South Africa in England July-Sept 2012

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I don't really find cook that boring, he's clearly an impressive player and I get a kick out of watching genuinely impressive characters.

I'd rather watch him over bell, I feel cooks put in a a lot of hard graft and always made an effort to contribute (when he was out of form he always tried to see out the new ball at least, sticking to the basic job of an opener at least) so I like seeing him do well as I think he deserves it.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yeah I can't make a final decision on whether I like Cook & Trott or not. Some days I think it's awesome viewing as they blunt the bowling attack. Other days they frustrate me/make me fall asleep. Fortunately I went to bed at the lunch break so I didn't have to umm and ahh over my mindset all day :p

Agree about South Africa in the field though...very quiet - almost as though they expected to arrive, let their 3 big guns do their thing and it would all look after itself. Not so...

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
In a lot of ways the style of Cook-Trott is a mother day representation of how the some of greatest English openers/batsmen of the past were.

When Cook bats, its like watching Hutton, Hobbs, Boycott, Sutcliffe (Atherton to lesser extent) craft out an innings.

While Trott @ # 3, its like Ken Barrington back in days.

If England beat S Africa in this series, this is how they will dominate. It won't be with the flair of great 70s Windies or Australia. It will be like the last great England team of 1951-1958, in which they will topple teams playing test cricket by doing the traditional basics of cricket in the most professional and lethal manner.

Last edited:

Owzat

International Coach
I like the way Cook plays, doesn't get carried away like 'superstar' egos like KP who looked like he was trying to draw attention to his ODI credentials at times.

Playing sensibly is good, pick off the bad balls and don't throw your wicket away. You'll get enough good balls as it is without adding more chances to get out to ordinary or bad balls.

Can someone shoot Michael Yawn if he mentions again the lack of aggression in South Africa and pointing at the absence of Boucher as the underlying reason. Yeah we get he's retired.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
this may seem completely sacrilegious to some, but unless we're talking some sort of high pressure situation (huge chase in the 4th, big comeback etc) and it doesn't involve one of the nutter batsmen like sehwag, dilshan or gayle then I would probably be slightly bored by any sort of long, lazy unbroken partnership.

when I say I didn't find cook boring, I mean I like watching him as much as I do most players. Azhar Ali is becoming a guilty pleasure recently and he's worse. but still, yesterday was dull, but it would have been dull had amla and smith, or hussey and clarke, been putting on those runs. it was just uninteresting, I doubt bell hitting a few classy cover drives over a few hours would have changed that.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Yeah I can't make a final decision on whether I like Cook & Trott or not. Some days I think it's awesome viewing as they blunt the bowling attack. Other days they frustrate me/make me fall asleep. Fortunately I went to bed at the lunch break so I didn't have to umm and ahh over my mindset all day :p

Agree about South Africa in the field though...very quiet - almost as though they expected to arrive, let their 3 big guns do their thing and it would all look after itself. Not so...

I think Cook and trott are very different players. Cook is far more elegant and plays some beautiful strokes. I wouldn't say the shots that trott plays are attractive. He is more of a scrappy player with limited strokeplay. Cook is in a league of his own right now.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
this may seem completely sacrilegious to some, but unless we're talking some sort of high pressure situation (huge chase in the 4th, big comeback etc) and it doesn't involve one of the nutter batsmen like sehwag, dilshan or gayle then I would probably be slightly bored by any sort of long, lazy unbroken partnership.

when I say I didn't find cook boring, I mean I like watching him as much as I do most players. Azhar Ali is becoming a guilty pleasure recently and he's worse. but still, yesterday was dull, but it would have been dull had amla and smith, or hussey and clarke, been putting on those runs. it was just uninteresting, I doubt bell hitting a few classy cover drives over a few hours would have changed that.

Clarke and dull in the same sentence? Blasphemy!

For me, it would have changed it if there were some more pretty stroke-makers at the crease, but maybe that's just me. Generally however, I'm with you. I enjoy watching bowling much more.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Smith is horrible to watch. He has so few scoring shots that are attractive. Strength over timing nearly every time as well. His 277 against England all those years ago was one of the least interesting innings I've watched despite the skill and determination :p

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
kerplucking hell, I got up at 5am for a match in which I support neither team. Bloody English weather!

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Smith is horrible to watch. He has so few scoring shots that are attractive. Strength over timing nearly every time as well. His 277 against England all those years ago was one of the least interesting innings I've watched despite the skill and determination :p

Agreed. Don't think he's played a single shot on the offside so far.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Was South Africas day today, if rain keeps away should be a good encounter

Phen

School Cricketer
Isn't Kallis such a legend? Still a brilliant bowler after all this time. Don't need to talk about how good a batsmen he is either.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah his bowling is underated massively. People forget that throughout his career, if the opposition are weak or the pitch excellent for bowling, he'll only get the scraps left over after the likes of Donald and Pollock or Steyn, Philander and Morkel have left behind. More often than not he has the joys of getting to come on and bowl at set batsman.

Owzat

International Coach
The England batsmen let the side down yesterday, a few too many nothing shots and we were only 21 runs on from the overnight total of 267/3 and left with Prior and the tail to salvage something.

No excuses for Bopara, that was a tame dismissal. Bell didn't cover his stumps and Cook didn't add much to his ovenight score which, if it were Strauss, we'd be quoting stats and making a big deal about. It was a shame because Cook and Trott in particular (186 runs) put us in a good overnight position which was undone very quickly. Fair play to Prior with a little help from Broad and Swann for pushing us up to 385, but I'd say we were a good 50-100 runs shy of where we should have been.

The saffers look set to replicate our innings, early wicket then second wicket pair put on a lot. I'd say England are still in box seat, but only because they have near enough 300 runs in hand as opposed to nine wickets to make those 300 runs. Ideally England will make early inroads, if England don't bag a couple of wickets in the morning session minimum then it could be a long long day.

England will want South Africa out by around tea to have a decent lead, South Africa will want to bat all day and probably a little into Sunday in order to put pressure on England. If the pitch doesn't do much and South Africa reach say 500 then I think this will peter out into a draw. Whether England can do enough with the ball, or South Africa force the pace and push hard for victory I am already doubting. This may well prove to be a testing draw, testing in the sense of both sides testing each other without wanting to risk anything

----------

People forget that throughout his career, if the opposition are weak or the pitch excellent for bowling, he'll only get the scraps left over

And if he was as under-rated as you make out he'd have been given more opportunity/responsibility.

I often find the concept of "under-rated" and "over-rated" rather empty, especially when people are saying it of the same players in any sport. "He's massively under-rated" when more than a few people say it shows clearly he can't be or people wouldn't be saying it :facepalm

It seems to be a popular yet pointless exercise/way of saying people rate him, when in truth he is probably rated where he is and those talking of "under-rated" and "over-rated" are just pushing to gain support in their high or low rating of a player.

Kallis is a good, steady bowler, not so good he'd be one of three quicks and probably not a fourth in a four, but good at being a fifth option for when the ball is doing something (or isn't) and noone else is having any joy. If he were good enough to fill a bigger role don't you think a COACH in a team he's played for would have exploited that (option) by now?!!?!? Like the "Glen Johnson should be tried at right midfield" claim, funnily enough several coaches and managers haven't thought so, but what would they know?

Hick would have got more wickets if he hadn't been second fiddle to any spinner in the side and mostly used for "an over before lunch" or when the side is really struggling and to give the frontline bowlers a rest. I could say he was "under-rated" but again I'm sure I wouldn't be alone, and who is to say how highly any given player is rated or not. I could argue Kallis is massively over-rated as a batsman, simply because so many rate him so highly, but then I'm sure there are enough people who would agree with me so can he be over-rated..........................?!?!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread