South Africa in Australia

WTF, Symonds was under huge pressure....

If he didnt score a decent amount, his Test career would of been over.

.::Stevo::. said:
WTF, Symonds was under huge pressure....

If he didnt score a decent amount, his Test career would of been over.
Well thats debateable but in the context of the game Husseys innings was probably the most important.

Oh, so Symonds's bowling and batting in the context of the game wasn't needed? Or wasn't important? He got 5 big wickets, non-tailenders, from under 25 overs, giving away little runs. He hit a quickfire 72 so that Ponting could declare and give his team pleantly of time to bowl SA out.

Hayden got a half century and a century in the same match. I cannot believe Hussey for MOTM over him.

An extremly hard worked 65 in the first innings to help build a foundation and then AGAIN he scored a 137 to set up the second innings.

But its just a MOTM, so I am done with it. If you think Hussey deserved it more you must be biased towards him. I am neutral. Hayden got more runs, he saw off the new ball, he did everything. a half century and a century.

Last edited:
irottev said:
Oh, so Symonds's bowling and batting in the context of the game wasn't needed? Or wasn't important? He got 5 big wickets, non-tailenders, from under 25 overs, giving away little runs. He hit a quickfire 72 so that Ponting could declare and give his team pleantly of time to bowl SA out.

Hayden got a half century and a century in the same match. I cannot believe Hussey for MOTM over him.

An extremly hard worked 65 in the first innings to help build a foundation and then AGAIN he scored a 137 to set up the second innings.

But its just a MOTM, so I am done with it. If you think Hussey deserved it more you must be biased towards him. I am neutral. Hayden got more runs, he saw off the new ball, he did everything. a half century and a century.
If Hussey had made his century in Normal circumstances, then i would have split it between Hayden and Symonds. However Hussey's century was not under normal circumstances, he batter with the tail, and he batted well. Knew when to attack, knew when to defend, not many players can do that.

In my first post i said i would have split it between Hussey and Symonds, they both played very important roles in Australias win. (As did Hayden but in the actual pressure on him and the game situation was minimal compared to Hussey and Symonds.)

irottev said:

My sentiments exactly. You can make a case for Huss, Hayden and Symonds. I'm not taking anything away from Hussey (he took Australia from a vunerable position to a strong on in the morning of day two), but Hayden would get the nod for man of the match for me ahead of Symonds, then Hussey. Hayden's 60 odd in the first dig when the pitch was doing PLENTY was an exceptional knock, probably just as if not more important than his ton in the second..

In any event, MOM is irrelevant, onto Syd-a-nee!

ajay2k5 said:
Well there were several factors that changed the match.

1. Hussey's and McGrath's Partnership, Would of never happened without McGrath, Hussey just played his usual game IMO.

2. Symonds late spell in RSA first innings, was bowling at a speed that generated a bit of swing.

3. Hayden and Symonds Quick runs in Australia's second innings put RSA right under the hammer, smashed the RSA attack all over the place, Symonds in Particular.

4. When RSA finally got settled in there second innings after a few early wickets had fallen, it was Symonds who came in and snagged 2 quick wickets to put them 5 wickets down and in real trouble, from that point onwards RSA had to pull a miracle to even get a draw.

Those to me were 4 key factors in the match, the one name mentioned so many times is Symonds, he didn't take 5 Wickets in a innings, he never made 100 but his contribution was what really turned the match several times.

So for me it's Symonds who deserves man of the match, and he also may of saved his test career.
All those points are valid but don't forget the early burst by Lee on third morning when he got Kallis and Rudolph bowled by some fine pace bowling. Those wickets put SA on the back foot and proved as a catalyst in restricting them from catching up with Aussie 1st inning score.

I do not agree with Symonds being MoM. He played freely because Australia had enough lead with Hayden scoring century in 2nd innings. He would not have been able to play so freely if Hussey and McGrath would not have put those extra 107 runs in 1st innings and Hayden not scored a century in 2nd innings. However, I am not saying that he does not deserve the MOM award. If he would have got it too then it would have been okay as he contributed with the bat and ball, but essentially it was hussey's century in the first innings that swung the momentum in Australia's favor.

Last edited:
Toss is the key in Sydney!

South Africa was going to struggle against Warne's bowling on fourth/fifth day of Test match. The turning point of the match was probably the last wicket partnership between Hussey and Mcgrath and also the opening bowling burst by Lee on the morning on third day when he got Kallis and Rudolph by sheer pace.

The next match is in Sydney which has traditionally helped the spinners from the second day itself. Warne has 60 wickets at Sydney which is second best (first being Brisbane where he has taken 64 wickets). MacGill too loves to bowl at SCG. MacGill has taken 49 wickets at SCG. The next best ground for MacGill in Australia in terms of wickets taken at a particular ground is Adelaide Oval where he has taken 17 wickets. Warne and MacGill are going to have a ball at SCG!

Indian batsmen who are traditionally very good players of spin have always liked playing at Sydney. The last time India toured Australia, Sydney was the ground where they played with utmost ease. South Africa on the other hand are one of the poorest in handling spin bowling and that too from Warne and MacGill - the best in the business, is going to be very very tough.

South Africa has to win the toss in Sydney, bat first and put up a score close to 500 in the first innings to win or draw the third test match at SCG. I think if SA lose the toss in third Test then they will lose the series 0-2. Toss will be very very important for the third test match at SCG!

All three deserved it, so I feel a little sorry for Symonds and Hatyden for missing out. I just feel that if they were goingt o give it to anyone, Hayden should have. I feel they are trying to encourage Hussey as they think hes going to be a superstar. They feel if they keep rewarding him he will keep getting a 100 every second match.

Sureshot said:
So how many has Warne taken in 2005 then?

Must be about 96?
yup. He has taken 96 wickets in 2005. Truly amazing!! Off field issues aside Warne is the greatest leg spinner to have ever played the game.

rahulk666 said:
South Africa was going to struggle against Warne's bowling on fourth/fifth day of Test match. The turning point of the match was probably the last wicket partnership between Hussey and Mcgrath and also the opening bowling burst by Lee on the morning on third day when he got Kallis and Rudolph by sheer pace.

The next match is in Sydney which has traditionally helped the spinners from the second day itself. Warne has 60 wickets at Sydney which is second best (first being Brisbane where he has taken 64 wickets). MacGill too loves to bowl at SCG. MacGill has taken 49 wickets at SCG. The next best ground for MacGill in Australia in terms of wickets taken at a particular ground is Adelaide Oval where he has taken 17 wickets. Warne and MacGill are going to have a ball at SCG!

Indian batsmen who are traditionally very good players of spin have always liked playing at Sydney. The last time India toured Australia, Sydney was the ground where they played with utmost ease. South Africa on the other hand are one of the poorest in handling spin bowling and that too from Warne and MacGill - the best in the business, is going to be very very tough.

South Africa has to win the toss in Sydney, bat first and put up a score close to 500 in the first innings to win or draw the third test match at SCG. I think if SA lose the toss in third Test then they will lose the series 0-2. Toss will be very very important for the third test match at SCG!

The turning points in the match were the dropped catches by South Africa. Ponting on 17 and Hussey on 27. They both recorded centuries and this cost South Africa the match.

JamesyJames3 said:
The turning points in the match were the dropped catches by South Africa. Ponting on 17 and Hussey on 27. They both recorded centuries and this cost South Africa the match.

And Hayden was put down by Nel in the second dig I think. Catching is a such an important part of the game. I read that Australia's numerous dropped catches during the Ashes cost them just shy of 1000 runs. You can't expect to give international players of this class second and third opportunities and not pay for it. Very poor cricket by South Africa.

Sando said:
And Hayden was put down by Nel in the second dig I think. Catching is a such an important part of the game. I read that Australia's numerous dropped catches during the Ashes cost them just shy of 1000 runs. You can't expect to give international players of this class second and third opportunities and not pay for it. Very poor cricket by South Africa.
South Africa miss Jonty Rhodes dearly!! He was the one who revolutionized the fielding and took it to another level. We have very good fielders now in the game but no one can come close to Jonty!!

Sando said:
Yes, I remember the jokes about Parthiv Patel's ability with the bat breaking even with the number of runs he cost the team.

rahulk666 said:
South Africa miss Jonty Rhodes dearly!! He was the one who revolutionized the fielding and took it to another level. We have very good fielders now in the game but no one can come close to Jonty!!

It has nothing to do with rhodes. We dropped 13 catches in a adelaide test in 1997/1998 when he was in the side. The team's catching is usually very good it just seems they crumble under the pressure in aus.

This would be my SA team for the second test:

1.Smith
2.A.B. de villiers
3.Gibbs
4.Kallis
5.Rdolph
6.Prince/Kemp ( if justin is fit he should play)
7.boucher
8.Pollock
9.Botha
10.Kruger
11.Nell

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread