South Africa v Pakistan in UAE Oct/Nov 2013

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
can you explain further? how is the quota system affecting SA, everytime I watch, the non-white players consist of Amla, Parnell (haven't seen him in a while), Petersen and very few others. Robin is good, Amla is great.

I know this question is not for me but I would like to clear things to you. First things first, the quota is for African black players only so the likes of Amla, Parnell, Duminy, Tahir etc. don't count. As far as the the adverse affect on the team is concerned I don't think it has played a huge part thus far but it is likely to in the future. The quota system itself is fine because it encourages the clubs to play more black players (2 per team I guess) on a consistent basis which will not only give black players a platform to raise their level of cricket but also the teams will be benefited with the monetary incentives for playing 2 or more black players in the team. That said, doing the same for the national team would not be a great idea until the black players, with the help of new quota system, become competent enough to break into the team purely on merit. I would, any day, pick Imran Tahir (despite his record in test is not much encouraging) and Quinton de Kock over the likes of Aaron Phangiso and Thami Tsolekile (purely because de Kock is a better batting wicketkeeper). Then there are the likes of Albie Morkel, de Lange and Juan Theron missing out the opportunities while a guy like Rory Kleinveldt (not black of course). The point is, the quota system is good to improve the level of cricket amongst black players in domestic circuit but if it should not hamper or curtail the national team's causes. Your very best 15 should make it to the squad no matter who they are, how they are and where they hail from.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I know this question is not for me but I would like to clear things to you. First things first, the quota is for African black players only so the likes of Amla, Parnell, Duminy, Tahir etc. don't count. As far as the the adverse affect on the team is concerned I don't think it has played a huge part thus far but it is likely to in the future. The quota system itself is fine because it encourages the clubs to play more black players (2 per team I guess) on a consistent basis which will not only give black players a platform to raise their level of cricket but also the teams will be benefited with the monetary incentives for playing 2 or more black players in the team. That said, doing the same for the national team would not be a great idea until the black players, with the help of new quota system, become competent enough to break into the team purely on merit. I would, any day, pick Imran Tahir (despite his record in test is not much encouraging) and Quinton de Kock over the likes of Aaron Phangiso and Thami Tsolekile (purely because de Kock is a better batting wicketkeeper). Then there are the likes of Albie Morkel, de Lange and Juan Theron missing out the opportunities while a guy like Rory Kleinveldt (not black of course). The point is, the quota system is good to improve the level of cricket amongst black players in domestic circuit but if it should not hamper or curtail the national team's causes. Your very best 15 should make it to the squad no matter who they are, how they are and where they hail from.

aha, so it doesn't take into account Asian players. Ok, that was informative. Hate to be a pest but could you give me a little more detail on the emboldened point?

Yes Rory K is not black, so what does the quota system have to do with him being in the side and Albie and co not being in there. Personally I never really liked the other Morkel, too inconsistent. then again I'm SA can do better than Rory K.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
aha, so it doesn't take into account Asian players. Ok, that was informative. Hate to be a pest but could you give me a little more detail on the emboldened point?

Yes Rory K is not black, so what does the quota system have to do with him being in the side and Albie and co not being in there. Personally I never really liked the other Morkel, too inconsistent. then again I'm SA can do better than Rory K.

I have no great knowledge about how cricket in South Africa exactly runs but I think the officials want to have a few non-whites in the team every time they field an XI and hence the likes of Kleinveldt, Parnell, Phangiso and Tsolekile are seen in the national side despite no great performances.

----------

Never expected a team like South Africa to be caught tampering the ball. They were always winning anyway.

An interesting tweet by Iain O'Brien on the issue:

Ian O'Brien said:
Every team ball tampers, some teams are just better at it...

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It definitely looks intentional from the video evidence - which is really really sad because one wouldnt have expected something like this from the no.1 team in the world, especially after being in such a solid position

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Definitely intentional and from the videos I've seen, it looks like it was more than just Faf doing it, he shouldn't be used as an scapegoat with the matter being brushed under the table. The amount of time Pakistan have been wrongfully labeled ball tamperers and plastered all over the media is ridiculous, now we have a large chunk of the Saffers team doing, the supposed world best.

A number of players caught on camera should be fined, maybe suspended for a couple games, the captain should be heavily fined as should the SA management.

But alas, that shall not happen. From what I'm reading, Faf will be sacrificed so the rest of the team can sink away into the darkness. :facepalm

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
A number of players caught on camera should be fined, maybe suspended for a couple games, the captain should be heavily fined as should the SA management.

But alas, that shall not happen. From what I'm reading, Faf will be sacrificed so the rest of the team can sink away into the darkness. :facepalm

Yeh ban the whole team for 2 matches so we can win our test series in South Africa :D

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I am surprised no one has pointed out the REAL reason behind all this - clearly BCCI doctored the video and 'video-shopped' the zipper on Faf's trousers to put doubts over the SAfrican team and discredit their enemy Haroon Lorgat :spy

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Ball-tampering isn't cheating, it's the umpires job to find if someone is doing so.

For those with horrible sarcasm detectors, it's the "batsmen can choose not to walk, it's the umpire's job" logic being put to work.

ferg512

International Coach
I don't see why its a problem tbh, I think legalising ball tampering is crickets last hope of balancing things out between bat and ball. Everything has been done to favour the batsman the last few years while there has not been one rule change (that I can recall) that helps the bowlers. It would never happen though because these days the sport in general has a love affair with batsmen scoring big runs and more sixes and fours.

----------

Also its hard to disagree with many of the asian fans about the double-standards. Its the same with Stuart Broad and his many misdemeanors, if he was Pakistani I have no doubt he would have been banned multiple games for everything he gets up to.

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
This is pathetic if a Pakistani had done it,the whole world media would have been cursing the nation for the incident.The way this thing has been tried to be put under the carpet,is disgusting.Seriously PCB should come up with a protest on this matter.The penalty which was given to Faf is just a joke

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag