Suggestions / Ideas / Wishlist

IDEA : We can make the bowling system according to the difficulty..
for e.g - amature level - there wont be a 3d graphical icon...but the normal
ones like EA / codies

semi pro / pro level - there will be some automatic assistance in case of errors made in gripping the ball etc etc

international / hard level - just like real life. the ball will behave according to the grip / seam etc etc

that would be good, but wont the game be really slow if u have to position the wrist and seam before each ball.

got a few more questions/suggestions

for spinners, how will loop be implemented?

will the game implement dirft, which i think is caused by the rotating ball. The more revolutions on the ball, the more it drifts. i think its the opposite way to the way the ball will turn off the pitch cos shane warne dirfts the ball into the right hander before turning it away. The more revolutions u attempt to put on teh ball, the more dirft and turn but less accuracy. The ammount of revs that could be put on by the bowler, before its becomes uncontrolableis determined by the bowlers quality.

Last edited:
Do you rekon youll be using my pace list in the game cos if u are then ill keep updating it

I liked the idea someone mentioned earlier, about rotating the ball so the seam is in the right place for the required delivery (eg pointing to the slips for an outswinger). I also thought that, for spinners and pace bowlers doing off- and leg-cutters, you could double tap the directional key to start it spinning in that direction, the speed determined by the bowlers ability at spinning (Warne > Giles). You could also change this at the last minute to fool the batsman.

legend_master said:
well, some excellent ideas here on bowling...

Inzi, I do like your ideas, but i wanted something a little bit different...and srk121 good stuff also, but not exactly what i had in mind...though certainly on the right track...Manee also made some great points which i agree on most...

here is my proposed bowling system...

if you are bowling:
---------------

Pace bowlers:
there is a graphical icon of the 3d ball which has a shiny side etc. - user can rotate this ball icon to how they want it orientated when it is bowled - as suggested, the resulting movement of the ball is randomised, influenced by various stats and other factors. There will be a bowling marker which you will position where you would like it to pitch. You can choose which kind of delivery you intend to bowl (if your bowler has a zero stat for a type of delivery then it will not be available) - normal straight, leg cutter, off cutter...then you will have a powerbar similar to the batting power bar which will determine how much 'intended speed' you want the ball to travel at. So while all of this is controllable, it is only 'intended', nothing is guaranteed...also, if you can spin and do pace then you will be offered an option of which kind you want to choose before you start...Push the button for the bowler to start runup then push again to make him bowl. If you are too late then the foot will go over the line and no ball will be called.

Spinners:
spinners will be slightly different. You will choose what kind of delivery to bowl(based on what is available to you - determined by stats over zero) - again, if you can spin and do pace then you will be offered an option of which kind you want to choose. You will then choose where you want to position the marker - this is the intended spot for where the ball will land. Push the button for the bowler to start runup then push again to make him bowl. If you are too late then the foot will go over the line and no ball will be called. A powerbar will come up and this will decide how much 'rip' you want to put in. Better bowlers will have a slower rising powerbar so you have more control over it. If it goes to the max of the red zone in the bar then the ball will be a 'loose delivery' and will be easily sloggable...this is an incentive to avoid going for too much...same applies for the pace bowlers too..basically the rule of thumb with the powerbar - for batting and bowling, is the more power/rip etc you put in (i.e. the deeper into the red zone you go) the more wayward the delivery - the more it will be NOT what you wanted or expected...

If you are batting:
--------------

when batting you will only see the marker very late (marker can be turned off in the options as well) and you will also get a 'best judgement' icon of how your batsman thinks the ball will turn, swing or seam...you wont know exactly what kind of ball the bowler is bowling or exactly where it will land..

there is always 'chaos' in all of this - nothing is ever 100% - so even Glenn Mcgrath wont get the ball in exactly the spot he wants 100% of the time.

Comments welcome, though i really like this system hehe... ;)

LM

LM,

I would just add some variation for lenght too. If you already select the bowling marker then lenght is guranteed. Getting the lenght right is one of the toughest thing for a bowler to do. Thats why i suggested that when the bowler is about to bowl the longer he presses Enter the shorter the ball is.

But if he comes too close to the crease and keeps enter pressed for long it ends up being a no ball.

This keeps the batsman guessing to which lenght the ball will be at , like real life.

Thanks
Asif

L.M. your system looks pretty good. but bowling marker does not satisfy me, because:

reason 1: human batsman would know where the bowl will pitch either they will leave it or defense if it a good bowl. that's why i think zonal idea is good.

reason 2: tentetive movement by the batsman won't come to effect and it would be similar to other cricket games.

i think length length variation by the zonal would make it realistic becuase bowler knows some what where he wants to pitch the bowl, but then he wont have total control over swing and also line. bowl will pitch in that length area but where it would depend on that bowler statistics and his ability. so that will make human batsman play differently to computer bowlers. human will only know that it will pitch in that area but where how close how out side off stump he wont know. So he will play from the place not moving about.

When you play 2 players in C2K5, the batter can see the area where the ball will pitch, but the bowler and batter only know for sure at the very last moment. That seems to be and ideal method for 2 players. And for the type of delivery - on a PS2 there is a wide list, so you press a button and the list disappears and the ball is bowled. Don't see how that will work on a PC though. Thank God for online play ay? ;) :p

I know this will complicate things further but it would be good if a ball that is intended to be bad by the position of the marker (through bad controlling) it stays there

LM, i LOVE the idea you have for bowling. the 3d icon seems perfect.

my only concern is the bowling marker which will tell the batsman the length the ball is going to be in/around.

i would say have this bowling marker as optional (toggle option). if the player/players want it in the game, let it be visible, otherwise not.

basically if the player is bowling, let the 'invisible' marker start at the same place in the middle of the pitch and let the player learn how to direct the ball over time. this way the batsman doesnt see the ball till he's supposed to, and bowling presents a new challenge, which i dont think has been incorporated in any other cricket game.

perhaps the marker could appear just when the batsman would see it in real time.

i also have a question regarding the power bar (bowling). is this linked to when the bowler starts his run-up/pushes the button again so that he doesnt overstep? ideally the batsman should see/sense the speed when the ball is just released from the hand. he shouldnt get a hint from the power bar?

jk16_4 said:
yes..excellent suggestion..in all the cricket games..the batsman while playing
test..leaves the ball if its either pitched outside the line of the stumps and blocks it if pitched in-line..

tentative pushes will result in more edges and a bowler like mcgrath can take
advantage of his seaming ability :)

absolutely...this will be part of the AI plan...;)

Can we have Sponsored series, eg ; Pepsi Cup, etc... ?
just to make the game more fun.

sid_19840 said:
How is it going to work though for a 2-player game,i.e where both players are human.The batsman is always bound to know what sort of a delivery a bowler is bowling.

yes, good question - this would only be an issue for head to head on the same computer...multiplay p2p could have the batsman's view of that hidden..but hard to hide on the same pc...let me think on this one...

dhruvdeepak said:
LM, i LOVE the idea you have for bowling. the 3d icon seems perfect.

my only concern is the bowling marker which will tell the batsman the length the ball is going to be in/around.

i would say have this bowling marker as optional (toggle option). if the player/players want it in the game, let it be visible, otherwise not.

basically if the player is bowling, let the 'invisible' marker start at the same place in the middle of the pitch and let the player learn how to direct the ball over time. this way the batsman doesnt see the ball till he's supposed to, and bowling presents a new challenge, which i dont think has been incorporated in any other cricket game.

perhaps the marker could appear just when the batsman would see it in real time.

i also have a question regarding the power bar (bowling). is this linked to when the bowler starts his run-up/pushes the button again so that he doesnt overstep? ideally the batsman should see/sense the speed when the ball is just released from the hand. he shouldnt get a hint from the power bar?

that is a brilliant idea...i like it a lot...having the marker invisible by default (but option in game options there to have visible if player wants)

im a little concerned i guess that batting might be too hard if you can't see the marker...in real life the batsman does get an idea of the length in the time the ball leaves the bowler's hand and the time it reaches him...this needs to be simulated in some way...but i do like the invisible marker thing...maybe it appears very late, like after the ball leaves the bowler's hand??

regarding the bowler's power bar, if you are batting you wont see it (barring the 2 player on same pc issue...) - it will only be visible if you are bowling...

a lot of this might be more apparent when i am testing it i think...

also, regarding the wrist idea, i think that's a bit full on....i like the idea of being able to turn the detailed stuff off if you like...i think just doing a quick rotate of the ball before bowling is not too bad..you can even just leave it straight if you like...but it probably would get a bit tiresome to have to line up the seam perfectly and the wrist etc. whatever happens it can't be so detailed that it bogs down the play...but i really want bowling to be fun and realistic at the same time...i always use autoplay cos i hate bowling...though a lot of this is because of the cpu AI.... :rolleyes:

LM

legend_master said:
yes, good question - this would only be an issue for head to head on the same computer...multiplay p2p could have the batsman's view of that hidden..but hard to hide on the same pc...let me think on this one...

that is a brilliant idea...i like it a lot...having the marker invisible by default (but option in game options there to have visible if player wants)

im a little concerned i guess that batting might be too hard if you can't see the marker...in real life the batsman does get an idea of the length in the time the ball leaves the bowler's hand and the time it reaches him...this needs to be simulated in some way...but i do like the invisible marker thing...maybe it appears very late, like after the ball leaves the bowler's hand??

regarding the bowler's power bar, if you are batting you wont see it (barring the 2 player on same pc issue...) - it will only be visible if you are bowling...

a lot of this might be more apparent when i am testing it i think...

also, regarding the wrist idea, i think that's a bit full on....i like the idea of being able to turn the detailed stuff off if you like...i think just doing a quick rotate of the ball before bowling is not too bad..you can even just leave it straight if you like...but it probably would get a bit tiresome to have to line up the seam perfectly and the wrist etc. whatever happens it can't be so detailed that it bogs down the play...but i really want bowling to be fun and realistic at the same time...i always use autoplay cos i hate bowling...though a lot of this is because of the cpu AI.... :rolleyes:

LM

Sounds about right to me, LM. Let the marker appear just when the ball is released, so that the realistic feel is there. The great part about this (removing/ delaying the appearance of the bowling marker was done in cricket 2004 in some patches, but didnt really revolutionize gameplay) is that the marker is only an intended destination for the ball, and will vary with stats. Brilliant!

This does two things:

a) Makes bowling a challenge, and quite realistic. There is no way you can bowl the ball exactly where you imagine in your mind's eye, in real life. Variations in where the ball ends up should definitely be linked to stats. More I think about it, the better this invisible marker thing sounds.
I think the game will be fine in multi-player mode, but AI is important because this realistic feel has to be simulated in a CPU-batsman playing against the player-Bowler.

b) The player batting doesn't have a shot 'prepared' so that his only challenge is hitting the button at the right time. This will make the game Tough (at least tougher than games in the market today), but I think eventually makes it more fun. AI will come into play in a big way again here, with the CPU-bowler trying to think out the player/batsman. If this is robust, I think this game can go a LONG LONG WAY.

Regarding the rotating 3D ball icon for before bowling, yep I think this is the opportunity to make this game appeal to a diverse range of people. Whoever is not interested in the details can just press the button and not concentrate on this option of the game, and move on to delivering the ball. If you want, you can get the seam aligned the right way and try your hand at getting wickets with swing and seam, and variety in spin.

Regarding your idea about using the 3D ball for spin, maybe allow the ball to rotate/ switch from a 'good' seam position, to a scrambled position, to a top-spinner/flipper position and a googly one, and then of course the amount of rotations imparted on the ball depends on the power bar, resulting in a huge variety of different and unique deliveries.

Another question, if I am batting against the CPU, will I be able to see the 3D ball icon? Maybe allow it to flash on the screen just before the bowler releases the ball?

how about rather than having the marker show up late have a small flash on the pitch in the area where the ball is bowled, but the flash shouldnt give away exactley where it will be bowled you still have to make a judgement on wich area of the flash the you think ball will pitch

dhruvdeepak said:
Sounds about right to me, LM. Let the marker appear just when the ball is released, so that the realistic feel is there. The great part about this (removing/ delaying the appearance of the bowling marker was done in cricket 2004 in some patches, but didnt really revolutionize gameplay) is that the marker is only an intended destination for the ball, and will vary with stats. Brilliant!

This does two things:

a) Makes bowling a challenge, and quite realistic. There is no way you can bowl the ball exactly where you imagine in your mind's eye, in real life. Variations in where the ball ends up should definitely be linked to stats. More I think about it, the better this invisible marker thing sounds.
I think the game will be fine in multi-player mode, but AI is important because this realistic feel has to be simulated in a CPU-batsman playing against the player-Bowler.

b) The player batting doesn't have a shot 'prepared' so that his only challenge is hitting the button at the right time. This will make the game Tough (at least tougher than games in the market today), but I think eventually makes it more fun. AI will come into play in a big way again here, with the CPU-bowler trying to think out the player/batsman. If this is robust, I think this game can go a LONG LONG WAY.

Regarding the rotating 3D ball icon for before bowling, yep I think this is the opportunity to make this game appeal to a diverse range of people. Whoever is not interested in the details can just press the button and not concentrate on this option of the game, and move on to delivering the ball. If you want, you can get the seam aligned the right way and try your hand at getting wickets with swing and seam, and variety in spin.

Regarding your idea about using the 3D ball for spin, maybe allow the ball to rotate/ switch from a 'good' seam position, to a scrambled position, to a top-spinner/flipper position and a googly one, and then of course the amount of rotations imparted on the ball depends on the power bar, resulting in a huge variety of different and unique deliveries.

Another question, if I am batting against the CPU, will I be able to see the 3D ball icon? Maybe allow it to flash on the screen just before the bowler releases the ball?

cool...yeah i agree with what you said - i like the sound of it...

to answer your question, you would see what the batsman believed the ball was going to do ;) - this is based on his stats (reading the ball / focus etc. and other factors...so you could choose to trust his judgement or not.. ;)

no_remorse28 said:
how about rather than having the marker show up late have a small flash on the pitch in the area where the ball is bowled, but the flash shouldnt give away exactley where it will be bowled you still have to make a judgement on wich area of the flash the you think ball will pitch

yeah, this is a good idea too...let me think about it...maybe even a compromise between the 2....

Users who are viewing this thread