South Africa in India

India retain Jaffer instead of Gambhir, Akash Chopra
http://www.cricketnext.com/news/no-openings-for-chopra-gambhir-in-test-squad/30348-13-1.html

I expected this and I was worried about this thing in particular. So the Mumbai influence still remains. Wasim Jaffer has been proved to be a waste on pitches abroad and was a failure in Australia. Yet he is persisted. Now he will play on these pitches in India, get a few hundreds (probably a double hundred too) and it will seem as if he is the best ever Indian opener (until the next overseas test assignment).

Good on the selectors! Damn!

come on ,he has done well in west indies,enland,southafrica and just after i bad series you are saying he should be dropped

this has been the problem of indian fans and cricket,good now atleast the selectors are dooing the right things and not been driven by fans opinions which changes by the second

Coming to the series i think morne morkel will be standout performer from south africa
who lose the series 2-0 and draw at kanpur,smith will flop in the whole series and pressure will mount on him to resign from captaincy.

Last edited:
come on ,he has done well in west indies,enland,southafrica and just after i bad series you are saying he should be dropped

this has been the problem of indian fans and cricket,good now atleast the selectors are dooing the right things and not been driven by fans opinions which changes by the second

Coming to the series i think morne morkel will be standout performer from south africa
who lose the series 2-0 and draw at kanpur,smith will flop in the whole series and pressure will mount on him to resign from captaincy.

What rubbish !
Jaffer has done well,but he has not been consistent-one needs to be at this level. He is also not a good fielder in the short leg position.

Coming to Smith-Why would he resign if they lost 2-0 ? Its utterly stupid.

The way india have been playing in test cricket lately i would have to go with them to win the series.

2-0 india.

Jaffer is in the 15,whether he'll play or not is the big question. Thats why they have Irfan in there-to open the batting.

Impossible. Since we are playing in India, I would play Jaffer. And having Irfan open is a recipe to disaster. I dont think Kumble will do it. Jaffer being a Mumbaikar will definitely get first preferrence (also esp. in India where he can play his shots easily).

The way india have been playing in test cricket lately i would have to go with them to win the series.

2-0 india.

And South African president Majola says that South Africa will thump India in this test series.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Murli Kartick out for 3 weeks. Now everybodys fav bashing boy Bhajji will play all matches. This time though it could be his last test series.

Also Jaffer is crap. He might have made runs but hes still load of crap and it stinks till up here north of India. Get some decent guy with technique. What wrong has Chopra done this season. Hes fast in ODIs also these days.

Also why the hell was Yuvi and Bhajji allowed to take part in promotions. They should have been proving fitness. Anyways Yuvi should not be in Test team. He should play Deodhar to get back in form.

Last edited:
I think attacking Jaffer is not appropriate..About his consistency I agree but He Definitely Deserve at least one Chance..He has played in Africa good..

And Why is it Bhajji's last series Sid???

COULD be, because he is rather useless nowadays in Tests.

And South African president Majola says that South Africa will thump India in this test series.:rolleyes:

Haha....south africa's best chance will come in the ODI'S..i can see those matches being very close.

test wise africa just dont look that impressive anymore,the bowling is sound,but the batting seems a bit like england's,READY TO COLLAOSE AT ANYTIME!

I am not thrilled about India's squad but it is not bad and possibly the best, taking into account injuries and lack of match fitness in the case of Zaheer. However, I feel that Wasim Jaffer's selection is both good and bad. It shows that India are partaking in a policy of sticking with players rather than chopping and changing, as most Indian fans would want. It is bad though, because I feel that Jaffer has been given enough chances over his various stints already; I do not believe him consistent enough to be a Test batsmen. He also has technical deficiencies in the corridor too, which is certainly not needed from such a defensive batsman.

Both fans and selectors alike are reluctant to back Aakash Chopra for a Test spot. I believe that this is because of a condition with all fans and selectors (mostly Indian) who want instant greatness and are unwilling to stick with consistent mediocraty. I believe that Chopra will never average more than 40 over a Test career, but that he will be extremely solid and wear off the new ball. However, most Indians want the 'quick fix' in chopping and changing until there is a hope of a batsmen who may average over 40 over a career...until of course, he fails in two innings and then his head is called for by angry fans.

As for the bowlers, I don't believe that Sreesanth has it in him to be a Test bowler. I believe that he lacks the consistency needed to put pressure on batsmen for more than 5 balls. This being said, he has had an okay start to his Test career and given his good form against South Africa, his selection is understandable. I am leaning toward thinking that Praveen Kumar would have been a better selection though. Kumar has shown himself deadly with the new ball in ODIs and domestic cricket with his massive swing and sharpish bouncer and I feel that his deficiencies with the old ball (due to lack of pace) can be covered as the Indian plan is to play two spinners and have RP Singh play, who is a fine old ball bowler himself.

Pathan is in the squad, his selection is understandable but allow me to comment on his 'new' action. Many have criticised that it has taken away his 'banana swing' but it is clear to me that he is more likely to be a successful Test bowler with this action. This will make Richard cry with joy, but it is true that Pathan has a poor record against Test standard nations. He now gets well and truly side on and has made a concievable, albeit unsucessful attempt to use his front arm. He rotates out of the action well too but it all seems very stiff and rigid whereas he was more loose before. His action is Liam Plunkett-esque in that it looks robotic. I think that a part of this is that the action is not natural to him, I am unconvinced whether or not time will heal this deficiency but if he works on his fitness in his two weeks rest (the period India have a small rest in) as Gloster has suggested, then perhaps he will regain a looser action.

Sreesanth has pace and good seam position. if you are referring to his "always overworking mind", he is starting to show improvement. For example, he kept himself down on the ground rather admirably during the ODI series in Australia (Even Gilly complimented him for being so different from what he was in India during October 2007). With Sree, its just his mind and that can be solved. There is nothing wrong with his other departments.

What rubbish !
Jaffer has done well,but he has not been consistent-one needs to be at this level. He is also not a good fielder in the short leg position.

Coming to Smith-Why would he resign if they lost 2-0 ? Its utterly stupid.

well he has played 20 tests away from home and sin ce his comeback,he has don e well,a opening batsman job is really hard even if he gets 50 or 40 away he has done the job fo the middle order,heand shewag are aperfe ct opening com bination.

graeme smith only s cores agianst bangladesh,he will find it hard to s core
a run india,he has been out of form in tests for god knows how long,

after india they go to england,australia where trhy will be hammered so smith will lose his captaincy

I am not thrilled about India's squad but it is not bad and possibly the best, taking into account injuries and lack of match fitness in the case of Zaheer. However, I feel that Wasim Jaffer's selection is both good and bad. It shows that India are partaking in a policy of sticking with players rather than chopping and changing, as most Indian fans would want. It is bad though, because I feel that Jaffer has been given enough chances over his various stints already; I do not believe him consistent enough to be a Test batsmen. He also has technical deficiencies in the corridor too, which is certainly not needed from such a defensive batsman.

Both fans and selectors alike are reluctant to back Aakash Chopra for a Test spot. I believe that this is because of a condition with all fans and selectors (mostly Indian) who want instant greatness and are unwilling to stick with consistent mediocraty. I believe that Chopra will never average more than 40 over a Test career, but that he will be extremely solid and wear off the new ball. However, most Indians want the 'quick fix' in chopping and changing until there is a hope of a batsmen who may average over 40 over a career...until of course, he fails in two innings and then his head is called for by angry fans.

As for the bowlers, I don't believe that Sreesanth has it in him to be a Test bowler. I believe that he lacks the consistency needed to put pressure on batsmen for more than 5 balls. This being said, he has had an okay start to his Test career and given his good form against South Africa, his selection is understandable. I am leaning toward thinking that Praveen Kumar would have been a better selection though. Kumar has shown himself deadly with the new ball in ODIs and domestic cricket with his massive swing and sharpish bouncer and I feel that his deficiencies with the old ball (due to lack of pace) can be covered as the Indian plan is to play two spinners and have RP Singh play, who is a fine old ball bowler himself.

Pathan is in the squad, his selection is understandable but allow me to comment on his 'new' action. Many have criticised that it has taken away his 'banana swing' but it is clear to me that he is more likely to be a successful Test bowler with this action. This will make Richard cry with joy, but it is true that Pathan has a poor record against Test standard nations. He now gets well and truly side on and has made a concievable, albeit unsucessful attempt to use his front arm. He rotates out of the action well too but it all seems very stiff and rigid whereas he was more loose before. His action is Liam Plunkett-esque in that it looks robotic. I think that a part of this is that the action is not natural to him, I am unconvinced whether or not time will heal this deficiency but if he works on his fitness in his two weeks rest (the period India have a small rest in) as Gloster has suggested, then perhaps he will regain a looser action.

what are you out of your mind,

in tests if you bowl at 130 in india you are mincemeat for the opp
praven is a good odi cricketer,sreesanth has raw pace and is a attacking bowler,which is rare in international cricket
his record in tests speaks for itself,he is a match winner.

irfan will struggle with his new action,he has lost bounce and cur ve if you look at his action when he came in he had a high arm action and had
his shoulder created a cur ve due to which he got late swing he will have to go to his old action .which he will do in time.

sangwan is the most promising younster i have seen this ranji season the angle which he comes and swings the ball is extra ordinary,he looks a stong
boy and is only 17 when he builds up he will be a world class leftarm fast
bolwer i have no doubt.

Last edited:
If only Dadaji was more energetic person India would have been unbeatable at home. We need to find some good bowler who bowls robotically at same spots but at 140ks.

Batting wise Sehwag-Chopra combination would have been ideal as both like to run quickly which Jaffer can not do in his dreams also. But still I dont think RSA have bowlers to get India out twice in a test match.

Fast bowlers dont trouble India anymore. Morkel is not that good what hes made out to be. Indian batsman get beaten by robotic medium pacers like Clark or McGrath. With Polly gone theres noone of that sort in RSA line up.

I think attacking Jaffer is not appropriate..About his consistency I agree but He Definitely Deserve at least one Chance..He has played in Africa good..

What has he done in Africa ? Hell,even KKD is better than him.Get Irfan to open else.
After green,bouncy Aussie wickets,Indian wickets are nothing.Jaffer will obviously score. :mad:

well he has played 20 tests away from home and sin ce his comeback,he has don e well,a opening batsman job is really hard even if he gets 50 or 40 away he has done the job fo the middle order,heand shewag are aperfe ct opening com bination.

graeme smith only s cores agianst bangladesh,he will find it hard to s core
a run india,he has been out of form in tests for god knows how long,

after india they go to england,australia where trhy will be hammered so smith will lose his captaincy

sangwan is the most promising younster i have seen this ranji season the angle which he comes and swings the ball is extra ordinary,he looks a stong
boy and is only 17 when he builds up he will be a world class leftarm fast
bolwer i have no doubt.

I still beg to differ,Sehwag and Chopra are the best for India.
Jaffer's inconsistency is a big negative. He will score a double century and then fail for the next 10 innings !

Regd Pradeep Sangwan,an exciting prospect and we could see him play in the coming months. I,for one,would like to see him.

the only reason jaffer is still in the side is probably becoz he and vengsarkar are mumbaikars,jaffer only scores on flat pitches and against mediocre bowling attacks.

Regd Pradeep Sangwan,an exciting prospect and we could see him play in the coming months. I,for one,would like to see him.

Hes midget. Fast bowlers should be tall and fast. He bowls like ex Sri Lankan banned player Ruchira Parera.

Users who are viewing this thread