Story The Ashes. England Tour Australia (Massive Problem, with computer)

Who will win The Ashes (Reps for correct answer)

• Total voters
fanball_logo.jpg
England have Massive Batting Collapse

So England resumed the session looking to be in a very strong position with both Pietersen and Bell nearing their half centuries. The Australian bowling attack was looking very ragged and needed to mkae a breakthrough. It was not happening however as Ian Bell, quickly notched up his half-century in a very nice innings.

_41942020_bellcentury416.jpg

Pietersen who had been batting very slowly to begin with tried to accelerate, with some big shots. He did begin to ride his luck when he edged one but Gilchrist dropped it. It was a difficult catch especially as it was quite a big edge. Had Australia handed Pietersen a life-line? Would he go on and make another century?

Cricket20052007-11-2320-44-04-98.jpg

The answer to that question was NO. Instead of learning his lesson, Pietersen tried another big shot atempting to slog sweep for a six. He did not time it however and it looped up in the air and was taken by Hodge ten yards from the boundary. Warne had got his man. Pietersen was furious to have gotten out at such a point in his innings with only two more runs needed for his half-century. On heading back to the pavillion his frustration was obvious.

Cricket20052007-11-2417-32-06-68.jpg

England began to fall away quickly now with the dismissal of Pietersen. Ian Bell looked very unsettled for a while after seeing one of his best mates get out and eventually perished to Warne attempting to sweep him. A bit of extra bounce deceived him and was clean bowled. It was a very good knock by Bell but England had lost two wickets very quickly and the Australian bowlers were gaining a lot more confidence now.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-08-52-81.jpg

Paul Collingwood had a nasty scare early on in his innings when he nicked one, of Warne. Gilchrist made a very good effort but even his amazing reflexes were not enough to stop that edge. Collingwood had escaped. Would he now use his lifeline?

Cricket20052007-11-2513-16-12-81.jpg

Once again the answer to that was a definite NO. Hodge who had been bowling very well in this series, put a very wide one down to Collingwood. He attempted to play it down to third man using the pace of the ball, however the uneven bounce of the pitch tricked him as it bounced higher than expected and he edged it to Hussey at slip who did not have to do much work to take the catch. England were in big trouble now at 143/5 and they needed to stop the collapse.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-18-26-15.jpg

However things went from very bad to terrible for england. Phil Mustard who had still yet to make a big score perished first ball to Hodge. Attempting to cover drive Hodge all Mustard ended up doing was loft straight to the fielder there and so he had the embarissing walk back to the pavillion with a Golden Duck next to his name.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-19-32-37.jpg

This now meant that Hodge, the part timer was on a hat-trick :eek: The Australian fans were really firing up the players now, and Ponting put a very agressive field around the new batsman, Mascarenhas. So far Dimitry had performed well for England, but they were now in big trouble and needed a special innings from him.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-18-58-78.jpg

With five players being around the bat, and the jeers ringing in Mascarenhas's ears from the crowd, Hodge got ready to bowl. It was pretty straight and spun quite a bit into Mascarenhas. However a straight bat on the back foot meant that it did not get through his rock solid defence and Dimitry was safe, for now

Cricket20052007-11-2513-20-04-76.jpg

However Mascarenhas proved to be another let down as Shane Warne picked up another wicket when Mascarenhas edged him behind. Gilchrist proved why he is the best keeper in the world when he took a stunning catch to his weaker right side. Ponting and his men were jubilant now as england were in major trouble with the tail exposed and they were now 158/7. Could the tail get some much needed runs.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-25-58-42.jpg

Well those runs were not going to come from Hoggard who got run out on one attempting to give Flintoff the strike. An easy decision for the umpire, and another England batsman was heading back to the changing room.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-29-34-45.jpg

Flintoff realised now he was going to quickly run out of partners. He bagn to start slogging all over the place, in testimony to how he batted in the Ashes in 2005. He did begin to move the score along now, however he could not keep going forever. There were some big shots from him though.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-33-56-79.jpg

Eventually it was one shot to many and he holed out to Hayden at deep Square Leg with Hodge getting another wicket. He had got some much needed runs for England though, and so did receive warm applause from the Barmy Army.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-35-14-73.jpg

The last wicket to fall was that of Anderson when he was clean bowled by Kasprowicz for a duck.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-36-05-68.jpg

So after Australia had psoted such a poor score, it had given England a massive chance to take advantage and post an unassailable lead. However a lead of 299 runs was not enough considering that there was so much time left in the match. Bell top scored with 55 and apart from contributions from Pietersen and Flinoff the rest of the batting lineup was a bit of a flop.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-36-25-68.jpg

Spin was once again the key for Australia with it picking up seven wickets. Kasprowicz picked up the other two plus the runout and altogether it was a good display from the Australian bowlers.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-36-38-87.jpg

Bell did have a very nice knock. with a lot of his runs behind square on the offside, but also a few down the ground on the leg-side. However he should have made a bigger score considering he had got his eye in.

Cricket20052007-11-2513-36-50-23.jpg

So at Lunch on Day 3 Australia need 299 runs to win. Although no one has come near that total in this match, if they bat sensibly and slowly they should easily make it

Cricket20052007-11-2513-37-54-12.jpg

fanball_logo.jpg

Cricketer's Corner (with David Lloyd)

56154.jpg
I must say I was very disappointed with that session of batting by England. They had themselves in a very strong position and they really had a major collpase there. Pietersen should take the blame for starting that as he should know better then to try shots like he did towards the end of his innings. I still think England have a chance though if they bowl a good line and length and this pitch has shown many surprises. It is not over yet England fans.

Sky Sports Prediction Contest

Congratulations to Tonka, King Cricket and Suren for winning the competition. Reps coming your way. Now the new competition.

Who will win this match?

a) England
b) Australia
c) Draw

Good luck!!!!!! :happy

Once again, thank you to everyone who posts comments. It is you guys who keep me going.

awful batting collapse by England there glad to here your getting photoshop it will make your story better i think ill say a) England. your story is very impressive

Oh dear! Terrible batting from the English there! Nice presentation though! :)

I reckon England will still win though! :)

Not a good collapse by England, they have given Australia a huge invite into this game. Bell played a nice innings he needed to go on with it!

good bowling from Australia but Australia needs to take their chances with the catches.
great story keep it up :) im saying England will take this one.

I think Austraila will win

Nice bowling by Australia to clean England up for 179. It is going to be tough for Australia to win this one but I reckon they can.

I was shocked to see B.Hodge on a hat trick. Poor batting by England, now i think Aussies have a chance to win this match but Monty can do some damage so i predict that England will win this match. Nice presentation.

your stopry is getting up to scratch with gamer and suren
KUTGW awesome stuff TOM love it

your story is getting up to scratch with gamer and suren

That is my aim, thanks :happy

fanball_logo.jpg
England make positive start against Aussie Openers

So Australia needed only 299 runs to win, the match with 2 days remaining. If England were going to win this match they would have to get early wickets as a draw was looking very unlikely. Who would the match go to?

It looked like it might go England's way when Michael Hussey made yet another low score when he edged Anderson behind to Mustard. Hussey so far has had an appaling series and will be looking for much needed runs in the Third Test. This was exactly the start England had wanted with Australia at 5/1 and Ponting in early facing the new ball.

Cricket20052007-11-2514-02-39-00.jpg

Things began to get even better for England when Ponting perished for just 1 when he attempted to pull Flintoff he top edged it slightly straight to Flintoff. Ponting is another batsman who has not been making runs and will surely need a good knock soon. With this batsman gone England had a massive advantage.

Cricket20052007-11-2515-05-42-23.jpg

Then to make things worse, Matthew Hayden, Australia's rock was then dismissed by Anderson who has had a very good Tour so far. Anderson put down the slower ball which Hayden did not pick up. He tried to cover drive him but spooned it to Hoggard and cover. Australia were now 10/3 and a repeat of the First Innings was looking likely, with the new ball causing lots of damage.

Cricket20052007-11-2517-20-19-67.jpg

So Australia had two new batsmen. Michael Clarke and Brad Hodge. Hodge has easily been the best batsman so far in this Series out of both teams and Clarke has lots of potential. If these two could just play themselves in, there was a chance things could be savalged for Australia. They started of by giving the good balls a dead bat and even leaving the bad ones. However as their confidence began to grow, they started to play some more explosive shots which the English fielders were struggling to contain. The partnership began to grow.

Cricket20052007-11-2717-28-38-75.jpg

The pair made it to Tea. Clarke on 33* and Hodge on 17* with the the 50 partnership almost up. It had been a good batting performance by these two under a lot of pressure and in the constantly shifting Australian team hopefully a big innings from both batsmen would cement their place. Once again the top 3 were a let down and really need to score some runs in the next match.

Cricket20052007-11-2717-45-00-59.jpg

Once again an excellent new ball performance by James Anderson picking up 3 wickets. He was also backed up well by Hoggard, Flintoff and Mascarenhas who all bowled good tight lines. Monty was getting quite a bit of bounce with the ball and had a few close calls plus an LBW shout against Hodge controversily turned down by Billy Bowden.

Cricket20052007-11-2717-45-25-59.jpg

So at Tea on Day 3 Australia were needing 240 runs to win but had lost 3 crucial wickets. The match is evenly poised now and a wicket could be the key to open the floodgates. Of course if these two can add another 100 runs or so this match will be Australia's. It is too close to call.

Cricket20052007-11-2717-45-34-43.jpg

fanball_logo.jpg

Cricketer's Corner (with Brian Lara :happy)

Brian_Lara.jpg
Well as a neutral party here I have found this match to be very exciting. The England bowlers did especially well with the new ball especially James Anderson picking up those 3 wickets of World Class batsmen. I however thing that Panesar is the key to England in the final session. As the age of the ball increases he will undoubtedly get more spin out of it, and if he or any other bowlers, can get these two wickets, I would say this is England's match. If you had to pin me down and make me choose who I think will win, I would probably go for England. Australia having 3 wickets down after a session, puts too much doubt into my mind.

Sky Sports Prediction Contest

This is now closed. Good luck to all who entered.

Great bowling by Jimmy. Clarke and Hodge are batting really good here, they need to keep it up and make it to stumps.

Users who are viewing this thread