South African Tour of India 2010

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Let's not forget KKD here. Played a great knock and a pivotal partnership that set up the big innings. :happy

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Congratulations Tendulkar, he has looked the best of the lot to get it and he has consistently got close to it. Can't think of a better person to break the mark outside of the Aussies.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Let's not forget KKD here. Played a great knock and a pivotal partnership that set up the big innings. :happy

Yeah, forgot to talk about him. 44 and 79 against South Africa is really good. Gave Sachin really good support. If he continues to bat like this, I really support him to continue as a standalone batsman who can keep wickets whenever Dhoni needs a break (forced or volunteer). Looks like Saha's inclusion in that Nagpur test really ruffled Karthik's feathers (has been doing well ever since, scoring two hundreds in a game, apart from these two knocks)

SaiSrini added 1 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

I hardly write more than 2-3 lines. :facepalm

Sreesanth = 7 RPO
Nehra = 7.5 RPO

If these are figures of great ODI bowler then keep dreaming. They got wickets as batsman were under pressure to score at high rate from ball1. Thereis no shame in admitting you have worst bowling line up in world. Don't have to go around boasting about something which is not true.

One game here and there will not chnage my mind about these bowlers. Its like waiting for Afridi who blasted fastest 100 every time he goes to bat.

I never said they were great. But they bowled well today. It was not a great performance, but not a performance that you use the :doh and the :facepalm for

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Well played SRT. I honestly cannot think of a more derserved person to score a double century in an ODI. Everyone sorta forgets that de Villiers scored a century as well.

Last edited:

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Lets get back to the bowlers for a moment. In the past year or so, we`ve been really hard on our bowlers. Nehra and Co. have been criticized time and again for being crap. However, the SA bowling has`nt covered itself with glory either. The Sri Lankans conceded 300+ scores more often than not against us (be it in India or SL), the Aussies gave away 350+ scores twice in the ODI series in India. SA now have give away 300 and 400 in these two games and they are supposed to be the best attack in the world. The NZ bowling which people claim if better than India`s conceded 300 in 35 overs in one game, 290 in 26 overs in one game and gave away 393 in another one last year. Let us take this with a pinch of salt. England gave away 386 and 373 in consecutive ODIs in India in 2008 during that 5-0 mauling. Our bowlers are no Wasim or Waqar but the pitches have`nt exactly been great.
Most bowling attacks have been taken to the sword in the past few years in ODIs. I don`t understand why we are so quick to criticize our bowlers and completely ignore how many times other attacks have been bashed in the past couple of years as well. These pitches have`nt been great for the confidence of the bowlers, especially for Indian bowlers as they play most of their ODI cricket here and this only puts the bowlers in a defensive frame of mind. Remember, Sreesanth, Zaheer, Sharma are all attacking bowlers by nature and rely on seam movement to get wickets. These flat tracks only dent their morale.

I`d wait till they play in England, SA and Australia next year before passing a judgement on how crap they are. Ever wondered why we all felt that India`s bowling was in great health during the 2006/7/8 seasons. It was because we played most of our cricket overseas during those years.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Anyway, South Africa batted really poorly. They went too hard, the usual struggles without Smith at the helm. AB was great, but unfortunately only he was.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I never said they were great. But they bowled well today. It was not a great performance, but not a performance that you use the :doh and the :facepalm for
Their areas were reasonable, there just wasn't much any of the bowlers could do unless they could bowl infinite yorkers. If the batsmen were driving beautifully then there wasn't any bounce to allow them to drop back of a length and if the batsmen decided to swipe across the line of a ball that wasn't getting up, then so be it, but it's not like they forced such shots.

rocky_g

International Cricketer
It's still four players, most sports people don't even notice when four players are missing, I understand that it weakens you team but weakest team is an overstatement, teams should generally build around always having a few players missing and India showed that they have enough deapth.

But when Australia came to India few months ago. Some fans were saying that it was Australian C team that beat India 4-2? :laugh It was a tongue in cheek comment. Now you know how it feels. ;)

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
What a great second international double century ;)

Geezus dude, get over yourself with this "2nd one-day 200" campaign you're on. You already tried to start a thread on it, which got closed down. Don't you have anything better to do?

rocky_g

International Cricketer
Lets get back to the bowlers for a moment. In the past year or so, we`ve been really hard on our bowlers. Nehra and Co. have been criticized time and again for being crap. However, the SA bowling has`nt covered itself with glory either. The Sri Lankans conceded 300+ scores more often than not against us (be it in India or SL), the Aussies gave away 350+ scores twice in the ODI series in India. SA now have give away 300 and 400 in these two games and they are supposed to be the best attack in the world. The NZ bowling which people claim if better than India`s conceded 300 in 35 overs in one game, 290 in 26 overs in one game and gave away 393 in another one last year. Let us take this with a pinch of salt. England gave away 386 and 373 in consecutive ODIs in India in 2008 during that 5-0 mauling. Our bowlers are no Wasim or Waqar but the pitches have`nt exactly been great.
Most bowling attacks have been taken to the sword in the past few years in ODIs. I don`t understand why we are so quick to criticize our bowlers and completely ignore how many times other attacks have been bashed in the past couple of years as well. These pitches have`nt been great for the confidence of the bowlers, especially for Indian bowlers as they play most of their ODI cricket here and this only puts the bowlers in a defensive frame of mind. Remember, Sreesanth, Zaheer, Sharma are all attacking bowlers by nature and rely on seam movement to get wickets. These flat tracks only dent their morale.

I`d wait till they play in England, SA and Australia next year before passing a judgement on how crap they are. Ever wondered why we all felt that India`s bowling was in great health during the 2006/7/8 seasons. It was because we played most of our cricket overseas during those years.
Good post. South African bowlers arent great either. Just look at their performances recently in their own pitches.

But indian bowling sucks and this is a fact. You cant score or chase 300+ everytime. There will be occasions when team will get out on 240 something and thats when you need your bowlers to defend it. Australia and South Africa both are capable of it. I didnt have confidence in indian bowling even when india scored 400 i thought South Africa can still chase this. And that tells a lot about our bowling. ;) Remember how Sri Lanka nearly chased 414?

boney_g added 2 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

Geezus dude, get over yourself with this "2nd one-day 200" campaign you're on. You already tried to start a thread on it, which got closed down. Don't you have anything better to do?

What is he talking about?

boney_g added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

KKD = Dinesh Karthik.

Cricketman is known as a big fan of KKD in all the major cricket forums. :laugh

boney_g added 2 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Congratulations Tendulkar, he has looked the best of the lot to get it and he has consistently got close to it. Can't think of a better person to break the mark outside of the Aussies.

Yeah he nearly got it against Aus in Nagpur. I would have prefered Saching getting this record against the Aussies. :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread