Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Australia-New Zealand

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Australia-South Africa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Africa-England

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i hope they will play at least one T20 after ICL and hope fully habla team will lose badly.

As far as cricketing rivalries go its gotta be the oldest of them all, the Ashes. Pretty much England's entire focus revolves around the Ashes, yes other series are important but it's the only one we really care about, its that one we really want to win. I'd guess the feeling is the same in Australia.

Obviously if you don't live in either Australia or England you will have your own favourite series, why should you care about how well England or Australia do, I don't care how Pakistan or India do for example. I'm not sure if 1 bad tempered series counts as a great cricketing rivalry though. Other rivalries have come and gone (Everyone wanted to beat the West Indies when I was a kid) but the Ashes rivalry has lasted as long as test cricket has been around.

There is of course one thing that is essential when describing a "Great Rivalry". Both sets of fans must feel the same, it's no good claiming a great rivalry when the other teams supporters don't really care too much.

Last edited:
is there even any point?

pakistan vs india?

gambino added 1 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

As far as cricketing rivalries go its gotta be the oldest of them all, the Ashes. Pretty much England's entire focus revolves around the Ashes, yes other series are important but it's the only one we really care about, its that one we really want to win. I'd guess the feeling is the same in Australia.

Obviously if you don't live in either Australia or England you will have your own favourite series, why should you care about how well England or Australia do, I don't care how Pakistan or India do for example. I'm not sure if 1 bad tempered series counts as a great cricketing rivalry though. Other rivalries have come and gone (Everyone wanted to beat the West Indies when I was a kid) but the Ashes rivalry has lasted as long as test cricket has been around.

There is of course one thing that is essential when describing a "Great Rivalry". Both sets of fans must feel the same, it's no good claiming a great rivalry when the other teams supporters don't really care too much.
im pretty sure the ashes arent the aussies top priority and it certainly hasnt been the case for the past 2 decades.
only since 2005 aussies given it priority and that too lasted only 1 year till they regained it.

From 1997

Matches Won
Australia 11 - India 5
Australia 22 - England 6

Kev's made a great point. You claim all you like that Australia-India are the biggest rivals but Australians have clearly stated that they care more about the Ashes

Kev's made a great point. You claim all you like that Australia-India are the biggest rivals but Australians have clearly stated that they care more about the Ashes
I think if you read carefully, anyone who spoke of Australia-India being bigger rivals meant it in the light of being more competitive, something that cannot really be argued.

Obviously that response wasn't directed at you or Saisrini then. But IMO, as in football, the biggest rivalries aren't purely sporting. If it were, the biggest cricket rivalries would revolve around Australia-SA-India-Sri Lanka

I think if you read carefully, anyone who spoke of Australia-India being bigger rivals meant it in the light of being more competitive, something that cannot really be argued.

Even though the 2005 Ashes series was one of the most competitive sporting competition ive ever seen?

It actually made a test match exciting, i just remember going to bed late at night and watching the game, hardly slept either since it was that good, and thats something coming from me since im not a test match fan.

The only bit of the India in Australia i really watched with interest was the latter part of the Sydney test. Which we rightfully won :) (opens up can of worms)

Last edited:
I think England vs. Australia and India vs. Australia might be equally exciting because Dhoni's and KP's captaincy might prove very challenging for the Aussies...

If Dhoni is given the Test captaincy, imo India will become stronger with his leadership and will be more capable of beating Aussies. As far as KP is concerned, all of know that he has played a major role in owning the Saffers at home. I just now want to see England playing more teams and it will tell us or give us an idea of how exciting will England vs. Australia be in the 2009 Ashes.

When India plays Australia, I know that there are a lot of chances that it will be an exciting contest between the two teams, with the result expected to go any way. When England plays Australia, I know that there are a lot of chances that Australia will destroy, steamroll and supress the opposition (apart from that rare series).

Thats the truth about the top two rivalries. When Australia and England play, less number of non Aussie and English supporters will follow the contest. When Australia and India play, more number of non Aussie and non Indian supporters will follow the contest. That, according to me, is the TRUE AND BIGGEST RIVALRY OF A SPORT! Not just because the two nations have a history. And I am not a fan of the India-Australia rivalry just because it benefits my team for being Australia's rival.

Saisrini has obviously ingnored the posts of the non-Indian members

I would say the Ashes actually has more neutral appeal than the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. The closeness of a series might not affect the enjoyment of a neutral viewer.....arguably, it's mostly partisan supporters who reap the benefits of a close match, because they have something to win/lose, and would therefore feel the excitement as a close finale approaches. Possibly.

Australia-India, though fiercely competitive, is a chest-thumping, nationalistic, humourless affair of sorts, whereas the Ashes, if I may put the blinkers on, have a rather quaint charm, a sense of humour, sportsmanship, and a timeless sentimental quality, a throwback to the way the game used to be played. Or maybe I'm just a naive purist.

When India plays Australia, I know that there are a lot of chances that it will be an exciting contest between the two teams, with the result expected to go any way. When England plays Australia, I know that there are a lot of chances that Australia will destroy, steamroll and supress the opposition (apart from that rare series).

Thats the truth about the top two rivalries. When Australia and England play, less number of non Aussie and English supporters will follow the contest. When Australia and India play, more number of non Aussie and non Indian supporters will follow the contest. That, according to me, is the TRUE AND BIGGEST RIVALRY OF A SPORT! Not just because the two nations have a history. And I am not a fan of the India-Australia rivalry just because it benefits my team for being Australia's rival.

Okay let me say this for the 100th time.

MOST AUSTRALIAN CRICKET FANS, DO NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT WINNING OR LOSING AGAINST INDIA. COULD NOT CARE LESS.

Users who are viewing this thread