The 10 Greatest Test Batsmen of all time

Well Robin, the stat column at Cricinfo did some comprehensive number crunching recently and came up with this top 10:

1. Sir Donald Bradman
2. Brian Lara
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Sir Jack Hobbs
6. Sir Garfield Sobers
7. Sir Leonard Hutton
8. Sunil Gavaskar
9. George Headley
10. Rahul Dravid
Source: Cricinfo - Blogs - It Figures - The great Test batsmen - a look across 132 years

That to me looks pretty close.

But a top 10 greatest without Gavaskar, Chappel, Dravid and Steve Waugh is not only laughable but absurd and illogical so far as I am concerned.

Hmmm, you include Pietersen (Inzy and Martin Crowe too???), yet accuse others top 10 of being laughable. Hey if you leave Bradman out, THAT is laughable. Probably Lara and Tendulkar too, but just because YOU think Gavaskar, Chappell, Dravid and Tugga are locks for the top 10 doesn't mean we all have to agree.

Last edited:
Kevin Pietersen? Seriously?

I wouldn't have Sachin that high personally. I've always thought Dravid is a better test batsman than him. Obviously the Sachin lunatics like max dillon get mad if I put Sachin second on any list or second to anyone except Don Bradman, but I stand by my opinion.

sachin is the gr8est ever sir don bradman himself recomends the lil master
u me and other's cant deny that !!!!!!!!!! so respect is everything for these masters they r all gr8 lara &sachin best amongs them so all we can do is debet :) cheers

This is my Top ten:
1.Bradman
2.Hobbs
3.Headly
4.Tendulkar
5.Lara
6.Sobers
7.Gavaskar
8.Richards
9.Border
10.Warner...............

LOL,Just joking!:p
10.Sutcliffe

My top 10.

1. Donald Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. George Headley
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Brian Charles Lara
6. Garfield Sobers
7. Vivian Richards
8. Herbert Sutcliffe
9. Leonard Hutton
10. Sunil Gavaskar

King Cricket added 2 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

1. Don Bradman

2. George Headley

3. Garfield Sobers

4. Herbert Sutcliffe

5. Wally Hammond

6. Sir Viv Richards

7. Sachin Tendulkar

8. Everton Weekes

9. Brian Lara

10. Ricky Ponting

Lara at no 9?! :eek: Below Weekes!! :eek: And Sachin at 7!! :eek: With all respect to Sobers, Sutcliffe, Weekes and Hammond- I think both Sachin and Lara are a better batsmen than them.

In defense of Kevin Peterson ? Objection Handling(LOL!)

Irrespective of what others say I consider without a shade of doubt that Kevin Peterson is a Batting genius and fully deserves a place amongst the 10 greatest batsmen of all time as analyzed below:

I saw Peterson via the highlights of 2005 England vs. Ashes series where he incidentally made his test debut.The way he dominated the best Bowling attack in the world convinced me the fact that this guy is genius stuff.

No wonder Shane Warne a Bowing genius said "I don't think he has an obvious flaw in his technique."

After a brilliant century against South Africa Times said "The most complete batsman in cricket?

He has the rare distinction of scoring the second highest run total after Bradman in a mere 25 tests.

He is also the fastest player to score 4000 runs in test in terms of days.

His priceless innings of 158 in England?s second innings in the final test against Australia in 2005 is worth its weight in old.

It is an innings that will long be remembered by English fans as it helped England to regain ashes after a while. His demolition of Australian bowlers with seven towering sixes is a record for an English player in an innings

Let?s Analyze His batting performance series by series.

Overall test career record:

Matches : 51 ( 4445 runs, 1, double century , 16 Centuries,14 fifties, Highest Score: 226 , Average 50.51)

He has played 15 test series so far of which he accounts for a batting average of 50 plus in 7 series.

In 4 of the 15 series he averages in (40 - 49) range.

In only 2 series he averages (30- 39) range.

In only one series he averages in (20 -25) range.

This confirms his batting consistency and domination of bowling attack against all oppositions.

His genius and quality of batting greatness is also proven by the fact that his average is best against top quality oppositions:

Series: 2005 England VS Australia

Matches: 5 (473 Runs, 1 Century, 3 Fifties, and Highest Score: 158, Average 52.56)

Series: 2006 England VS Sri Lanka

Matches: 3 (360 Runs, 2 Century, and Highest Score 158, Average:72)

Series: 2006 -2007 Australia VS Australia

Matches: 5 (490 Runs, 1 Century, 3 Fifties, and Highest Score: 158, Average 54.44)

Series: 2008 England VS South Africa

Matches: 5 (421 Runs, 2 Century, 1 Fifties, Highest Score: 152, Average 60.14)

So after all this proven performance I do not know what more Peterson needs to prove to find a place amongst the 10 Greatest Batsmen of all time.

As far as I am concerned I am fully convinced that he deserves a place amongst the 10 Greatest Batsman of all time.

I will deal with case of Martin Crowe and Inzamam tomorrow and that of Chappell, Steve Waugh on Friday.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Mate. I'm as big a Kevin Pietersen fan as anyone, but even I know that there is no way KP can be included in a Top 10 of All-time at the minute. He's not even the best in the world atm, in his last Test he wasn't even the best batsman on show. KP's got the potential to go on to become one of the greats, but at the minute he's not done enough to be considered. Maybe in 5 years that could change.

sachin is the gr8est ever sir don bradman himself recomends the lil master
u me and other's cant deny that !!!!!!!!!! So respect is everything for these masters they r all gr8 lara &sachin best amongs them so all we can do is debet :) cheers

text speak alert!!!!

But a top 10 greatest without Gavaskar, Chappel, Dravid and Steve Waugh is not only laughable but absurd and illogical so far as I am concerned.

Where will I fit Dravid and Waugh? You tell me. And Chappell?, LOL.

King Cricket added 2 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

As far as I am concerned I am fully convinced that he deserves a place amongst the 10 Greatest Batsman of all time.

Too early to say anything. I might well put him in my top 5 after 10 years from now, he's a terrific player, I've said this earlier- but right now, NO.

King Cricket added 2 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

So after all this proven performance I do not know what more Peterson

"Pietersen"

Good selection. Warner ... Wow!

This is my Top ten:
1.Bradman
2.Hobbs
3.Headly
4.Tendulkar
5.Lara
6.Sobers
7.Gavaskar
8.Richards
9.Border
10.Warner...............

LOL,Just joking!:p
10.Sutcliffe

My take:

You are perfect till 8.

Why would you put Border ahead of Chappell, Ponti,Waugh? Answer Optional.

I am glad you had a surprize inclusion Warner. That was a bold selection. What is your rationale of having Warner ... Just curious to know. Answer Optional.

Lara at no 9?! :eek: Below Weekes!! :eek: And Sachin at 7!! :eek: With all respect to Sobers, Sutcliffe, Weekes and Hammond- I think both Sachin and Lara are a better batsmen than them.

Well that's just his opinion I guess. Everyone thinks differently. For example, I could say the same about your list, it doesn't include Ponting which I think is mental. I rate him much higher than Lara, who you have placed at number 5.

There isn't any real list you can make that will please everyone.

Why would you put Border ahead of Chappell, Ponti,Waugh? Answer Optional.

Yeah, Border :eek:

King Cricket added 2 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

it doesn't include Ponting which I think is mental

No, it's not. Lara is a far better player than Punter. In my eyes Punter is the 11th best test batsman. But Punter better than Lara- :eek:

No, it's not. Lara is a far better player than Punter. In my eyes Punter is the 11th best test batsman. But Punter better than Lara- :eek:

Fair enough, but you have to give some backing behind the claim. You can't just use the :eek: smiley as proof. Tell me why you think Lara deserves to be number 5 ;)

Ponting's better statistically and in my eyes, is also the better batsman.

I included Border because he not only continually held a failing team together,and he had to face the WIndies quicks!

Welcome back King Cricket!

My top 10.

1. Donald Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. George Headley
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Brian Charles Lara
6. Garfield Sobers
7. Vivian Richards
8. Herbert Sutcliffe
9. Leonard Hutton
10. Sunil Gavaskar

King Cricket added 2 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Excellent selection barring noninclusion of an Australian.

No Australian - Chappell, Ponti, Waugh, Border? At least one of them deserve to be in the 10.

Cheers!

Fair enough, but you have to give some backing behind the claim. You can't just use the smiley as proof. Tell me why you think Lara deserves to be number

I will prove you. But not now, I'm feeling sleepy- I'll do it in the evening. Ta ta.

King Cricket added 0 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

No Australian - Chappell, Ponti, Waugh, Border? At least one of them deserve to be in the 10.

Where will I FIT them?

King Cricket added 0 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Excellent selection barring noninclusion of an Australian.

I didn't know Sir Don was a Dutch.

Users who are viewing this thread