Shane Watson Opening

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm so glad all the Watson haters were proved wrong. He is an class batsman. Bowling wise, meh, but he can bat. That was very clear in the IPL.

dajesmac

Club Captain
I'm so glad all the Watson haters were proved wrong. He is an class batsman. Bowling wise, meh, but he can bat. That was very clear in the IPL.

Haha yeah exactly. Yeah I don't think much of him as a bowler but he does manage to get wickets occassionally.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Someone was raving about how dropping Hughes and opening with Watson was stupid, and then complaining that Watson would pile on the runs on a flat pitch.

Sounds more like a disgruntled Hughes fan whining about the fact that he knows right now Watson will do a better job.

Well done Watson, and well done to the selectors, I'm glad they got serious about winning the series and made the change before the unwritten laws of cricket scores dictated a change had to be made.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Allow me to gloat as well. The guys here in Australia on SBS were bagging the dropping of Hughes a LOT and almost laughing at Watson's opening prospects and it really stuck in my craw.

Now Watson has outscored Hughes for the series already :p

Disclaimer: I still like Hughes though. Hope to see him back in the near future.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Good on Watson about time he performed with the bat at the Test arena. Still all about consistency and what he does when teams work out his weakness. We had similar threads about Hughes being the right replacement for Hayden after becoming the youngest player to score a 100 in each innings of a Test.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
One innings, he hasn't bowled yet. Wouldn't be suprised if he pulls a hamstring picking up a ball from 3rd man. Watson isn't a test opener.

Watson is not a test opener.

I repeat, Watson is not a test opener.

But now he has scored a 50 everyone will fall in love with him.

I hate Australian cricket at the moment.

:facepalm

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors

And if he makes nothing today, what then. He needs to go on and make a big century here

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
He is not opener. The wicket is flat. But he can do what Sehwag has been doing. But he need to stay fit. Maybe just concentrate on batting.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Watson opening - pretty sure thats meant to be in the jokes section, mate.

If I'm not mistaken thats his fc opening stats? Lol @ the failfag.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
You better get ready for your new avvy Bluey. :p

@Watson, more chance of Lady Gaga wearing anything descent than Watson playing two series together.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
I like Watto playing but just as not opener. Maybe him and Mike Hussey should switch, this could result in Hussey finding some much needed form as well. But Watto started his career as a bowler who can bat a bit and his bowling really needs some work, I still don't think though Watto could get into a side with just his batting or bowling abilities.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I like Watto playing but just as not opener. Maybe him and Mike Hussey should switch, this could result in Hussey finding some much needed form as well. But Watto started his career as a bowler who can bat a bit and his bowling really needs some work, I still don't think though Watto could get into a side with just his batting or bowling abilities.

Certainly not as a bowler

Watson is nothing but a stop gap and if he performs here it would leave him in good sted with the Australian selectors, although it looks like he already is :p

irottev

School Cricketer
He's played one innings and he's successful? He might get out first ball today/tonight(wherever you are) for all we know. His job now is to go on. 60odd doesn't cement his place. I woulda stuck with Hughes. I thought it was very harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread