The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
kodos said:
I'd be speaking them as if they are gods if I actually did support India which I do not. The batsman's that I have named are class and only ridiculous people or people who have very little knowledge about cricket say that they aren't class. India are a middle bracket team?? What do you mean by "out pace attack are ready for the challenge and not our spining department", the last time they came here both the spinners and seamers struggled. Also your statement that the spinners are not ready for the challenge, well I am sure that Warne and MacGill have always been ready for the challenge, it's just that the Indians have handled them well while other nations have struggled against them. They are coming in at 4 and are only 1 point behind Pakistan. If they are to beat SA in this test series then they most likely will move to 3rd spot. After SA's recent test performances I'd certianly rate the Indians ahead of them.

Also last time we had a similar attack with no mcgrath and warne and they dominated us but for steve waugh heroics and that keeper patel who kept missing stumping s they might have done the unthinkable.

It shoudlnt be end of dominance think about it Clark has been the better out of him and Pidgeon and the batting is just class yeah ok maybe in Test matches teams might post more due to Warne not getting them out but I think Clark is McGrath so its really only Warne leaving.

I think Lara made a very good point during his guest stint during the 1st day of play yesterday.

He was basically saying that the big difference might be that teams approach playing Australia with a lot more confidence. Even if the bowling attack hasn't got much worse, the opposition will feel that they can try and take Australia on and it's possible it will work without the likes of McGrath and Warne to turn to.

Australia will never be as good without Warne and McGrath, but they will still be a very good team.

Australia may not be as good, teams may play them with more confidence.....that still doesn't gurantee you better results when your own team is garbage. Who is actually going to be a threat? The asian teams are always hard to beat at home....but come on, we could stick any one of our state sides in and knock the rest of pretty comfortably. It's not as if other teams aren't going to be losing their best players in the next few years either.

kodos said:
I'd be speaking them as if they are gods if I actually did support India which I do not. India are a middle bracket team?? They are coming in at 4 and are only 1 point behind Pakistan. If they are to beat SA in this test series then they most likely will move to 3rd spot. After SA's recent test performances I'd certainly rate the Indians ahead of them. What do you mean by "our pace attack are ready for the challenge and not our spinning department", the last time they came here both the spinners and seamers struggled. Also your statement that the spinners are not ready for the challenge, well I am sure that Warne and MacGill have always been ready for the challenge, it's just that the Indians have handled them well while other nations have struggled against them.
Well I rate Pakistan and South Africa above them and I believe they are not in the top bracket, South Africa are killing them right now in the second test so don't discount them. And when I said our pace attack are ready for the challenge, I meant that the youngsters are more ready than the young spinners, nothing to do with playing India specifically, but of course it means something. Oh, and we play Sri Lanka next not India, and on our home pitches against both sides we should be able to do the trick better than you think.

Look at our ODI side, it doesn't have Warne and it is still the best in the world, we have the talent to back this up, people who don't know better will say that No Warne and no McGrath means no Australia but when you look at our state system you see that a fierce contest is going on to replace them, and I am confident that our team as a whole is better tha just two individuals that supposedly 'shape it' because we are Australia, and without Warne we were still number 1, without McGrath last year we were still Number 1, and we can continue to produce great players like we always have.

Last edited:
Well the fact is the Aussies have a lot of talented youngsters who are ready to replace some of the retiring greats. I reckon they have the best in this regard than any other country. But whether they'll make the step up from domestic to international cricket only time will tell.

I would rate the Saffers ahead of both India and Pakistan simply because the latter two always struggle on foreign soil. The Saffers might have dropped down in terms on consistency over the past few years. In ODIs they are definately the 2nd best team in the world.

m_vaughan said:
Well the fact is the Aussies have a lot of talented youngsters who are ready to replace some of the retiring greats. I reckon they have the best in this regard than any other country. But whether they'll make the step up from domestic to international cricket only time will tell.

I would rate the Saffers ahead of both India and Pakistan simply because the latter two always struggle on foreign soil. The Saffers might have dropped down in terms on consistency over the past few years. In ODIs they are definately the 2nd best team in the world.

Atleast india and pakistan fight away the current south african team is cakewalk away from home in subcontinent.Please know your facts before
posting

aus5892 said:
Well I rate Pakistan and South Africa above them and I believe they are not in the top bracket, South Africa are killing them right now in the second test so don't discount them. And when I said our pace attack are ready for the challenge, I meant that the youngsters are more ready than the young spinners, nothing to do with playing India specifically, but of course it means something. Oh, and we play Sri Lanka next not India, and on our home pitches against both sides we should be able to do the trick better than you think.

Look at our ODI side, it doesn't have Warne and it is still the best in the world, we have the talent to back this up, people who don't know better will say that No Warne and no McGrath means no Australia but when you look at our state system you see that a fierce contest is going on to replace them, and I am confident that our team as a whole is better tha just two individuals that supposedly 'shape it' because we are Australia, and without Warne we were still number 1, without McGrath last year we were still Number 1, and we can continue to produce great players like we always have.

Thats why bangladesh beat you and you struggled in a test in bangladesh
:p :eek: .coming to serious matters odi cricket is different in tests australia won away and home which is very rare so what i mean to say are they will
find it hard to win away matches specially in sub continent.those players were once in a generation players no matter how good the state system is talent like that are not available easily.Why did india dominate austalia in 2003 :p

Cricket_god said:
Atleast india and pakistan fight away the current south african team is cakewalk away from home in subcontinent.Please know your facts before
posting

Thats why bangladesh beat you and you struggled in a test in bangladesh
:p :eek: .coming to serious matters odi cricket is different in tests australia won away and home which is very rare so what i mean to say are they will
find it hard to win away matches specially in sub continent.those players were once in a generation players no matter how good the state system is talent like that are not available easily.Why did india dominate austalia in 2003 :p
In that ODI game Australia really only have themselves to play for losing that although it was the start of the tour and the real goal was to beat England to get an upperhand before the test series.

Australia only just beat Bangladesh in that test match because it was a really long tour and the players were dieing for a rest and to get home, understandable.

India didn't dominate Australia in 2003, 1-1 isn't a domination. A couple of Indian batsmen got some big scores, all batsmen get that, it was just that a couple of them did it around the same time, besides, Australia beat India in India in 2004, the key word "beat".

The Domination is Over.
But our rating as #1 team will last for a few more years.

We will still be very good and at the top of the list but each test and each series will be alot more of a struggle to win, they will really have to work hard.

All adds up to exciting cricket in years to come instead of Aussies dominating and game over in 3-4 days.

symonds_sixes said:
In that ODI game Australia really only have themselves to play for losing that although it was the start of the tour and the real goal was to beat England to get an upperhand before the test series.

Australia only just beat Bangladesh in that test match because it was a really long tour and the players were dieing for a rest and to get home, understandable.

India didn't dominate Australia in 2003, 1-1 isn't a domination. A couple of Indian batsmen got some big scores, all batsmen get that, it was just that a couple of them did it around the same time, besides, Australia beat India in India in 2004, the key word "beat".
Actually, India did dominate that series.
You`ve got to look beyond results sometimes.

In the last test match at Sydney, India scored 705/5 dec although on a very flat deck and also had the option of enforcing the follow-on .
Thy were in fact reeling at the end of Day 3 and only a great Katich knock saved them.
Even in the II innings, it was Katich and `Tugga` Waugh who did the rescue act.
Had it not ben for some aweful umpiring by Mr.Bucknor and some poor keeping by Patel, India should have wrapped it up.

However, I do believe that the Aussies will not fall down dramatically.
The gap betwen other sides and Australia will get narrow but they have the structure to still produce class players like Hussey,Clarke ,Clark......

But whether they`ll find a replacement for Warne or McGrath , Iam not sure .

symonds_sixes said:

I do not think you have watched that series go and watch it and then reply

Sman-21 said:
The Domination is Over.
But our rating as #1 team will last for a few more years.

We will still be very good and at the top of the list but each test and each series will be alot more of a struggle to win, they will really have to work hard.

All adds up to exciting cricket in years to come instead of Aussies dominating and game over in 3-4 days.

Good to see some one not as foolish as others on this forum and saying some sense

Cricket_god said:
I do not think you have watched that series go and watch it and then reply

I watched that series and it was a silly batting collapse that lost us the second test....not bowling related at all. Rain stopped us from winning the first test. We won the third test even without a decent bowler. The fourth test was a boring flat track batathon.

We were playing with one decent paceman in gillespie (but he wasn't playing when we won the third test)....he had no back up besides MacGill...and Lee just before he got dropped. Today even without mcgrath we have a half decent Lee, Clark and a bundle of young talent that are far better Bracken, Williams, Bichel and Katich (who bowled an awful lot in that series).

Sachin, Laxman, Dravid and Sehwag were at the peak of their powers....however today Dravid is the only wicket that doesn't come cheaply. They won't be with india forever either....nor will Kumble, who took most of the wickets....they will be long gone before Australia tumble all the way down to number 2. Who's going to replace them? Who's going to replace Lara? Who's going to replace Inzy? Who's going to replce the English 11?

Plenty of other teams are going to lose some fairly significant players in the coming years. Australia were supposedly a spent force in 2005 - then we pluck the likes of Stuart Clark and MEK Hussey, who haven't just played well at test level - they've dominated, and are already our best batsman and bowler. Who's to say we don't have a couple more of these fellows ready to step up? I don't think the Australian selectors really even know, just as they didn't know with Warne and McGrath.

What I do know is that with our systems we have a better chance than any other team in the world of finding some more world class players.

Last edited:
I believe we won't find a Bowler like McGrath for some time,
eventually we may, as for Warne - maybe never. All-in-all, we do
have a knack for finding great talent, so I'm not worried about the
future and all you doubters taking this opportunity to doubt that we will.
After all, we're Australia, not England - who falls as quickly as they rise.

Cricket_god... You use a 2003 ODI series as an arguement, that's weak.
Yet you hardly (seemingly on purpose) acknowledge the following series. :D
Have anymore old and useless examples you would to base an arguement off?,
I need a good laugh and you seem primed to give me one or two.

Last edited:
Dr.Cricket said:
I believe we won't find a Bowler like McGrath for some time,
eventually we may, as for Warne - maybe never. All-in-all, we do
have a knack for finding great talent, so I'm not worried about the
future and all you doubters taking this opportunity to doubt that we will.
After all, we're Australia, not England - who falls as quickly as they rise.

Cricket_god... You use a 2003 ODI series as an arguement, that's weak.
Yet you hardly (seemingly on purpose) acknowledge the following series. :D
Have anymore old and useless examples you would to base an arguement off?,
I need a good laugh and you seem primed to give me one or two.

How foolish of you my friend i do not think you have read my previous posts

valvolux said:
I watched that series and it was a silly batting collapse that lost us the second test....not bowling related at all. Rain stopped us from winning the first test. We won the third test even without a decent bowler. The fourth test was a boring flat track batathon.

We were playing with one decent paceman in gillespie....he had no back up besides MacGill...and Lee just before he got dropped. Today even without mcgrath we have a half decent Lee, Clark and a bundle of young talent that are far better Bracken, Williams, Bichel and Katich (who bowled an awful lot in that series).

Sachin, Laxman, Dravid and Sehwag were at the peak of their powers....however today Dravid is the only wicket that won't come cheaply. They won't be with india forever either....nor will Kumble, who took most of the wickets....they will be long gone before Australia tumble all the way down to number 2. Who's going to replace them? Who's going to replace Lara? Who's going to replace Inzy? Who's going to replce the English 11?

Plenty of other teams are going to lose some fairly significant players in the coming years. Australia were supposedly a spent force in 2005 - then we pluck the likes of Stuart Clark and MEK Hussey, who haven't just played well at test level - they've dominated, and are already our best batsman and bowler. Who's to say we don't have a couple more of these fellows ready to step up? I don't think the Australian selectors really even know, just as they didn't know with Warne and McGrath.

What I do know is that with our systems we have a better tchance than any other team in the world of finding some more world class players.

System polishes the talent no system produces talent mate its just hype about australian system.It is going to be still hard top beat australia at home but away they are going to stuggle big time specially in sub continent.

Users who are viewing this thread