Tennis Thread

Federer does it in straight sets, Murray looked alright in parts but the class of Federer shone through.

Murray let Federer dominate. Instead of taking the lead and attacking like against Nadal he rarely moved forward and rarely played a passing shot, even on his backhand. If Murray had done these things he would have made it a far closer game, because although Federer was good, Murrays hesitancy played a massive part in that.

It was nice to see Murray show some emotion at the end. Iv'e never doubted he cared about tennis a great deal and what winning a grand slam means to him but this should shut up any doubters who say hes boring and emotionless.

We're going to get a whole load of crap now from people who didn't watch out about how Murray choked and will never win anything; just like Henman.
Really annoys me because I don't think anyone could have beaten Federer playing like that. Murray will definitely win a slam - I just think the amount of pressure put on him is massively OTT.

i think he choked a bit to be honest. in the third, to hand the break when he was serving for the set was a bit poor.

just hope he learns from this, and I hope it's the final lesson he needs. should see him make another final this year though, he's definitely the second best player on the faster courts. Djoko's gone, Delp is inconsistent (I know he was carrying an injury), nadal doesn't look like he can recapture his old form. Murray has a good 12-18 months of being one of the favourites for the hard/grass slams.

Federer was just playing with him. Some of those points he deliberately lost. I think he's just bored and wants a challenge.

We're going to get a whole load of crap now from people who didn't watch out about how Murray choked and will never win anything; just like Henman.
Really annoys me because I don't think anyone could have beaten Federer playing like that. Murray will definitely win a slam - I just think the amount of pressure put on him is massively OTT.

I think Murray could have beaten him at his best. It was a match where, although Federer was outstanding, had Murray gotten a break on a big point, could have been a different story. Of course though, if and buts, mean nothing.

As for the pressure - it's ridiculous. We can't produce two quality tennis players at the same time, so all British hope is on Murray. At least in football or rugby theres a large squad bearing the brunt of the pressure. You can understand why Murray is more relaxed playing outside Britain. We all would be.

A mate has the view that scottish people didn't take an interest in Henman whilst he was playing so why should he in Murray. I disagree with this statement entirely. Both being British and can't see why this would be the case. You can be both proud to be english, scottish etc and British at the same time. If Murray just represented Scotland I'd still support him.

Was just wondering if any of you guys have heard similar views from friends or family and how widely shared a view this is?

He choked on a few set points, especially that backhand volley down the line that fell wide. If he had played with the same intensity than in the tiebreaker, he definitely would have taken the match to 4 or 5 sets. Unfortunately nerves got the better of him.

I don't think Murray cares if a few English with chips on their shoulders don't support him but the anti-Henman Scottish thing is a myth.

I think regarding the whole issue of british support for Murray, he keeps it at arms length. In some ways the furore was maybe good for him, just as members of the public were stung by his joke a bit, I think he was stung by how over the top and nasty the reaction was. I don't think he really trusts the british media, and he definitely doesn't feel he owes them anything.

Federer was pretty incredible, looks like he's back to his (almost) best.

One of my friends was ball girl for the final. She won't shut up about it :noway

Going to the Davis Cup on Saturday. Australia v Chinese Taipei, bring it on!

BBC Sport - Tennis - Great Britain suffer humiliating Davis Cup defeat

Why do we even bother entering this? Same as Eurovision song contest. A waste of money (for us).

Another thing of ?40 million a year given to our "elite" tennis players. It doesn't matter how much you give people if they don't have the talent. You can't buy talent. It's like polishing a turd. Pointless.

Stop bloody throwing money at these crap players. Put the money saved on not funding these players into kids and sort out the next generation.

Users who are viewing this thread