Saurav Ganguly may come back in less tham six months - Selectors

Do You want Ganguly Back?

• Total voters
saisrini80 said:
he is basically a middle order batsman who has been asked to open to accomodate other players! at the start, he either gets quick runs or leaves the team at a precarious situation at 5/1 or 6/1.

if ganguly and tendulkar give a good start, he will have the cushion of runs behind him and that can help him in pacing his innings in a more better manner.
What makes you say he is a middle-order player? The fact that he started his career like that? Because he started his cricket career as an off-spin bowler. Sehwag utilizes the field restrictions too much to come down the order. His square cuts would all be caught on the boundary, as would his lofted drives, if he were to come in the middle-order. And he gets frustrated when he is timing the ball sweetly and getting only singles.

There's nothing suggesting that Ganguly in his current stage will arrive on the scene and put up 100+ partnerships with Sachin. With one bouncer an over and a fine leg and deep square leg, you have almost the perfect formula to take him out.

sohummisra said:
There's nothing suggesting that Ganguly in his current stage will arrive on the scene and put up 100+ partnerships with Sachin. With one bouncer an over and a fine leg and deep square leg, you have almost the perfect formula to take him out.

Absolutely. And as has been said before, I only ask the Ganguly-lovers on this board to look at his strike rate in one day matches for the last 2 years. Also they should look at India's run rate and overall position before and after he came in to bat.

Ritwik said:
Absolutely. And as has been said before, I only ask the Ganguly-lovers on this board to look at his strike rate in one day matches for the last 2 years. Also they should look at India's run rate and overall position before and after he came in to bat.
Yes! This is what I have been telling unthinking fans of Ganguly to do for ages!

Ritwik said:
That is exactly the reason why he should open. Look at the rest of your batsmen; Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Sehwag, Kaif, Rao. They're all reasonably attacking batsmen. The way they play naturally is with a big score on the board as they come in to bat. For me, Ganguly opening would be the perfect foil and would allow everyone else to play their natural game as Ganguly tries to anchor the innings.

We already have Dravid in an anchoring role, and he can sure as hell do it better than Ganguly. Even Tendulkar in recent times has shown a commitment towards sticking at one end and anchoring the innings, and he definitely has the technique to do it well.

And Ganguly as an opener will simply not allow India to fully utilize the fielding restrictions in the first few overs, so it will not be a very logical move.

Ritwik said:
And Ganguly as an opener will simply not allow India to fully utilize the fielding restrictions in the first few overs, so it will not be a very logical move.
But then how many teams have two batsmen who are there to take advantage of the first 15? If you have someone like Ganguly who stays there, it allows Sehwag to just play his natural game, without worrying what to do if Tendulkar picks the fielder out with the score on 5. An average of 41 as an opener isn't exactly bad.

MUFC1987 said:
But then how many teams have two batsmen who are there to take advantage of the first 15? If you have someone like Ganguly who stays there, it allows Sehwag to just play his natural game, without worrying what to do if Tendulkar picks the fielder out with the score on 5. An average of 41 as an opener isn't exactly bad.
You can't base everything on averages. Sunny Gavaskar has a wonderful average in test cricket, do you want to bring him back? There is no denying that Ganguly used to be priceless piece in the puzzle of Indian cricket. That simply isn't the case anymore.

You're talking about playing Ganguly as an opener because he won't fit in the middle order. Tendulkar and Sehwag have done the job in the recent past, for India. If Tendulkar comes back for the Sri Lanka series and performs well, then there will not be a real need for Ganguly to come in. In fact, him coming in would throw the entire batting order into disarray.

sohummisra said:
What makes you say he is a middle-order player? The fact that he started his career like that? Because he started his cricket career as an off-spin bowler. Sehwag utilizes the field restrictions too much to come down the order. His square cuts would all be caught on the boundary, as would his lofted drives, if he were to come in the middle-order. And he gets frustrated when he is timing the ball sweetly and getting only singles.

What makes you say Ganguly's short pitched problem still persists?? The fact that he had the problem a few years back??

MUFC1987 said:

Yes. I would prefer an opener who can stay out there at the beginning, rather than have an opener who most often ditches the team by getting out for a cheap score and coming back! If we have two openers who can score at a decent strike rate of 80+ and stays out there, then we always have the batters who can slog it out in the end overs and push the team towards a challenging total. I prefer a good start and a grand finish than a flying start and a not so satisfying finish!

sohummisra said:
You can't base everything on averages. Sunny Gavaskar has a wonderful average in test cricket, do you want to bring him back? There is no denying that Ganguly used to be priceless piece in the puzzle of Indian cricket. That simply isn't the case anymore.

You're talking about playing Ganguly as an opener because he won't fit in the middle order. Tendulkar and Sehwag have done the job in the recent past, for India. If Tendulkar comes back for the Sri Lanka series and performs well, then there will not be a real need for Ganguly to come in. In fact, him coming in would throw the entire batting order into disarray.

Wanting Ganguly as opener is because Ganguly has had success at that spot. That doesnt mean he wouldnt fit the middle order. In fact, his current batting style makes him a perfect fit for the middle order.

Yeah, Sehwag does the opening job well 10 out of 10 times rite??? He is the best opener India has ever had in ODI's. he has scored tons of centuries and that too in every other match and has won India many trophies rite???

Never mind if you mind that sarcasm above, but Sehwag is always a "you hit, i miss" fellow. and i dont see any changes in that style of his!

Anyway who cares? If Ganguly scores runs and/or if the other players in the team continue to fail, the selectrors will have no option but to look back on him! Ganguly still should fight on and hope to grab his place back again!

saisrini80 said:
What makes you say Ganguly's short pitched problem still persists?? The fact that he had the problem a few years back??
The fact that he hasn't been able to fix it for many, many years of his international career.

saisrini80 said:
Yes. I would prefer an opener who can stay out there at the beginning, rather than have an opener who most often ditches the team by getting out for a cheap score and coming back! If we have two openers who can score at a decent strike rate of 80+ and stays out there, then we always have the batters who can slog it out in the end overs and push the team towards a challenging total. I prefer a good start and a grand finish than a flying start and a not so satisfying finish!
A scorer who most often ditches the team by getting out for a cheap score and coming back? I take it you are talking about Sehwag there. Ganguly himself gave up his opening spot to Sehwag--because he knew that the latter would be better in that position. Sehwag may be hit-and-miss, but it's hard to imagine the Indian team reaching any sort of success without him. Also, why are you assuming that Ganguly will maintain a strike rate of 80+? He has found it difficult to touch 60, even if he has come in with India going at a run-rate of 6+ after 35 overs.

saisrini80 said:
Wanting Ganguly as opener is because Ganguly has had success at that spot. That doesnt mean he wouldnt fit the middle order. In fact, his current batting style makes him a perfect fit for the middle order.
Perfect? Come in, eat balls, destroy the momentum of the team? I guess that allows for a grand finish.

saisrini80 said:
Yeah, Sehwag does the opening job well 10 out of 10 times rite??? He is the best opener India has ever had in ODI's. he has scored tons of centuries and that too in every other match and has won India many trophies rite???
Gee, expecting perfection from any cricketer is harsh. Sehwag's an iffy player in ODI's, but there's no point keeping him in the team if he's not opening. And why would you replace him with a fellow who can't do the job if he's not opening?

saisrini80 said:
Never mind if you mind that sarcasm above, but Sehwag is always a "you hit, i miss" fellow. and i dont see any changes in that style of his!
Don't worry about it, I've come to expect a strong bias in your posts regarding Ganguly.

saisrini80 said:
Anyway who cares? If Ganguly scores runs and/or if the other players in the team continue to fail, the selectrors will have no option but to look back on him! Ganguly still should fight on and hope to grab his place back again!
Ganguly has a lot to do before he warrants selection. He needs to show selectors that he can score runs, maintain high levels of fitness, and not turn around and blast his ass off at the media after every 2-3 matches. And with that book of his, who knows what else is up his sleeve.

I don't really need to add to what Sohum has said above, but I'd like to give the "Bring Ganguly back" brigade a succint piece of advise - Sourav Chandidas Ganguly is history and they'll do better to plan for the future rather than pine for the past.

Ritwik said:
I don't really need to add to what Sohum has said above, but I'd like to give the "Bring Ganguly back" brigade a succint piece of advise - Sourav Chandidas Ganguly is history and they'll do better to plan for the future rather than pine for the past.

Who gave u the right to add Ganguly to Indian cricket's history? As long as a player is interested in coming back and makes all possible moves to achieve his goal, he isnt HISTORY! A Saurav Ganguly is way better than a Mohammed Kaif or a Suresh Raina in the ODI squad.

But yeah, I have also come to expect a strong bias regarding the "Ganguly wont come back" posters...

I am not saying Ganguly will come back. That rests with the 'bunch of jokers' oopsy... SELECTORS (probably also with the board and a certain Australian).. But my opinion is, India will benefit if Ganguly comes back!

first of all Ganguly doesn't have to open the batting, he can or if needed he can't it doesn't matter. this world cup of 2007 is a great chance for India to win a World Cup after a long time. Ganguly not only is a good batsman but also is a decent bowler and most of all he has buckets of experience behind him. He is a logical choice for a spot on the team.A World Cup squad needs to be flexible and needs good backups for substitutions. The faster we get Ganguly back on the squad and practicing; the better form he will have for World Cup.
but then again thats my opinion

hey guys i thought this thread was dead but it isnt. Now we know throiugh the poll that the people who want ganguly back beat those who dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . I would soon be working on a avtar on the " Bring ganmguly Back " Logo. Also, we can start a petition thread. , although, the petition thread is only a idea

Kshitiz_Indian said:
Now we know throiugh the poll that the people who want ganguly back beat those who dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .
With an overwhelming number of voters (22) you should be certain that this is clearly mass opinion. ;)

well, now that we know thgat thats the number of members who visit this thread regularly which makes us say that the people supporting hganuly are ahead at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread