Sri Lanka in England 2011

You can't blame the IPL for the players' lack of preparation. It's Jayawardene's Sangakarra's responsibility to be there early and acclimatise.

I thought England bowled well and Sri Lanka were very poor. They have only themselves to blame.

I agree it was a combination of good bowling and not very good batting (at times) Shot selection was not great, then again the pundits always waffle on about how it shouldn't be all out defence and batsmen then get out playing shots.

Shame it couldn't have been 81 all out, what England were skittled for in Sri Lanka just before the 06/07 Ashes I believe.

I'm not going to give Strauss too much credit, while plenty will talk about the effect Bell being left short of his hundred would have had, he needs to make sure of his own personal landmarks in good time. Strauss had little enough time as it was to try and force victory, wasting FOUR OVERS was not clever in the slightest no matter how much Bell spin anyone puts on it. England got lucky that things went their way, had Sri Lanka put up much resistance then four wasted overs and the lack of the third seamer would have added up to a drawn game. Any suggestion the batting on was deliberate to somehow con the Sri Lankans into thinking England had given up is pure speculation and I'm sure 100% incorrect.

Strauss is now on 17 wins as captain, just nine behind Vaughan having played 19 less Tests and not nearly as many against the relative minnows. I don't count that abandoned Test in West Indies and if it weren't for their flat tracks I'm sure he'd be a few wins closer.

Interestingly :

1st Innings leads (captains)

Strauss : P20 W15 D5 L0 (Won 75.00%)
Vaughan : P29 W22 D6 L1 (Won 75.86%)

1st Innings deficits (captains)

Strauss : P12 W2 D5 L5 (Won 16.67%)
Vaughan : P22 W4 D8 L10 (Won 18.18%)

While Vaughan has the slight edge in converting leads/deficits to wins, he also lost way too many - even losing from 93 runs ahead of Sri Lanka at half-time. Most of his defeats were from 100+ runs behind as you'd expect.

With Strauss a lot of the defeats are because of frail batting :

ENG 318 & 51 vs WIN 392
ENG 102 & 263 vs AUS 445
ENG 180 & 169 vs SAF 423/7d
ENG 233 & 222 vs PAK 308 & 148/6
ENG 187 & 123 vs AUS 268 & 309

Kinda looks like England's totals from down under in 06/07, definitely not a pretty sight some of those totals. They might not look all that low, bar the obvious excursions below 150, but scoring less than 200 is not clever on most pitches and 250 is below par these days which eight of those innings fall below (well below in some cases)

One other thing on yesterday, England had pretty much everything go for them, even managed to miss a chance or two. Some bad luck on the part of one or two Sri Lankans who might have felt unlucky to get the slightest of edges.

Oh and for me the review system needs to be applied more often. It's all very well reporting that it is X% accurate, what you need to compare is how many incorrect decisions remain and most if not all of those will be 'unreviewed' because of limits on reviews. The 'if they had reviewed it' scenario is the one that worries me, I know the system was supposed to eradicate glaring errors, but sides are using it more tactically which was inevitable, either a batsman knowing if he is out then his side is in trouble, or fielding sides wanting a wicket or just willing to gamble on an LBW being close enough.

it was never going to be about definite errors, if they were that clear then the errors wouldn't be made in the first place. It was always going to be applied to the uncertain, I think the review system needs reviewing if not applying to more calls. Give the power over to the umpires allowing captains, or their nominated representative when not among the batsmen, to discuss with them reasons they want something reviewed and I reckon it will work. If a batsman says "I think I edged it" then the umpire can review an LBW, if the fielding captain says "I think that LBW was close" the umpire can say why he didn't give it. While they're discussing it of course the TV umpire can have a quick look and advise the onfield umpire if he thinks it needs reviewing and you get a kind of three way vote with 2-1 winning it.

Nobody Should blame IPL for pathetic performance by Lankans esp Lassana Dias..

Dilshan Left IPL early but Sanga and Jaya didn't, so its not the fault of IPL or BCCI.

Plus You Board should have control over your players like Malinga and those who left IPL late, Don't Forget BCCI hasn't allowed Any of Indian player to play in Big-bash due to Domestic cricket and Team Which is going to play in WI is selected on basis of domestic..

Remember you had a pathetic bowling attack, you don't have any cover for Malinga and Vaas (after him you didn't got any quality bowler) and Mendis is not that threatening now...

So You should look into you domestic structure before blaming IPL. It's Okay that IPL can be Problem for International Cricket but it's the responsibility of Player to think where they are meant to be played. by the way why you are starting SLPL and asking Some Of Indian Players to Play in it, If all these leagues are not good for future of International cricket ??

Man, imagine sachin and dhoni saying they cant play practice matches in very different conditions because they are busy playing in a domestic tournament for money!!! Then come to the test match and score 40+ in four innings as team losses ? thank god we made 400 thanks to the people who took their country first !! including Dilshan who came from IPL and played the first warm up match!!!

What IPL and BCCI is going to sri lankan cricket, WI cricket and in general to cricket is just wrong !!! you cant see this only because your Indian !!! I am being as nice as I can be

----------

You first stop blaming India and IPL for pathetic Lankan performance.

Whats wrong is wrong !!! that?s because your Indian it will not change, just face it and deal with it

Man, imagine sachin and dhoni saying they cant play practice matches in very different conditions because they are busy playing in a domestic tournament for money!!! Then come to the test match and score 40+ in four innings as team losses ? thank god we made 400 thanks to the people who took their country first !! including Dilshan who came from IPL and played the first warm up match!!!

What IPL and BCCI is going to sri lankan cricket, WI cricket and in general to cricket is just wrong !!! you cant see this only because your Indian !!! I am being as nice as I can be

----------

Whats wrong is wrong !!! that?s because your Indian it will not change, just face it and deal with it

Exactly!!!its was a pathetic performance and Lanka deserved to lose, Just deal with it and stop trying to find reasons.

Sachin and Dhoni will never do that because they play for their international team and not for any domestic tournament. We will talk about this when a new tournament similar to IPL starts. For now, there is just one domestic tournament which is held on international level and that is IPL. There is no point in talking about any domestic tournament that hasn't started.

I can understand how you're feeling mate but blaming IPL for all this isn't the best idea. You must admit that it was the mistake of the senior players of the Sri Lankan team to play in the IPL rather than playing practice matches in the England. You just cannot blame the IPL, players must select between country and a domestic tournament.

Yeah!!! I am sure Sri Lanka would have won if it was not for the IPL.........Not.

Yes if our 2 best batsman got use to the conditions and we had lasith malinga and nuwan pradeep fit, it could have being little better. Logically speaking

Our next best find Nuwan Pradeep, who could ball 150kmph was used as a practice bowler for one IPL team. he bowled 2 hours everyday, without playing a single IPL game and got injured.
But he stepped on the ball and did his knee. This is like saying F1 drivers get injured because they're unfit. Accidents do happen.

I'm sure it was tough work for Pradeep, but I can't think of a Test preparation that wouldn't be. I'd wager he was better off netting against IPL batsmen than actually playing the matches and maybe getting only 20 minutes.

Sachin and Dhoni will never do that because they play for their international team and not for any domestic tournament. We will talk about this when a new tournament similar to IPL starts. For now, there is just one domestic tournament which is held on international level and that is IPL. There is no point in talking about any domestic tournament that hasn't started.

I can understand how you're feeling mate but blaming IPL for all this isn't the best idea. You must admit that it was the mistake of the senior players of the Sri Lankan team to play in the IPL rather than playing practice matches in the England. You just cannot blame the IPL, players must select between country and a domestic tournament.

Adithya that’s why I don’t completely blame IPL, it was our players call too but, BCCI also forced them saying they would not pay them anything if they leave. Only dlishan had balls to say no and was there from the first practice game…. I am sorry but IPL and BCCI is interfering with other countries in a very bad way !!! i don’t know how anyone can ignore this, well SOME Indians might but not all for sure

----------

But he stepped on the ball and did his knee. This is like saying F1 drivers get injured because they're unfit. Accidents do happen.

I'm sure it was tough work for Pradeep, but I can't think of a Test preparation that wouldn't be. I'd wager he was better off netting against IPL batsmen than actually playing the matches and maybe getting only 20 minutes.

mate, trust me... i had a chat with nuwan yesterday. he got payed 20,000$ and he was asked to bowl 2 hours every day in the nets. with he's action, thats just asking for truble

It's Aditya. :) I don't see how BCCI and IPL is interfering with other countries. It's a player decision to play in the IPL or not, you don't play in the IPL, you don't get paid, that's obvious. It's not like a player will play 12 matches for his franchise in 3 years and will still get his full payment. Some players play for their country and some just simply play for money, if players are playing for money, you just cannot blame IPL and BCCI for that. Players are not forced to take part in the IPL, it's their decision, no one is forcing them.

What the fearsome tweak?! I didn't even think to watch it, I check what the score was today and we won! Astounding!

England are single handedly saving test cricket. :cheers

IPL aside because I think that is irrelevant here, I would like to say England's bowling was superb in the second innings. Especially when Tremlett and Swann combined, the Sri Lankan bowlers did not have an answer. There were a couple of bad shots in the mix but when you are under pressure by outstanding bowling that sort of thing can happen. I believe that Sri Lanka will come good in the next two matches.

Average of SL batsman outside Asia
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

SL have never won a test match in India too.

It is time some fans realise that scoring 5000 runs against ZIM and BANG don't make them a great team.

----------

----------

Why haven't SL won a test match in India in their history ? Man your players suck outside home. Accept it.

Users who are viewing this thread