheer Khan, VVS Laxman, Venugopal Rao, Robin Uthappa, Gautam Gambhir, Piyush Chawla, S Badrinath, Rohit Sharma, TP Singh, Shib Paul, VRV Singh, Parthiv Patel (wk), Dinesh Karthik (wk).

? Cricinfo

Credit: Cricinfo.

Could this spell the return of Ganguly, such news would not make cricinfo if it is not substanciated.

There are many cricketers who are good cricketers AND in better form than Ganguly. It doesn't make sense to drop these players to usher Ganguly in on the back of experience.

Getting into the top 30 is moot--a Ganguly supporter would hope he was one of the top 30 players in the nation. Cutting it to the actual 14 will be tough:

The batsmen in the 30 are:

Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Suresh Raina, Dinesh Mongia, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, Venugopal Rao, Robin Uthappa, Gautam Gambhir

The first 5 pick themselves. We will probably play one more batsman in a match, and pick 1/2 more extra. Ganguly is in contention with Raina, Mongia and Laxman. I think Raina will make the cut, but if it comes down to form, Mongia still wins out.

sorry for bumping this thread ...but a good news for Ganguly fans ....

Sourav Ganguly was undoubtedly the star of the third day of the Duleep Trophy match between East Zone and North Zone at Guwahati, as his undefeated 118 lifted East Zone to 215 for 4.

Read the whole article here

Yes a very good news for Ganguly.Also one of the selectors said that this is the last chance for Kaif and Raina to prove themselves bcoz Laxman and Ganguly can make a comeback if they perform well in domestic cricket.

gaurav_indian said:
Yes a very good news for Ganguly.Also one of the selectors said that this is the last chance for Kaif and Raina to prove themselves bcoz Laxman and Ganguly can make a comeback if they perform well in domestic cricket.

yes quite right gaurav .... Ganguly has a chance now :rolleyes:

And with Pathan in poor form, another handy medium-pacer who can bat is always an asset...

It will only be good for Indian Cricket if he makes a comeback. He will undoubtedly bring back that aggression and hunger to win in Indian side, if he is selected again and I sincerely hope that he does make a comeback ..... :)

Ganguly deserves a chance now i feel.... especially frustrated with Raina's recent techniques!

Also after a long time i observe Gaurav didnt speak about to replace Sehwag :D ( as he likes Sehwag a lots now a days ;):p )

surendar said:
Ganguly deserves a chance now i feel.... especially frustrated with Raina's recent techniques!

Also after a long time i observe Gaurav didnt speak about to replace Sehwag :D ( as he likes Sehwag a lots now a days ;):p )
:mad You like Sehwag. :mad :D Ganguly has to score consistently also the power of Chapell is going down.

As Indian cricket fans we should certainly not try to promote a rift against Chappell. Where's Kaif? Surely Kaif should be given an extended run before drafting Ganguly back, as both will be vying for the middle order. Also given Sehwag's recent exploits, and his desire not to improve, maybe we can look at Ganguly opening..? This is the only position I feel Ganguly will be anything of an asset because he has looked lacklustre in rotating the strike and playing in the middle order in ODIs.

Users who are viewing this thread