Suggestions / Ideas / Wishlist

Would we be able to get it as a patch?
Probably, but it might be quite a bit after the game itself (career mode probably takes precedence over challenges, unless of course there are career mode challenges)

Wouldn't it be hard to add game modes itself? Because then you'd also have you counter for putting it into the menu etc.

The scoop shot. Kind of like a lob over the infielders and not putting heaps of 'oomph' on the ball. I remember Simon Katich using it a bit.

I have a big suggestion for commentary.

1. Talk out system.
Is it possible to make a sort of talk out the characeters system ? So that if a user makes a custom player, the name is automatically read out ? Its done in many games / softwares. This way, you can save an incredible amount of space required for the game.

2. Is it possible to make a system where sound pitches are alterated ?

Like sort of, there's one line " He's hit it out of the ground"

Now this line can be said in different ways. If a person is hitting 10 sixes in a row, and this is the 11'th one, the commentator may not be as excited, as he would be if that were the last over of the innings with 17 runs to win. So Instead of recording the different types of sounds, isnt it possible that they are just alterated in pitch / tone whatever when they are being played ? That would bring in a lot of variation.

I remember a software called Talkit which did all these things. If it can be done then why not in TAOC ?

1. Talk out system.
Is it possible to make a sort of talk out the characeters system ? So that if a user makes a custom player, the name is automatically read out ? Its done in many games / softwares. This way, you can save an incredible amount of space required for the game.

Now this line can be said in different ways. If a person is hitting 10 sixes in a row, and this is the 11'th one, the commentator may not be as excited, as he would be if that were the last over of the innings with 17 runs to win. So Instead of recording the different types of sounds, isnt it possible that they are just alterated in pitch / tone whatever when they are being played ? That would bring in a lot of variation.

I remember a software called Talkit which did all these things. If it can be done then why not in TAOC ?

great idea if it can be done - would need research tho...

Thats already in, you just have to lessen the power while playing.

i think he meant the actual animation for that stroke...could be done, though i have kinda already signed off on all the strokes to be included. Still, if it was really necessary i could add it, just not sure that it is really necessary ;)

Last edited:

1. Talk out system.

You know, I was thinking about this very topic in the shower the other day. In an ideal world with perfect programmers, we would program an AI element (the commentator) who would have access to knowledge about the rules of the game, statistics, history of completed matches, etc. And he would then react to any situation by calculating a response to what happened. Of course, this is fairly impossible with our current level of computational power.

Now, what you are essentially talking about is text-to-speech, isn't it? While TTS has come a long way since it was first invented, I still think it leaves a lot to be desired. It cannot, for example, compete properly with a human voice (though it can get very close).

Third, there is the option of modifying recorded sounds to make them convey different expressions. I think it will be fairly difficult to develop a general model for this given all the different accents and pronounciations and without a decent bit of research into the topic. I can actually tell you that a lot of research does happen in these areas in higher educational institutions.

In summary, it seems like a lofty goal for such a cricket game, since much of the research is still taking place, I think. I think one would be safer by going with the old format of a pre-recorded database of commentary, except make it much larger than commercial ones, and also much more applicable!

great idea if it can be done - would need research tho...

i think he meant the actual animation for that stroke...could be done, though i have kinda already signed off on all the strokes to be included. Still, if it was really necessary i could add it, just not sure that it is really necessary ;)

I think it probably is necessary. Going to every Sussex Twenty20 match at Hove the shot is played/attempted quite often as it a good way of finding the gap. It would be so good if you could implement it properly :)

I know this is just ridiculous demanding, but could this be considered for perhaps the next installment of TAOC??

The fine-leg paddle shot, which is a trademark shot of Mohammad Ashraful. Also in the list of the shots implemented in the game, I noticed that there is sweep shot only against spin. Would that mean that you cannot sweep against pace?? This is, once again (the sweep against pace), another improvised talent of Mohammad Ashraful, and Jonty Rhodes.

I know this is just ridiculous demanding, but could this be considered for perhaps the next installment of TAOC??

The fine-leg paddle shot, which is a trademark shot of Mohammad Ashraful. Also in the list of the shots implemented in the game, I noticed that there is sweep shot only against spin. Would that mean that you cannot sweep against pace?? This is, once again (the sweep against pace), another improvised talent of Mohammad Ashraful, and Jonty Rhodes.

Good idea Naveed, but I think for the amount of work that would go into the animations of this shot and the work, for only one or two players that make use of the shot, I find it fairly pointless ;). It's Legend's say though...

You know, I was thinking about this very topic in the shower the other day. In an ideal world with perfect programmers, we would program an AI element (the commentator) who would have access to knowledge about the rules of the game, statistics, history of completed matches, etc. And he would then react to any situation by calculating a response to what happened. Of course, this is fairly impossible with our current level of computational power.

Now, what you are essentially talking about is text-to-speech, isn't it? While TTS has come a long way since it was first invented, I still think it leaves a lot to be desired. It cannot, for example, compete properly with a human voice (though it can get very close).

Third, there is the option of modifying recorded sounds to make them convey different expressions. I think it will be fairly difficult to develop a general model for this given all the different accents and pronounciations and without a decent bit of research into the topic. I can actually tell you that a lot of research does happen in these areas in higher educational institutions.

In summary, it seems like a lofty goal for such a cricket game, since much of the research is still taking place, I think. I think one would be safer by going with the old format of a pre-recorded database of commentary, except make it much larger than commercial ones, and also much more applicable!
Yeah, lot of research is needed, i agree. But if it can be implemented, it can save a lot of disk space and some other stuff !

I have experimented this with sometimes audacity. changing some attributes of sounds change how and in what tone it is pronounced. I'll try get an example as soon as possib le ( If possible :p )

Users who are viewing this thread