The Australian Football code battle AFL/NRL/Soccer

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If you just saw the Sharks/Dragons game you wouldnt say that

The best thing the NRL has is golden point, when its close in an AFL game the pressure doesnt build as much as in the NRL as it is more physical therefore more pressure

iloveireland

Panel of Selectors
Look I personally prefer AFL but its a personal choice but you have to remember the enviroment. Loads of people love AFL in Victoria which means lots of kids from Victoria love AFL and the trend continues. Yes there are minorities in each state that play AFL/rugby even though it is pretty much controled by the other but still.

NRL has a few more supporters even though I hate the sport personally. Who cares, if u think about it. The reason is 2 of the 3 most populated states love it. Who cares. The point is both codes are giant in Australia as Tennis and Cricket controls the summer. It isnt going to change, people are never going to agree which is better and the support of each sport will never change much drastically (talking millions) due to tradition as well as up-bringing.

Done.

AFL RULZ!! Carn KANGAS!! Rugby sux and youll never convince me otherwise. Soccer is better than Rugby too

Now onto the issue of Soccer. Soccer/Football will pop up here and there getting some support but all in all will never grow as big as AFL or NRL. For those soccer fans who think Aussies are going to change to soccer in drastic amounts are kidding themselves. Sorry aint going to happen. People might accept it/like it more but it will never ever be as watched as AFL or NRL in Australia. I hate watching soccer, its alright to play but watching it is terrible.

One last thing, watching and playing are different.

AFL>SOCCER>LAWN BOWLS>DARTS>DUNG THROWING>NRL

Last edited:

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
If you just saw the Sharks/Dragons game you wouldnt say that

The best thing the NRL has is golden point, when its close in an AFL game the pressure doesnt build as much as in the NRL as it is more physical therefore more pressure

lol!!

It's funny how rugby supporters always bring out the "tougher" card. Woopti-doo, if i wanna see crap smash into each other ill go watch a smash up derby. All the rugby players are built like brick sh!thouses with necks buldging out like a freaking camels hump. AFL has positions that rely on the arrtibutes of a player whether there big/strong or small/fast.

Another thing, i can sum up a rugby game in a sentence.

stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, kick the ball in the crowd. boring.

I guess its just what your brought up with i suppose, or if your into camels.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
I reckon Anthony Rocca or Jonathan Brown would roll any Rugby League player in a fight.

There is more pressure in AFL then Rugby League because skill is needed in the tightest of situations when in Rugby, it isn't.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Well thats not entirely true. Rugby requires for you to throw the ball accurately whilst evading your opposition on a 180 degree plane, and.... well thats it really.

Last edited:

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
I reckon Anthony Rocca or Jonathan Brown would roll any Rugby League player in a fight.

Nah. League requires more physical strength due to its nature; it's collision-retreat-collision-retreat broken up with a few kicks for 80 minutes. Blokes like Willie Mason or Steve Price would just be too strong for any AFL players.

Obviously there's Mundine too; an ex-league player who went on to win a boxing world title.

That's not to bag AFL players, it's just a different skill-set. League players don't have to leap 10 feet in the air to take 60 metre speccies so they aren't as agile as Aussie Rules players.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
But Aussie Rules players dont have to burst through 3-4 100kg men each play

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
People in Australia would much rather play & watch AFL because it is more fun & exciting though.

LOL thats a load of crap. Have you even watched much NRL or are you one of those people that just make a judgement about League without actually watching it properly?

Last edited:

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
But Aussie Rules players dont have to burst through 3-4 100kg men each play

Lol they don't have to, but they still do;) Also as for when there happens to be a thriller and rugby supposably being more exciting. AFL, is so much more fast pasted in the final minutes. I reckon AFL is a more entertaining sport and still will believe that if someone sat me down in front of the telly and told me to watch 20 rugby games in a whole week.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
lol!!

It's funny how rugby supporters always bring out the "tougher" card. Woopti-doo, if i wanna see crap smash into each other ill go watch a smash up derby. All the rugby players are built like brick sh!thouses with necks buldging out like a freaking camels hump. AFL has positions that rely on the arrtibutes of a player whether there big/strong or small/fast.

Another thing, i can sum up a rugby game in a sentence.

stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, kick the ball in the crowd. boring.

I guess its just what your brought up with i suppose, or if your into camels.

Ummm League has certain positions too which require kicking, passing, running, tackling skills etc.

And League isn't start stop start stop. When you get tackled you play the ball in like 2 seconds. NFL is start stop start stop.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Nah. League requires more physical strength due to its nature; it's collision-retreat-collision-retreat broken up with a few kicks for 80 minutes. Blokes like Willie Mason or Steve Price would just be too strong for any AFL players.

Obviously there's Mundine too; an ex-league player who went on to win a boxing world title.

That's not to bag AFL players, it's just a different skill-set. League players don't have to leap 10 feet in the air to take 60 metre speccies so they aren't as agile as Aussie Rules players.

People can jump 60 metres in the air to take a speccy? :eek:

Roofrom50

International Coach
And AFL doesn't get much pressure point, did anyone not see the Elimination Final between Adelaide and Hawthorn last year?? With about a minute to go, Crows were up by a few points, Scott Thompson had the ball on the back flank, and kicked the ball out on the full, because Hawthorn put great pressure on the ball carrier, and with 40+ thousand hawks fans screaming at him, it was too much pressure for Thompson.

More people handle the pressure well, like Franklin who did end up kicking the winning goal for the Hawks (btw i rue the day)

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
And AFL doesn't get much pressure point, did anyone not see the Elimination Final between Adelaide and Hawthorn last year?? With about a minute to go, Crows were up by a few points, Scott Thompson had the ball on the back flank, and kicked the ball out on the full, because Hawthorn put great pressure on the ball carrier, and with 40+ thousand hawks fans screaming at him, it was too much pressure for Thompson.

More people handle the pressure well, like Franklin who did end up kicking the winning goal for the Hawks (btw i rue the day)

Last night, right on fulltime sharks scored right on the sideline to make it 16-all, they had to convert from touch to win the most fierce derby in League. The Stgeorge fans were booing him, mocking him etc and the pressure was to much and he hooked it 10 metres wide.... he ended up kicking the winning goal from right in front in extra time though but thats besides the point.

There is immense pressure in both games, at least we should all be able to agree on that.

Last edited:

Roofrom50

International Coach
Last night, right on fulltime. Sharks vs Stgeorge 16 all after sharks had just scored at the sideline, they had the penalty to convert from touch. The stgeorge fans were booing him, mocking him etc and the pressure was to much and he hooked it 10 metres wide.... he ended up kicking the winning goal from right in front in extra time though but thats besides the point.

There is immense pressure in both games, at least we should all be able to agree on that.

of course, heck i get nervous before every footy match that i play, i couldn't imagine the pressure for the guys that play the big times

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
LOL thats a load of crap. Have you even watched much NRL or are you one of those people that just make a judgement about League without actually watching it properly?
You are a deadset fool if you think that is true.

You'll get more spectators at 1 AFL then you will in about 10 NRL games.

Clearly, Australians like AFL better.

Users who are viewing this thread