South Africa in England July-Sept 2012

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I have to confess that I'm watching the TDF. Bit sad when the most recent posts here aren't even by English/Saffers.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
South Africa should try bowling at the stumps.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
when was it trotts average fell into the 50s?

I cannot remember a time when he was anything other than utterly impossible to dismiss. it can't all have been that series in pakistan.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bowling has not impressed as I hoped it would especially under good bowling conditions

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I just love the way Cook goes about it as well.

He doesn't have the best technique (although it is still good) and he isn't flashy.

But mentally he is perfect. Never flustered, if he gets a good ball he'll forget about it with the next deliver and his concentration is brilliant.?He just bats all day, willing to take his time and he gradually grinds down the opposition in unspectactular but highly effective fashion.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Well from a neutral's point of view, that was excruciatingly boring until Trott got out. Not only does he slow the game down with his 'routine' before every ball, he is hands down the most boring batsman in world cricket. I am someone who can appreciate good cricket and batsman that play slower than most (I'm a Dravid fan!), but it's not so much that he's slow, his game just has zero attraction.

harrisb

International Coach
Well from a neutral's point of view, that was excruciatingly boring until Trott got out. Not only does he slow the game down with his 'routine' before every ball, he is hands down the most boring batsman in world cricket. I am someone who can appreciate good cricket and batsman that play slower than most (I'm a Dravid fan!), but it's not so much that he's slow, his game just has zero attraction.

It might be boring but it gets results. I turned it on and saw that we were one down with Cook and Trott were in, so turned it off again and waited until I got an alert on my phone saying a wicket had gone. I admit it's not the best to watch, but it's why we're number 1.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Interesting days of Test cricket. Cook was impregnable as always, one of the finest batsmen I've seen in a while. He never seems bothered by anything and has consistently scored runs (in both ODIs and Tests) against top opposition.

In terms of the saffers, mmmm not much to say really. Philander couldn't get past 2nd gear, Morkel was wayward but managed to pick up a couple wickets. Kallis was his usual, laborious self but Steyn was the biggest disappointment. I know he has remarked previously about lowering his pace on purpose to extend his career, but when you have a guy billed as a genuine fast bowler and he trots in at 84mph on a regular basis....you know you're in trouble. Having said that, I do think the pitch was flat and slow, crumbling at the edges. Swann might have a good game.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
It might be boring but it gets results. I turned it on and saw that we were one down with Cook and Trott were in, so turned it off again and waited until I got an alert on my phone saying a wicket had gone. I admit it's not the best to watch, but it's why we're number 1.

I am not doubting its results as they are there for all to see. However, as a neutral viewer in this series, I would prefer it if Bell and/or Pietersen were at the crease.

Anyways...

Morkel got two wickets but as has always been the case, he struggled to find the right length. Steyn wasn't aggressive enough and bowled too much on a good length and not enough on a full length. His biggest strength is being able to pitch it up and swing it, at pace. Philander was decent, I suppose. Tahir bowled alright and perhaps experimented a little too much as Warne pointed out but I think he'll show his true colors in the second innings.

De Villiers and all the fielders in general need to be louder as well. There was zero encouragement. They went flat for that entire Cook-Trott partnership.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I hated having to work today, but next two days off so I'll barely miss a ball :D

Users who are viewing this thread