Saurav Ganguly may come back in less tham six months - Selectors

Do You want Ganguly Back?

• Total voters
Kindly tell me why you are diluting the Pro40/FC fixtures with Twenty20 scores? It is quite obvious that he is failing at the higher levels of the game and is performing at Twenty20. I guess there's enough conviction to bring him back into the team for the Twenty20 world cup in 2008.

Kshitiz_Indian said:
This is what is known as half-truth.
No, it is what is known as a fact. I was pointing out how he had performed in that very match, so there was no need to mention how he had performed in a Twenty20 game a few weeks before.

s2sschan said:
After the 4-1 drubbing in the West Indies we have to reconsider Ganguly and Laxman. The not so spectacular performances by Raina, Uthappa, Pathan, and Rao in the ODIs has forced us to look at options.

The way Zaheer Khan is playing in the Pro 40 Format in England, he sould also be considered for selection in the ODIs in Sri Lanka and the ICC championship.
I don't think we must immediately look to fall back. Raina had just one bad series--West Indies--and was otherwise performing well. Pathan is going through a period of low confidence that is making the life of the selectors hell. Uthappa and Rao haven't really had enough opportunities to show themselves, but I don't see Rao lasting in the ODI squad for long, and Uthappa will find it hard to get a break once Sachin gets back in.

saisrini80 said:
Poor attempt at what we call 'sarcasm'!

Going by that standards, Sehwag should be killed by failing so many times with the bat at intl. level!

But I agree, Ganguly is doing himself no favors by failing like this! He has to score, and score big!
Similar to a poor attempt by your part to what I call a logical argument. Sehwag is playing at international level. Ganguly is playing at domestic level. Surely you expect one to play better than the other, especially since he is so great. Also, I don't know why you are trying hard to make this a Sehwag vs. Ganguly war. It is quite clear that Sehwag has played a strong part in India's ascension up both the ODI and Test cricket ladders.

saisrini80 said:
When Ganguly scores, these guys will quickly jump up and question the quality of the opposition attack or they will keep quiet (which is a sign of hanging their heads down in shame!).
I like how everything is twisted in favor of the Ganguly brigade. I was quite vocal in congratulating Ganguly when he played well. But giving praise where it's not due is simply... against my values if you must.

Also, Zaheer Khan is definitely warranting selection. He picked up 3/27 in his Pro40 encounter against the Gloucs, one of them being the wicket of Australia's Ian Harvey. I don't think the selectors can ignore him too much longer.

hey about his playing in 20/20's, it is the bonly way to tell that ganuly is playing well. Theres no other way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coz he is not playing international crickmet

Kshitiz_Indian said:
hey about his playing in 20/20's, it is the bonly way to tell that ganuly is playing well. Theres no other way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coz he is not playing international crickmet
So, basically, you rate domestic Twenty20 cricket higher than the Pro40 and First Class competition, in England. And yet you diss our selectors. I cannot understand your logic.

you dont need to understand my logic sohum, coz you cant. Lets put it this way, you think of ganguly as a cricketer who is finding difficult to move on. Ok. And i think him as a good player which deserves to be in the team.

This shows that both of ours logic are different

Kshitiz_Indian said:
There is another way. You can look at the games he's played since the Twenty20 cup, in the Pro40 league, where he scored 9, and in the county championship where he's scored 6 and 2. Yes, he did well in the Twenty20 cup, but since then, and in the longer forms of the game, he's failed.

Or are you talking about someone called Ganuly who plays the mysterious sport of crickmet?? :p

Kshitiz_Indian said:
you dont need to understand my logic sohum, coz you cant. Lets put it this way, you think of ganguly as a cricketer who is finding difficult to move on. Ok. And i think him as a good player which deserves to be in the team.

This shows that both of ours logic are different
That is not your logic, that is your argument. The logic to prove your argument is, sadly perhaps, lacking.

I fail to see how you can judge Ganguly on just one or two performances. He has shown time and again that he's a great batsman. I think him back in the team, without the pressure of Captaincy, or the pressure of being an Overseas player in English Cricket, he could perform very well. I think it's a mistake if he's not given a run in the side before the World Cup comes around.

MUFC1987 said:
I fail to see how you can judge Ganguly on just one or two performances. He has shown time and again that he's a great batsman. I think him back in the team, without the pressure of Captaincy, or the pressure of being an Overseas player in English Cricket, he could perform very well. I think it's a mistake if he's not given a run in the side before the World Cup comes around.
The point is that we are not judging him by one or two performances. If you have followed Indian cricket at all over the last 2-3 years, you would notice his remarkable dip in form. It is more a case of simplifying everything to the short-term, since everyone who wants Ganguly back in the team either cite his performances when he was actually devastating against world attacks or his performances in the Twenty20 tournaments.

Pressure of playing as an overseas player? Surely a man who has more than 15 centuries at international level shouldn't feel too much pressure being an overseas player? Ganguly is a treat to watch, but shouldn't be ushered into the team purely on past performances or experience. If he performs well in the current English domestic season, I'll be first in line to have him back in the team.

andrew_nixon said:
Yes, he did well in the Twenty20 cup, but since then, and in the longer forms of the game, he's failed.

I agree with Andrew and Sohum about Ganguly's recent past.
I think we all agree that it hasn't been "Spectacular".

Still if he shows signs of the player he was a few years ago, it's worth considering him.

s2sschan said:
I agree with Andrew and Sohum about Ganguly's recent past.
I think we all agree that it hasn't been "Spectacular".

Still if he shows signs of the player he was a few years ago, it's worth considering him.
Exactly. It's all well and good showing occasional signs of brilliance, but to be considered for an international spot, you really have to perform every day, especially when you're a batsman.

saisrini80 said:
i still say, anything can happen! but ganguly must not leave it to things which are not in his hands and must score runs to serve notice!

One thing that troubles me a lot about Ganguly is that he is a political animal.
Ganguly was probably India's best captain. But the guy is manipulative as hell.

He asked Chapell to give him advise when he was struggling. Chappell asked him to consider quitting the captaincy to focus on batting.
The next thing Ganguly does is that he makes this public in a press conference and threatens to quit.

Also Chappell accussed Ganguly of faking injury and manipulating the batting order when he was uncomfortable facing fast bowlers.

It's said that even John Wright had strong reservations about the Ganguly-Dalmiya combo.

BTW, Indian selectors have chosen Dinesh Mongia in the ODI squad ahead of Zaheer Khan and Ganguly, based on his performance in the County season.

Last edited:
s2sschan said:
BTW, Indian selectors have chosen Dinesh Mongia in the ODI squad ahead of Zaheer Khan and Ganguly, based on his performance in the County season.
Hmmm. I haven't been following Mongia's performances closely, but he seemed to be getting starts in the county games. I can't see how they overlooked Zaheer Khan; maybe they thought much of his success was due to the conditions, and in that regard, it may be a fair enough decision. But wickets are wickets--ask Irfan Pathan!

sohummisra said:
The point is that we are not judging him by one or two performances. If you have followed Indian cricket at all over the last 2-3 years, you would notice his remarkable dip in form. It is more a case of simplifying everything to the short-term, since everyone who wants Ganguly back in the team either cite his performances when he was actually devastating against world attacks or his performances in the Twenty20 tournaments.
I know about the dip in form, but surely you can see that that came around at a time when he was losing his focus. The pressure of Captaincy was on him. He tried to make too many decisions for his own good, instead of India getting in a Coach to work with Ganguly, they got one who would clash with him. My point is that now, Ganguly can be recalled and told exactly what to do by Dravid. I.e. there's not anything to worry about than his own game. Ganguly would come back raring to go with a point to prove to the Indian team, surely that's an advantage?
Pressure of playing as an overseas player? Surely a man who has more than 15 centuries at international level shouldn't feel too much pressure being an overseas player?
This first bit. The pressure is on him as the Overseas pro to go out there and get runs, surely you can see that? Maybe not as much as in recent years, but the overseas players are there to score runs, he knows this, so knows he can't play naturally as he has more responsibility.

Another point though, Ganguly has been opening in One dayers for Northants, surely that shows that he wants to prove a point to the selectors, as Shafayat did it last year, yet he's down the order to accomodate Ganguly.

MUFC1987 said:
I know about the dip in form, but surely you can see that that came around at a time when he was losing his focus. The pressure of Captaincy was on him. He tried to make too many decisions for his own good, instead of India getting in a Coach to work with Ganguly, they got one who would clash with him. My point is that now, Ganguly can be recalled and told exactly what to do by Dravid. I.e. there's not anything to worry about than his own game. Ganguly would come back raring to go with a point to prove to the Indian team, surely that's an advantage?
Read what s2sschan said, as it is almost a perfectly accurate deal of what happened between Chappell and Ganguly. Also, it is easy to say there's nothing to worry about but his game, but there will definitely be things unsaid in the dressing room of what transpires. It's easy to say that they are professionals and will have to deal with it, but that actually happening will be another thing. Thirdly, India cannot afford to have Ganguly trying to prove his point in the national squad. He chose to play domestic cricket in England by his own choice, and to prove to the selectors that he is still worthy. If he fails, he must ask himself difficult questions.

MUFC1987 said:
This first bit. The pressure is on him as the Overseas pro to go out there and get runs, surely you can see that? Maybe not as much as in recent years, but the overseas players are there to score runs, he knows this, so knows he can't play naturally as he has more responsibility.
If you're saying that Ganguly should be expecting to face more pressure playing as an overseas player in England than playing for India, with more than a billion people expecting him to perform in every game, I must say that I think you're wrong. He has not been forced into this position--he is trying to show that he still has it in him. If he doesn't, then he shouldn't expect to come back into the Indian team, where he will be expecting to score runs nevertheless (especially with a long, long line of hopefuls behind him).

MUFC1987 said:
Another point though, Ganguly has been opening in One dayers for Northants, surely that shows that he wants to prove a point to the selectors, as Shafayat did it last year, yet he's down the order to accomodate Ganguly.
Wanting to prove a point and actually proving a point are two different things. We can't given Ganguly a place in the national team out of sympathy, or by observing that he WANTS the spot. There's no doubt that he would give up a lot and really wants a place in the team, but he still needs to match up with performances, since there are so many fringe players who want it as much as him.

I never expected Ganguly to be picked for this upcoming tri-series... And I know he wont be because of his hot 'n cold show so far. And even if he performs well, he has problems from the selectors and coach...

Dont have the patience to read all what is posted so far (right from my last post).... But one thing is sure, no one can rule out the possibility of Ganguly coming back to Indian cricket before the World Cup!

Ganguly not allowed to bat against Pakistan on Day 1 today! Whats the use of having him then? Why are Northamptonshire looking for victory against Pakistan? Its just a warm up game? or have they been specifically asked to beat Pakistan to deflate their confidence ahead of the Old Trafford test?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread