3. GARY SOBERS
4. RICKY PONTING
5. STEVE WAUGH
6. VIV RICHARDS
7. RAHUL DRAVID
8. SACHIN TENDULKAR
9. SUNIL GAVASKAR
10. INZAMAM UL HAQ

Welcome Mate!That's a good selection. Having said that I also want to mention here that A 10 Greatest batsman Selection of all time is incomplete without Sir Jack Hobbs and George Headley.

So I strongly suggest you do a Research on the Internet on these two guys .They are genuises - both them. Then decide how you are going to accomodate them whether by replacing or having them tied (permitted) with existing one(s).

Thanks for your inputs and cheers!

Best Batsman of Alltime
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Vivian Richards
Ricky Ponting
Walter Hammond
Graeme Pollock
George Headley
Sir Garfield Sobers

Best Batsman I've seen
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Matthew Hayden
Rahul Dravid
Steve Waugh
Jacques Kallis
Kevin Pietersen

The 10 GREATEST TEST Batsmen IMO ---

1. BRIAN CHARLES LARA
2. DON BRADMAN
3. GARY SOBERS
4. RICKY PONTING
5. STEVE WAUGH
6. VIV RICHARDS
7. RAHUL DRAVID
8. SACHIN TENDULKAR
9. SUNIL GAVASKAR
10. INZAMAM UL HAQ
Lol @ Lara above The Don.

You are overrating Greg. He is nowhere in the top 10. And Dravid >> Greg.
Give me a very good reason for why Chappell is worse than Dravid?

He was ████ as a coach. But don't forget he is extremely underrated as a batsman.

Precambrian added 1 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Best Batsman of Alltime
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Vivian Richards
Ricky Ponting
Walter Hammond
Graeme Pollock
George Headley
Sir Garfield Sobers

Best Batsman I've seen
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Matthew Hayden
Rahul Dravid
Steve Waugh
Jacques Kallis
Kevin Pietersen
After a ban, a sobered Ben is back. :eek: at the absence of Hayden in all time list!

None can take the position of Sir Donald Bradman

Lol @ Lara above The Don.

Obviously he did not arrange in sequence. Even if he did it will default to Sir Donald Bradman because the dfference with the second place is miles apart.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shoaib brother --- so if any greatest list is made WE HAV TO hav bradman at 1....if not its crap???....cant we hav different opinions??....and how much hav we seen bradman bat??....iam more or less rating him number 2 just coz of his records....but for me WHEN LARA WAS ON SONG it was POETRY IN MOTION and i cant and i wont beleive even bradman could match him:).....my opinion:)....and i dont make opinions to follow others:)...hope u dont mind my words brother

1. Sachin Tendulkar (opening yes . . .)
2. Graeme Smith (most controversial)
3. Viv Richards
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Steve Waugh
6. Brian Lara
7. Adam Gilchrist (w)
8. Shane Warne
9. Curtly Ambrose
10. Waqar Younis
11. Glen McGrath

3. Viv Richards
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Steve Waugh
6. Brian Lara
7. Adam Gilchrist (w)
8. Shane Warne
9. Curtly Ambrose
10. Waqar Younis
11. Glen McGrath

The most controversial isn't that Smith is in there, it's that you've got 11 players in the top 10 and that you've got bowlers in the top 10 batsmen list.

10 Greatest Test Batsmen of all time?

3. Viv Richards
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Steve Waugh
6. Brian Lara
7. Adam Gilchrist (w)
8. Shane Warne
9. Curtly Ambrose
10. Waqar Younis
11. Glen McGrath

It appears you got mixed up with 10 greatest Batsmen with the greatest Eleven with 6 batsmen, 1 wicket keeper batsman and 4 bowlers.

A you can see on the thread topic we are assessing 10 Greatest batsmen of all time. So you need to replace # 7 to #11 with batsmen you think is appropriate to be amongst the 10 Greatest. Having said, don't feel discouraged as once we have covered all aspects: Batting, Bowling, Wicketkeeping, Fielding, Allrounders, Captains we will eventually have a thread where you will have an opportunity to present the Greatest Test Eleven of all time. But that is not going to happen at least a month from now.

Hope this helps.

Give me a very good reason for why Chappell is worse than Dravid?

Good Q. As an Aussie that's watched cricket since 1972 GS Chappell is the best Aussie batsman I've seen. He had no weakness outside off stump which is very rare and seemed to have a huge amount of time to play his shots. The other thing that stood out was that he needed almost no time to get his eye in and an early play and miss was very rare. He developed a slight weakness against the short ball late in his career when he decided to put the hook shot away - after a string of dismissals, but aside from that he played genuine pace better than any batsman I've seem - with the posible exception of Inzamam who IMO was on par. It should be remembered that Chappell's average was higher than any other batsman during his era and is impressive by today's standards despite the fact that wickets were far more bowler friendly back then.

The top 10 I've seen since 1972:

1. Sachin
2. Lara
3. GS Chappell
4. IVA Richards
5. Gavaskar
6. Ponting
7. Border
8. M Crowe
9. Boycott
10.Gower

pietersen does indeed have a great record going by statistics, but not one of the best 10 ever.

and I could reel of a list of players that have better ones you haven't included. ones playing right now even like moyo, sangakkara and kallis.

Not sure of all time, but absolute best i've seen -

Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Waugh
Rahul Dravid
Ricky Ponting
Kumar Sangakkara
Jaques Kallis

Best batsman I have seen:
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Adam Gilchrist
Rahul Dravid
Kevin Pietersen

Sir Don Bradman
Brian Lara
Sir Viv Richards
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Steve Waugh
Greg Chappell
Adam Gilchrist
Sunil Gavaskar

Their has been many great batsmen that have played test cricket in both past and present era.

But some of them stands out and are legendary.

As One day cricket was not played very long back it would be unfair to make an assessment based on both One day and Test.So to maintain fairness this assessment is based purely on Tests.

Here is my choice of 10 Greatest batsmen of past and present.

1. Sir Donald Bradman

2. Sachin Tendulkar & Brian Lara

3. Sir Gary Sobers & Sir Vivian Richards

4. George Headley

5. Sunil Gavaskar & Rahul Dravid(N)

6. Sir Jack Hobbs

7. Greg Chappell

8. Steve Waugh & Ricky Ponting

9. Kevin Peterson & Inzamamul Haq(Add On)

10. Martin Crowe

What are Reader?s choice?

I look forward to a spontaneous response.

Good Luck and Cheers!

I would not place Dravid ,Inzy,ponting, in that list .
It is too early for pietersen .Would want to wait for some more years to put him in that list. In my list Sachin would come a strong second . Sobers would be much lower , Infact he may not be in my list at all.

sanpen added 8 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

So a guy averaging 78.16 in 49 test matches in his country's wins isn't worthy to be in the top 10 WHEN compared to somebody who is in the top 10 *cough Sachin*

Yet, we have a guy who manages 65.17 (which is not bad at all) in his country's wins called the "God of Cricket in India"

Case closed? Sachin Tendulkar will always make it to the top ODI players list, probably always the first name on the list. But test cricket only, as this thread states? It's more than debatable.

Sachin likes to choke, not as reliable as an Inzamam, or a Crowe.

Has the game of cricket come to only statistics, where the highest batting average = better batsman? Raw statistics do not favor Inzamam, but you make him look worse than what he really is.

Inzamam at his best was able to easily manuever and play with the tail enders, something Sachin hasn't really done / had to do as often. The only issue I will have with Inzamam's career is his fitness; had he kept his fitness up, dare I say he could have easily passed 10,000 runs in test cricket easily.

Let's look at pressure again, shall we? India vs Pakistan is as good as it gets for India (although prehaps in recent time Indians will have something else to say about that - Australia).

Honestly, if you have a player in your team, who win he scores a 100, there is a 68% chance of the team winning, you have one of the best players to have played the game in your team.

Anyway, the last time I bashed Sachin all the Indians threw a huge fit and started a campaign to get me banned. Don't wanna see that insecurity come back up again, do we?

Choke ? When ? How many times ? Do you expect him to contribute a hundred every time he goes out to bat ?

Users who are viewing this thread