Top 10 Test Batsmen

I'm pretty sure it's Viv ;)

I'm not massively knowledgable when it comes to the old greats, as i've onyl been really watching cricket 2-3 years. So therefore, from what i've seen this is my list:

Bradman
Lara
Tendulkar
V.Richards
S.Waugh
G.Sobers
Ponting
Allan Border
Sangakkara
Hussey

I've gone for mostly current players, as those are the players that i am most knowledgable about, legends such as Border, Richards, Bradman etc have to make the list though. Thats my list anyway.

yeah

Inzamam > Hussey.

Javed Miandad > Hussey.

1. Don Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Len Hutton
4. Brian Lara
5. Ken Barrington
6. Everton Weekes
7. Clyde Walcott
8. Ricky Ponting
9. Gary Sobers
10. Mohammad Yousuf

1. Don Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Len Hutton
4. Brian Lara
5. Ken Barrington
6. Everton Weekes
7. Clyde Walcott
8. Ricky Ponting
9. Gary Sobers
10. Mohammad Yousuf

No Tendulkar ?

Fisrt of all I would like to make it clear that I am not a big Tendulkar fan. But still the fact remains that he is the best batsmen of modern era. There will always be people who will be saying that Ponting is the best, but my reply will always be that Ponting is best in current date but had Bradman been playing now would anyone have said Ponting is best.

Tendulkar dominated the world batting in 90's. when he was in his prime he did not went for records (many have accused him of so). He played with freedom and dominated attacks without worrying about making 100's which he easily could have. For many years his highest score in ODI remained 78 (i think) till he scored first century against Aussies. With his talent the guy could have made 100s at will that time but he did not let personal milestones deter him in teams benefit. He single handedly carried the Indian batting in 90's and if he got out the TVs in India were switched off.

The guy has had such injuries (tennis elbow, back injury in 98) that has restricted that number of shots he can play. The spinners could not get him out even while bowling leg stump line as he had the paddle shot which he cannot play these days. Ponting on other hand has been injury free in his life (with odd fingure injuries).

The criteria for choosing the best batsmen would definately include Can the guy play spin, swing, fast bowling, short pitch stuff, does he dominate attacks. In any of the above you will not scores Sachin down anywhere.

Right I don't get it, everyones going to feel offended and start putting stupid smilies in at me etc etc but I have to get it off my chest.

What is so good about Don Bradman?

I hear he averaged near a 100 or something so did that mean he got a 100 everytime?

Code:
 Mat  	Inns  	NO  	Runs  	HS  	Ave  	100  	50  	6s  	Ct  	St
Tests 	52 	80 	10 	6996 	334 	99.94 	29 	13 	6 	32 	0
First-class 	234 	338 	43 	28067 	452* 	95.14 	117 	69 		131 	1

What a conversion rate.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/4188.html

He hit only 6 sixes in his career. ;)

They actually used very light bats. I believe one of the bats that Bradman used which is in the Bradman museum was only 2'4 or something incredibly light like that. It's been a modern trend for heavy bats.

They actually used very light bats. I believe one of the bats that Bradman used which is in the Bradman museum was only 2'4 or something incredibly light like that. It's been a modern trend for heavy bats.

They weighed 2'6 and were flat. Nowdays bats are double in thickness and still weigh same.

They weighed 2'6 and were flat. Nowdays bats are double in thickness and still weigh same.

Also bats today are deisgned so that the ball comes nicely onto the ball, therefore enhancing the blade, resulting in making the bats heavier...

1. Don Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Len Hutton
4. Brian Lara
5. Ken Barrington
6. Everton Weekes
7. Clyde Walcott
8. Ricky Ponting
9. Gary Sobers
10. Mohammad Yousuf

If Ricky Ponting and Mohammad Yousuf get in that 10, Tendulkar should be a shoe in.
Disagree with the modern people, tbh.

If Ricky Ponting and Mohammad Yousuf get in that 10, Tendulkar should be a shoe in.
Disagree with the modern people, tbh.
Why? You put Adam Gilchrist in your top 10 which is simply laughable because his a lower order slogger who wouldn't of made it into the Australian team if he wasn't a wicketkeeper and there have been many better batsman then him.

And to say Ponting hasn't been injury-prone during his career is absurd as he has been battling a back problem during the course of his career; hence why he never bowls anymore.

To say anyone bar Bradman should be a shoe-in over Ponting is ridiculous as he easily has the best average of anyone to play over 100 Test Matches.

Users who are viewing this thread