Should substitute fielders be banned?

Should substitute fielders be abolished?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Maybe, not sure

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No.

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
You can't ban substitute fielders. We're forgetting about the players who are legitimately injured here. They just have to crack down more on those who abuse the system. I can't think of too many team sports in the world where there are not substitutes for players during the game.

When a player is injured you can replace him to field. Dunno what the problem is. A player can get injured during a match of 5 days and it would really take the fair out of fair contest init?

They've certainly gone for the extreme side of changing the law. I wonder if they'll reconsider this very soon.

My thought the other day was this: give batsmen the option of a runner but if they take it, then they have to sit out the next match. That would flush out the 'fakers' who are just cramping up from the guys who actually can't run due to a proper injury. So you'd have to weigh up the severity of the injury against how much they need the player to contribute, in that match and in the series. Eg. under that rule, SA might have decided Kallis could bat well enough without a runner, just to give them the option of picking him for Perth. As it turned out, that's what happened, and that's what SHOULD be happening, not just trotting out a runner for everything, or the other extreme of outlawing them altogether.

Well i don't know if the officials have to be that extreme and mandate a player to miss the next test match if that is the case.

Just let the match referee make the player prove he really needs a runners, since an injury can vary.

Yes.Sometimes you never know while watching the match telecast that actually there is a substitute fielder unless the camera pans and commentators tell.
So I feel there needs to be a fair guideline on why there is a substitute and what are his limitations.

If not,he should not be allowed.

Depends really on the circumstances.
Personally I don't think they should be banned. Fielders should have the right to be substituted even if they aren't injured. For tactical reasons, etc just like in Football.

If a fielder isn't performing well enough, he should be substituted. Or it may affect the performance of the team. There's always reasons for substitutions. If there are valid reasons why they want to be substituted. They don't deserve getting punished.

In my opinion I would only give fines for players that misuse the substitution. But in most case scenarios substitute fielders mustn't be banned.

Users who are viewing this thread