The 10 Greatest Test Batsmen of all time

Wonder everyone forgot Steve Waugh. Hes much better than anyone after your number 5's.

Welcom scion_sid!Steve Waugh is at #8 tied with Ponti in my 10 greatest batsman

Wonder everyone forgot Steve Waugh. Hes much better than anyone after your number 5's.

I have not forgotten Steve Waugh . Steve Waugh is too good a batsman to be left out.

He is very much there in my 10 greatest batsmen tied at #8 with Ponti.

Please check my first post.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

yes.but,i don't really find steve consistent and classy enough.but,don't get me wrong,he a fighter to the core and very very effective.so,he deserves to be in the list of top 100 but definitely not top 10 mate.

There have been many great batsmen over the years. From W.G Grace to Sachin Tendulkar, it seems that every generation throws another great into the mix. I have condensed it down to a list of the top ten, in my opinion.

10. W.G. Grace (ENG) - Playing in the 1800s, William Gilbert Grace was the first star of cricket, putting it on the map. His displays are stuff of legend, and, although his average seems worse than others, that may be because he played well into his fifties in a 44 year career. Immediately distinguishable by his bushy beard, he played in an era without the high tech bats and the protective gear in use today. He's the type of player we may never see again in the game.

9. Ricky Ponting (AUS) - The captain of the dominate force in world cricket, Ricky Ponting has been consistently putting in match winning performances for the Aussies, helping them to Ashes victories and a World Cup victory, and that's just on the Test scene.

8. Sunil Gavaskar (IND) - Gavaskar is one of the greatest opening batsmen in cricket history. Although he played during a time when the Indian team weren't hugely successful, especially when he was captain, he stood out as a great batter. Another one of the handful to have achieved over 10,000 Test runs.

7. Sir Jack Hobbs (ENG) - Jack Hobbs was often referred to as "The Master", and it's easy to see why. Widely regarded as the greatest opening batsmen of all time, he was voted as one of the five Wisden Cricketers of the Century. Playing in the early 1900s, Hobbs didn't get a huge amount of Test runs, but was still seen as a formidable force. His records in First Class cricket still remain, where he scored over 60,000 runs, and took 108 wickets, a phenomenal record.

6. Allan Border (AUS) - Former captain of the mighty Australia, Border still holds the record for amount of consecutive Test appearances (153). He, again held numerous World Records at the time of his retirement. One of which was the most Test runs ever, with 11,174, a record since passed by number two on this list.

5. Sir Garfield Sobers (WIN) - Widely regarded as the greatest all-rounder the game has ever seen, Sobers became the first ever player to hit six sixes in an over. Another one voted as one of the five Wisden Cricketers of the Century, it was easy to see why he was regarded so highly. His records of over 8,000 Test match runs as well as 235 Test match wickets, coupled with over 28,000 First Class runs and over 1,000 First Class wickets, show what a great all-rounder he was.

4. Sir Viv Richards (WIN) - Despite not really being classed as an all-rounder, Richards could deliver a ball as well as knocking it out of the park. The third man on this list so far to be named as one of the five Wisden Cricketers of the Century his swagger when at the crease has become legendary. Often chewing gum and opting to where a cap instead of a helmet, Richards seemed to banish some of the best bowlers of his generation without much effort.

3. Sachin Tendulkar (IND) - "The Little Master" has a claim to be up in at least second in this list, with many regarding him to be the best of all time. If this list was exclusively for ODI batsmen, he would probably be in number one. A true legend of the game already, Tendulkar is looked upon with almost god-like status in India.

2. Brian Lara (WIN) - Brian Lara is a personal favourite of mine, as is Sachin Tendulkar. His 501 not out for Warwickshire against Durham and his 400 not out for West Indies against England are stuff of legend, and remain unbeaten records and perhaps unbeatable records. His retirement game didn't do justice to his career, being run out on just 18, but throughout his career he wowed crowds around the world.

1. Sir Don Bradman (AUS) - Fitting that the greatest batsman of all time belongs to the greatest cricketing nation. "The Don" had a remarkable career and, like Lara, had a tragic end to it. With an unprecedented batting average of 99.94, had he just got a four in his last innings, he would have made it 100. Unfortunately he get bowled for a duck, a terrible end to the greatest career. To put that batting average in perspective, second place on this list Brian Lara's Test match average was 52.88. The fourth member of this list to be included in the top five of Wisden Cricketers of the Century.

not surprisingly and sadly,no NZ batsman can make it to the top 25 greatest batsmen of all time.it really bothers me a lot.its time to revolutionalise the domestic structure i guess.

What happened to our Eighth Wonder King Annoyingdevil!

Looks more like a Molla Nasiruddin....:p

Where are you King Annoyingdevil? We all miss you and your Bouncers.

You have ventured into ' Variety is the spice of life ' with unbelievable varieties to make the thread hilarious. By virtue of that you have acquired a star status.

But you have the potential to be a superstar by proving everybody wrong with a Stunner(Appropriate selection) and get the Man of The Match Award which is still wide open.

Umpires King Cricket and King Peterson are already there and Third Umpire Sifter132 is ready as well.

Please change your Invisible man status to Batman (One who can go whenever and whereever he wants) status

Everything said is meant for fun sake and no offense intended.

We all have our fingers Crossed.

Cheers!

Last edited:
1.Donald Bradman
2.Viv Richards
3.Jack Hobbs
4.Brian Lara
5.Len Hutton
6.Garry Sobers
7.Sunil Gavaskar
8.Greg Chappell
9.Sachin Tendulkar
10.George Headley

Last edited:
Their has been many great batsmen that have played test cricket in both past and present era.

But some of them stands out and are legendary.

As One day cricket was not played very long back it would be unfair to make an assessment based on both One day and Test.So to maintain fairness this assessment is based purely on Tests.

Here is my choice of 10 Greatest batsmen of past and present.

1. Sir Donald Bradman

2. Sachin Tendulkar & Brian Lara

3. Sir Gary Sobers & Sir Vivian Richards

4. George Headley

5. Sunil Gavaskar & Rahul Dravid(N)

6. Sir Jack Hobbs

7. Greg Chappell

8. Steve Waugh & Ricky Ponting

9. Kevin Peterson & Inzamamul Haq(Add On)

10. Martin Crowe

What are Reader’s choice?

I look forward to a spontaneous response.

Good Luck and Cheers!
OMG, what a joke!

I had to double check myself that I was indeed reading a first post on test best X.

:dies:

My best test XI would be

Sir Don
Tendulkar
Hobbs
Headley
Hutton
Lara
Chappell
Richards
Weekes
Sobers

in no particular order

OMG, what a joke!

I had to double check myself that I was indeed reading a first post on test best X.

:dies:

My best test XI would be

Sir Don
Tendulkar
Hobbs
Headley
Hutton
Lara
Chappell
Richards
Weekes
Sobers

in no particular order

Dude, Dravid can make a claim for one of the top 10 test batsman. It's purely subjective when it comes to determining the top batsmen in the history of the game considering how many players there have been. How can you claim any past cricketers are better unless you've seen them? There's no way to quantify who is better. I for one, think Dravid is better than Sachin in Tests. Maybe Inzamam is a stretch, but certainly not Dravid.

Dude, Dravid can make a claim for one of the top 10 test batsman. It's purely subjective when it comes to determining the top batsmen in the history of the game considering how many players there have been. How can you claim any past cricketers are better unless you've seen them? There's no way to quantify who is better. I for one, think Dravid is better than Sachin in Tests. Maybe Inzamam is a stretch, but certainly not Dravid.
1. Instead of giving such statements like Dravid > sachin or Dravid is a an alltime top 10 batsman, you can atleast provide some basis for stating so. Ie, why you would prefer Dravid over any of the 10 I mentioned in my post.

2. It is of course subjective, but the when the subjectivity is supported by valid arguments, it becomes the truth.

1. Instead of giving such statements like Dravid > sachin or Dravid is a an alltime top 10 batsman, you can atleast provide some basis for stating so. Ie, why you would prefer Dravid over any of the 10 I mentioned in my post.

2. It is of course subjective, but the when the subjectivity is supported by valid arguments, it becomes the truth.

Stats don't prove everything. Somethings are purely sight related. Dravid has been the rock of the Indian team and was the most reliable batsman in the team before his slump. He bailed us out of so many situations and also set up victories. A few examples would be Rawalpindi, Adelaide and the West Indies tour. Also, why are you trying to act like some sort of teacher, guiding me in the "correct" direction. I don't need any help in forming an opinion. Plus, I don't have that sort of time to provide stats, etc. It's not my fault Indian fans are so blinded by Tendulkar that they can't acknowledge that Dravid is at the very least on par with him. Also, subjectivity is the absence of definitive proof as the truth in itself is subjective. I don't mind you not having Dravid in your top 10, it's the fact that you are laughing at the very possibility of him being included in anyone's top 10. Also, subjectivity is the absence of a universal truth as the truth in itself is subjective.

Last edited:
The 10 GREATEST TEST Batsmen IMO ---

1. BRIAN CHARLES LARA
2. DON BRADMAN
3. GARY SOBERS
4. RICKY PONTING
5. STEVE WAUGH
6. VIV RICHARDS
7. RAHUL DRAVID
8. SACHIN TENDULKAR
9. SUNIL GAVASKAR
10. INZAMAM UL HAQ