Shiv Chanderpaul- Most Underrated?

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was just going thru some stats on cricinfo and I ran up on Chanderpauls name and i looked at his stats and first thing that came to my mind was that this guy isnt apreciated enough. I think the only reason is that he has been playing all these years in the shadow of Lara and im not saying he shouldnt have been cuz its Lara we are talking about but this is a guy with 7000+ runs in Tests with an average of 46.63 and almost 7000 in ODIs at 38.96.

Maybe its because he has gone about his way quietly not making as much noise as other windies players because he is not a big hitter but ever since i started following cricket this guy has been one of my fav cricketers and in my eyes he is the most underrated player out there and alot of sides would love to have Shiv in their lineup.

Id like to hear you guys think.

I'd say calling Shiv the most under rated batsman is about right. Yousuf used to be in the same camp until he hit that double in 2005. You're right that it has to do with Lara overshadowing him, but also to do with how Shiv manages to make a big score without people realizing it, not to mention his style or lack thereof doesn't help.

Definately agree. He is grossly underrated.

Being in Lara's shadow, his lack of flamboyance and quiet nature has probably contributed to this.

I would say Chanderpaul is a consistant player rather than a player who gets lots of huge scores. (I could be wrong). People who hit big scores get remembered more. He is definately under-rated and Watson is over-rated (or at least was)

Chanderpaul is under rated. But he isn't that great in converting 50's to 100's. Thats why I dont rate him as high as a Yousuf or a Mike Hussey.

Chanderpaul is under rated. But he isn't that great in converting 50's to 100's. Thats why I dont rate him as high as a Yousuf or a Mike Hussey.
20/14 since April 2002... which I guess means he was 23/2 between 1994 and mid 2002. 2934 runs at 38.61, then he became a different player, scoring 4248 runs at 54.46.

A large element is attributed to foot problems that limited his physical fitness and were taken care of in 2000. It is evident in recent matches that he has all the fight of any player in the world at the moment.

He was immense in the windies tour to England, without him West Indies would have been destroyed in the test matches. A magnificent player, definetly greatly under-rated.

I feel that hes stepped up to the mark which Lara has left, i mean, Lara could bat, and bat and bat, and twice he has top scored against England. Shiv isnt a big score maker usually, BUT can stick around for days, not just sessions, im sure he'd love to be recognised but yeah hes underrated!

He is definately under rated.
He plays great innings, getting many 50s, and aweosme test player.
Definately deserved to be more recognised.

Well, I think people will look at Chanderpaul now since their is no Lara anymore and he's West Indies only consistant batsmen.
Its not often a man who averages 46 is under rated.

Chanderapul has style. Watching him attack is bliss. He just plays the most awesome shots!

The main reason he doesn't turn 50's into 100's is because he is normally left stranded not out at the end, while his teamates collapse around him. I think a move up the order might help him.

The main reason he doesn't turn 50's into 100's is because he is normally left stranded not out at the end, while his teamates collapse around him. I think a move up the order might help him.
Like I said, 20 50s and 14 100s in his last 53 Tests vs 23 50s and 2 100s in his first 51 Tests. Whatever affected his conversion, it's long behind him.

He could maybe have a couple more centuries in a better side, but he'd probably have more fifties as well. He didn't score lots of centuries in the team when it was Haynes, Richardson, Lara and Adams. What probably works towards his batting position is that the lower order, Bravo for example, isn't as fragile as, for example, Ganga.

He did everything for West Indies against England. I'd have him in my ODI XI. So he is under-rated and needs to be given the help he needs.

Users who are viewing this thread