Stand Up Comedy

I like most of these people, Chris Rock is ok but whenever you watch him on tv it's with a stupid American audience who all start going woop woop, woooooooo, yehaw, every time he makes a joke.

The fighting talk with Jim Jeffries was brilliant, not sure he'll be let back on again though after that. Also there's another stand up comic off fighting talk, Henning Wehn, I only mention him though because he sounds exactly like Fabio Capellos translator for England :p

Akmal Saleh

Thread actually closed...

Back open.

Yes I know they overlap a bit but there's some good stuff in there. Live he is hillarious!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have aspirations to be a stand-up comedian. I deliver positively hilarious presentations in school (you probably won't believe it - but I have people in stiches), but what makes a good stand-up in your opinion?

I did too, back in the day. Wait until you come up with a presentation that gets absolutely no reaction from the audience, and you wonder how come, as it was hilarious while you were thinking about it. Then you'll realise what stand-up comedians have to go through, and think twice about your ambitions. The only thing in life worse than a cold audience is a cold toilet seat. One thing that they have in common though, is they both result in you crapping yourself.

Bill Hicks and George Carlin

I enjoy the stand ups who are just funny. But those add in genuinely insightful social/political commentary while being amongst the funniest.

I did too, back in the day. Wait until you come up with a presentation that gets absolutely no reaction from the audience, and you wonder how come, as it was hilarious while you were thinking about it. Then you'll realise what stand-up comedians have to go through, and think twice about your ambitions. The only thing in life worse than a cold audience is a cold toilet seat. One thing that they have in common though, is they both result in you crapping yourself.

I understand that it would be a massive risk. However, I have done about four or five to date and they have all been recieved very well. I will take your advice into account though.

The fighting talk with Jim Jeffries was brilliant, not sure he'll be let back on again though after that.
:p He was, he got on again about a month back I think it was, just as contraversial:D.

Wahey! Just seen Russell Howard's announced a new tour:D. Doing two dates in Manchester, hopefully gonna try and get tickets for those. I think Peter Kay is supposed to be announcing a new tour soon as well.

Eddie Murphy's Delirious is a classic. Richard Pryor is another legendary stand-up comedian.

I have aspirations to be a stand-up comedian. I deliver positively hilarious presentations in school (you probably won't believe it - but I have people in stiches), but what makes a good stand-up in your opinion?
The best modern stand-up's seldom tell jokes, they turn something ordinary and everyday into something that makes you laugh. Really good ones don't appear to rigid with their routine and are able to interact with the audience and improvise (although it probably takes a lot of practice to be that spontaneous ;)), there is nothing worse than seeing someone dying on their feet but sticking to their routine. And of course there is the first rule of comedy - timing.

The best modern stand-up's seldom tell jokes, they turn something ordinary and everyday into something that makes you laugh. Really good ones don't appear to rigid with their routine and are able to interact with the audience and improvise (although it probably takes a lot of practice to be that spontaneous ;)), there is nothing worse than seeing someone dying on their feet but sticking to their routine. And of course there is the first rule of comedy - timing.

like peter kay does, just talks about his childhood most of the time but makes it funny, but i think its funnyer if your northen as you can relate to it more

I don't think so, I think it's universally funny, hence his success.

but would he never sold as many tickets outside manchester, never got close to as many people as at the very fomous gig at the MEN, i think he is loved by all, but more up north

Tbh, my greatest asset is audience participation, but I have a weakness of thinking on my feet beyond participating with the audience.

Russell Peters is awesome.

Who's the Aussie guy with a fake leg? I remember seeing some of his stuff on YouTube and it was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread