TAOC Discussion

what i meant by BLIC is that. it had many different action such as harmison, murali.

and i am happy to to know that you are going to include different actions.

Great stuff LM! Keep it up man. Just want to know, will there be batsmen getting bowl out by getting inside edges on to the stumps? I'm sure you have worked on that.
:cheers

Last edited:
Drewska said:
In BLIC there are variatons. Like for off-spinner there the normal action and a bent-armed action, for a fast bowlers theres a "Harmison action" a normal action and a Slingy one.

Cool - yeah, there will be several different animations....

Dhoni said:
Great stuff LM! Keep it up man. Just want to know, will there be batsmen getting bowl out by getting inside edges on to the stumps? I'm sure you have worked on that.
:cheers

yep, already implemented - will see on the next video ;)

I can't stress how happy i am with the physics/collision system i have in place :D

e.g. If the ball hits your bat then onto your pads then onto the wickets it all acts realistically and gets recognised. If it hits your bat then your pads then gets caught, then you are out (unless ump makes a bad call ;) )

LM

Lovely stuff mate! Can't wait for the next video to release. You're doing a great job!

Quick progress update:

Ok, been a while since the last update, here's the latest:

- fixed some massive structural code issues
- fixed bowling system so it behaves correctly and is more extensible to cater for different player stats
- added animations for non-strker - idling, backing up - for spin and pace bolwers
- made code more robust, fixed lots of tiny bugs that would have caused a lot of issues later on..
- fixed batsman movement to be more responsive - so you can now literally move right up till the point where the ball reaches your bat, giving ultimate control - previously was a slight delay between releasing 'move' button and the batsman swinging the bat.
- beamers look cool and can be slogged away on the full for 6! ;)

bad newz:

* i found that when having 2 high-poly batsman models animating at the same time (i.e. strike and non striker) the FPS slowed down on my machine quite noticably. The reason is the batsman model was simply too high-poly (too much detail on the model itself - ignoring textures). I'll take the blame for that, as i overestimated my own GPU's performance and was very lazy with my polygon budgeting - which is a no no for high perf gaming. It's easier to make high-poly models than low-poly ones that still look good! The game absolutely must run at a contstant 60fps so i have to fix the model up. This means i'm gonna spend this week remodelling the high-poly areas of the model. I need to reduce it by half the polys, so gonna have to do some neat modelling.

I have already started tho, and so far the shirt has been REDUCED by over 1000 polys! and looks almost as great as before, so i'm stoked! :happy

I guess i will have an option in the final release for 'high-detailed' models and 'not as high detailed models' to cater for the different extremes in people's PC specs...mind you, the average PC will be much more powerful by the time the game is released.

So, i'll keep chugging away and hopefully knock this over soon enough then back onto the running between wickets stuff. Just a shame that i had to get diverted to do this, but i 've learned a valuable lesson in the process!

LM

Last edited:
legend_master said:
Quick progress update:

Ok, been a while since the last update, here's the latest:

- fixed some massive structural code issues
- fixed bowling system so it behaves correctly and is more extensible to cater for different player stats
- added animations for non-strker - idling, backing up - for spin and pace bolwers
- made code more robust, fixed lots of tiny bugs that would have caused a lot of issues later on..
- fixed batsman movement to be more responsive - so you can now literally move right up till the point where the ball reaches your bat, giving ultimate control - previously was a slight delay between releasing 'move' button and the batsman swinging the bat.
- beamers look cool and can be slogged away on the full for 6! ;)

bad newz:

* i found that when having 2 high-poly batsman models animating at the same time (i.e. strike and non striker) the FPS slowed down on my machine quite noticably. The reason is the batsman model was simply too high-poly (too much detail on the model itself - ignoring textures). I'll take the blame for that, as i overestimated my own GPU's performance and was very lazy with my polygon budgeting - which is a no no for high perf gaming. It's easier to make high-poly models than low-poly ones that still look good! The game absolutely must run at a contstant 60fps so i have to fix the model up. This means i'm gonna spend this week remodelling the high-poly areas of the model. I need to reduce it by half the polys, so gonna have to do some neat modelling.

I have already started tho, and so far the shirt has been REDUCED by over 1000 polys! and looks almost as great as before, so i'm stoked! :happy

I guess i will have an option in the final release for 'high-detailed' models and 'not as high detailed models' to cater for the different extremes in people's PC specs...mind you, the average PC will be much more powerful by the time the game is released.

So, i'll keep chugging away and hopefully knock this over soon enough then back onto the running between wickets stuff. Just a shame that i had to get diverted to do this, but i 've learned a valuable lesson in the process!

LM
No problems mate, you should take as much time you want, but what's more important is perfection. That should be there. :onpc

well, made some great progress on the model...i estimate once done, the polycount will be 1 third of the original model, which should be enough to run nice and smooth with all models animating at the same time :)

mixed feelings about the 20/20 game on tv last night tho, off topic....

LM

Why has the forum gone so quite? no worries i am alawys here to motivate you mate. keep up the good work. any idea by when we would able to see next video? just askin mate.

yeah, a bit quiet indeed...well, i s'pose hasn't been much to report, just workin my way thru the new lower-poly model - makin good progress on it tho! Should be finished soon...

next video will be when i get back...probably around 20th Jan, so pls be patient ;)...it will feature quite a lot of new stuff...new camera tracking system, reverse sweep, pull, hook, late cut, new drive animations, back foot defensive shots / BF drives, inside edges, outside edges,new movement , slogging a beamer, new ball physics, fixed bowling trajectories and physics, non-striker, running between wickets (hopefully) and additional high quality versions of the video(s) for poeple with broadband and bandwidth to spare...

i shud also mention im goin overseas for a few days from this weekend so wont be back till 18th Jan...dont worry i haven't disappeared ;)

Well, great newz everyone...

i am happy to report that the reworked model is complete and it is really great considering it's a third of the size of the previous model! It actually deforms better when animated too, i made sure this time that i designed the structure with that in mind...while i was at it i also took the liberty of doing a 'long sleeves' version of the same model - again, came out really cool...might post a screen or 2 tonite, see how i go....i'm really hoping to get running between wickets done before i go on Saturday, but if not it will be done shortly after i return...so good newz all round i reckon.

This re-modelling was a necessary diversion, but things are now back on track, and much improved over before - dare i even say the model looks a bit better despite the lower polycount? :-)

anyhoo, thanks guys and i'll chat soon

LM

Users who are viewing this thread