TAOC Discussion

Ramz

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
WOW!!! great work man.. i am really impressed by your work man... hope to see more screens.. good luck with all the hard work man.. :) ... this game is going to be greattt

dobbo2k4

Club Cricketer
Not been on tis site for a while, but still impressed with what's happening here LM. Keep up the hard work guys Looking forward to reading updates etc

srk121

International Coach
i have to say. dedication and hard work has made possiblities of this game. ur truly a Legend mate. keep up the good work. :clap :clap :clap :clap

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
quick little update...

working hard to complete the running between wickets...

so far have done it so you can run (striker and non striker at variable speeds based on their speed and running wickets stats), cancel a run and turn back, start running again without having to return to your crease first, etc. so all scenarios are almost taken care of...the variable speeds thing is pretty cool, cos you can imagine if you are running with Inzi then he will be pretty slow and tend to cause mixups etc. - i also want to have it so that if you play 2 player against AI on one machine or over the network, then one player can control batsman A and one player control bastman B and both have to run independently and will run at their individual speeds...so not all batsman will just run exactly in unison. If you are single player against AI then the nonstriker will be cpu controlled and will respond according to his stats for running between wickets...this stuff is complete..

right now i'm working on the PIP icons...i tried a 3D picture in picture of the running - top left of screen - similar to BLIC... but ran into real problems with frame rate...having a second camera rendering the scene almost halved the frame rate so i wasn't happy with it...the game has to get a stable 60fps to run smoothly. So i have decided to sacrifice looks for performance in this case, adding a 2D picture in picture to the top left of the batsmen running, kind of like a radar image with little icons of the batsmen running in sync with the 3D counterparts. This is so you can judge the running when the main 3D batsmen are off-screen running between wickets. You can judge by the radar where the batsmen are and if you should run again etc. Actually looks pretty cool, despite not being a proper 2nd camera rendering of the 3d scene. Hopefully will finish this tonight and then can add diving into crease and fix up other little minor glitches...

I am also expecting to have the kitmaking pack ready soon, so i will soon be in contact with kitmakers who put up their hands....but i will only be accepting high quality work, so please only put up your hand if your'e really good and experienced with kitmaking ;)

cheers all,

LM

prarara

International Cricketer
so far have done it so you can run (striker and non striker at variable speeds based on their speed and running wickets stats), cancel a run and turn back, start running again without having to return to your crease first, etc. so all scenarios are almost taken care of...the variable speeds thing is pretty cool, cos you can imagine if you are running with Inzi then he will be pretty slow and tend to cause mixups etc. - i also want to have it so that if you play 2 player against AI on one machine or over the network, then one player can control batsman A and one player control bastman B and both have to run independently and will run at their individual speeds...so not all batsman will just run exactly in unison. If you are single player against AI then the nonstriker will be cpu controlled and will respond according to his stats for running between wickets...this stuff is complete..

Wow that's brilliant!

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
legend_master said:
quick little update...

working hard to complete the running between wickets...

right now i'm working on the PIP icons...i tried a 3D picture in picture of the running - top left of screen - similar to BLIC... but ran into real problems with frame rate...having a second camera rendering the scene almost halved the frame rate so i wasn't happy with it...the game has to get a stable 60fps to run smoothly. So i have decided to sacrifice looks for performance in this case, adding a 2D picture in picture to the top left of the batsmen running, kind of like a radar image with little icons of the batsmen running in sync with the 3D counterparts. This is so you can judge the running when the main 3D batsmen are off-screen running between wickets. You can judge by the radar where the batsmen are and if you should run again etc. Actually looks pretty cool, despite not being a proper 2nd camera rendering of the 3d scene. Hopefully will finish this tonight and then can add diving into crease and fix up other little minor glitches...

I am also expecting to have the kitmaking pack ready soon, so i will soon be in contact with kitmakers who put up their hands....but i will only be accepting high quality work, so please only put up your hand if your'e really good and experienced with kitmaking ;)

cheers all,

LM

excellent work ! :) cant wait to see the new video :D

Propmanoz

Club Cricketer
Yes indeed, great work LM, it is really coming along well now. Personally, I think that the 2d running camera looks better at times than a 3d overlay, but there you go.

On the previous BLIC/RPIC issue, my real beef, apart from it being too arcadey, was the absence of being able to see replays of any and every ball. If I beat the bat with a bowler, I want to be able to see a replay, and see how close etc. Im sure this wont be the case with TCP, but that was really annoying.

One question with the running between wickets, will it be possible that the non-striker will not run, and cause a mixup, even if you command him to? Or is this not possible? That would I'm sure be difficult to implement realistically.

legend_master

Propmanoz said:
Yes indeed, great work LM, it is really coming along well now. Personally, I think that the 2d running camera looks better at times than a 3d overlay, but there you go.

On the previous BLIC/RPIC issue, my real beef, apart from it being too arcadey, was the absence of being able to see replays of any and every ball. If I beat the bat with a bowler, I want to be able to see a replay, and see how close etc. Im sure this wont be the case with TCP, but that was really annoying.

One question with the running between wickets, will it be possible that the non-striker will not run, and cause a mixup, even if you command him to? Or is this not possible? That would I'm sure be difficult to implement realistically.

Yeah, lackof replays in BLIC really sux...i dont know why they did that cos they had them in all previous versions...???

regarding running...yes, it will be possible if the nonstriker is cpu controlled, cos it will make a judgement call based on various stats...this will need to be thoroughly tested tho cos it could get really annoying if it happened too often. If the batsman is player-controlled tho it wont happen..cos that would be too annoying if it didn't do what you wanted it to do..e.g.you push the run button but he doesn't run...!!

LM

Brett_Lee

International Coach
Great work LM and with alot of the help your getting from Jk and everyone else this is going to be one hell of a game!

sparky

School Cricketer
Great work LM. Glad to things going according to plan.

Couple of thoughts on running - is it possible (and this would only apply to CPU batsmen I spose) that when the batsman hits a four (that is, its definitely going to the boundary) they set off for a run but then jog to a stop once they realise its going all the way - or even they don't bother running at all if its clearly going all the way to the boundary? Its not a big deal and will be difficult to implement with the fielding I suspect but just a thought.

And also - and this probably more work than its worth - what about the jogged single when its clear there's no chance of a run out but no chance of two... like I say, just one of those nice to have details but its no big deal.

Don't see any problem with the 2-D in screen view of the batsmen - as long as you can see where they are, that's all that matters!

Poor old Inzi - will forever be labelled as the worst runner in the history of the game. Probably a good thing otherwise no one would ever get him out!

embi

International Coach
I know its been said a million times before, but this looks amazing. Already looks like it will beat BLIC and EA. Most promising game of 2006 for me :clap

legend_master

sparky said:
Great work LM. Glad to things going according to plan.

Couple of thoughts on running - is it possible (and this would only apply to CPU batsmen I spose) that when the batsman hits a four (that is, its definitely going to the boundary) they set off for a run but then jog to a stop once they realise its going all the way - or even they don't bother running at all if its clearly going all the way to the boundary? Its not a big deal and will be difficult to implement with the fielding I suspect but just a thought.

And also - and this probably more work than its worth - what about the jogged single when its clear there's no chance of a run out but no chance of two... like I say, just one of those nice to have details but its no big deal.

Don't see any problem with the 2-D in screen view of the batsmen - as long as you can see where they are, that's all that matters!

Poor old Inzi - will forever be labelled as the worst runner in the history of the game. Probably a good thing otherwise no one would ever get him out!

wrt the hitting a 4 and slowing down when obvious it's a 4 - it's something i have thought about and really do want to have, but i wont really know how possible it is until i get to do the fielding...i agree it's a really nice feature...i think it will be possible though, i have a few ideas of how i could do it...now, to do this on an obvious single might be a little bit harder, cos it's hard to know if the batsmen would have liked to take 2 or not...ill have to think more about this...maybe if ball is not near a fielder at a certain stage of the run and they haven't pushed the runagain button then they can slow down to a casual jog...something like that may work.

Madman said:
Hi LM,

i really am following this Project and cannot wait for the end product...
one thing i am worried about is that if EA, Codemasters or another big company offer you Millions of pounds (dollars) you might get get lured into their offer and sell the game to them and they will rip us off by selling it at ?40 and i dont want this to happen, can you guarentee me that you wont do this or work for them as a programmer or is that what you planned to do or what, can you please tell me

hehe...for starters i dont think that would happen anyways...lol...

well, i'm not in it for the money, but i couldn't flat out tell you that i would refuse millions of pounds, cos i am only human after all ;)..but that would never happen....and the only way i'd ever consider working for one of them is if i had full creative control over the project, which would never happen either, so i think it's safe to say TCP is going to stay in it's current form of ownership and development ;) It is very important to me that TCP remains an underground product for the true fans and retains it's integrity.

LM.

Users who are viewing this thread