South Africa in Australia

Great start by South Africa, but I still think Australia will come back hard. Hussey is still out there, so he can make some valuable runs.

Too bad Symonds and Gilchrist failed again.

Good performance by Nel and SA to take the honours on 1st day. Ponting scored a brilliant hundred but their middle order collapsed again. I see shades on India-Australia 2001 series in this series. The Australian middle order failing after good opening stand.
SA need to clean up the innings soon tomorrow. Macgill is a decent bat and with Hussey, if Australia close towards 300 then SA might find it difficult to take sufficient lead.
I think the Melbourne pitch will play its best on day 2 and 3, and SA has ensure that they bat out day 2 and 3 (day 2 for sure and mosy part of day 3) to tilt the scales towards them. A typical Kallis hundred surrounded by good support from Gibbs, Smith, Rudolph would be needed for SA to take a good lead.
The Aussies bowlers would love the bounce offered by the pitch. Out of all the Aussie bowlers Lee looks most threatening on this pitch as he likes to hit the deck (just like Nel) and make batsman hurry into their shots with a steep bounce. If Lee sprays it around then SA would be very happy. Warne and Macgill will take wickets in the 1st innings but I dont think they can be threatening (They would be a great threat in 2nd innings, and a target of over 220-250 would be very difficult to chase in 4th innings).

Excellent century by Ponting and what a come back by Nel and South Africa! Hope they'll get them all out around 250. Come on South Africa!!!

Nel's drop catch knocked the total amount of drop catches in the series to 8 by SA, hopefully that number isn't going to get any higher.

To get a good chance in the series SA has to get the last few batsman out quickly, then should try to bat until about tea on day 3. Hopefully by then the will have a good lead. After that Nel should be on full attack with Polly.

I just hope AB and Graeme perform and get us a good start.

Nel bowled very well. I wonder how long MacGill and McGrath can hang around. Australia might make another 50 or more if Hussey fires. He has to attack the bowling. Its going to be an interesting first session. We saw MacGill bat last time and it was interesting.

They are putting up a very good fight.

The Aussies have continued their run of slow starts, and it will be up to the bowlers to restrict South Africa to a manageable first innings total. Australia will be hoping to push the total to 250-260 (which will be tough with MacGill and McGrath batting with Huss) to give the bowlers something to bowl at.

A positive for the Aussies would be that the ball seamed around pretty much all day, and there may be some of that moisture left in the surface for the first part of the day.

I'm heading off to the 'G' now!

Um er, WOW!!!

Go McGrath, he must want his 50 now. Forget Hussey :P

On a serious note, Hussey is just the best thing for Australia at the moment, if he continues in this fashion I can see him breaking many of records.

McGrath, one of my most favourite players ever, you got to love the guy. An absolute bunny with the bat but the last few years he has dug so deep in order to support a real batsman, what more can you ask from a Number 11?

awesome century by Hussey:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise . His average is above 100 . he has a brilliant future ahead.

Great century. Its South Africa's own fault though. They dropped him like Ponting. They really need to work on their fielding.

GO MCGRATH! Wouldn't a McGrath 50 be sweet.

hussey must have a average over 150 now

and once again game over

west Indies did the same thing

warne is right smith can't captain what is it achieving putting the field back

adthomp said:
hussey must have a average over 150 now

and once again game over

west Indies did the same thing

warne is right smith can't captain what is it achieving putting the field back

I would not rate Ponting highly as captain either, but better than smith. I think pollock has a great head on his shoulders like his old man, he should be captain.

We need to drop Symonds, but do we replace him with a Batsman or a Bowler?

bring back clarke

I dont think we need a all rounder at all Lee Mcgrath Warne Mcgill or Bracken doing just fine

Great century of Hussey. :clap If he was brought in at early age he could break some records. He is now 30 years old. In five Test matches he already hit three centuries and one fifty.

And his brother David Hussey is a good batsman too.

adthomp said:
bring back clarke

I dont think we need a all rounder at all Lee Mcgrath Warne Mcgill or Bracken doing just fine

Merv Hughes (Selector) just said he ain't in the side for his all rounder status, he is in there for his batting.

Users who are viewing this thread