The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
Don't let this digress into another Murali v Warne debate. It's obvious Murali is better :p.

Anyway, no, I don't think Australian dominance is going to end soon. They've been No.1 in cricket from about 1999 atleast. The fact that they're still No.1 shows that they constantly manage to reproduce high class players. Yes, at some point another team will overtake them, but for now, looking at the Ashes series, they seem unbeatable. They may not have the best of spinners coming through, but I think they will still dominate with the likes of Lee, Clark, Johnson and Tait.

Adarsh said:
Don't let this digress into another Murali v Warne debate. It's obvious Murali is better :p.

Anyway, no, I don't think Australian dominance is going to end soon. They've been No.1 in cricket from about 1999 atleast. The fact that they're still No.1 shows that they constantly manage to reproduce high class players. Yes, at some point another team will overtake them, but for now, looking at the Ashes series, they seem unbeatable. They may not have the best of spinners coming through, but I think they will still dominate with the likes of Lee, Clark, Johnson and Tait.
The dominance started in 1995 @ test level when we beat the West Indies in the Carribean and are you for real about Murali or just joking coz you're poking your toungue out :p

gambino said:
warne is much better than murali

take out both players wickets against bangladesh and zimbabwe and you will see who the better bowler is stats wise by a mile
That is a pathetic arguement that has been shot down over a million of times on these forums. Don not bring it up again, it makes you look foolish and ignorant.
Stick to topic please, no more arguements on who is better and stuff. This is just, I think, to discuss the Aussie's future.

Adarsh said:

Hey we get decent spinners coming through it's just going to take them time to make it to the big shot.

wel another person who should retire after these ashes is langer

so it will give enough time for jaques or someone to come in and get used to it before the indian test series next year

Jaques is already being said as the next Adam Gilchrist which is fine for ODI's but I'm not so sure about Test Matches.

aussie1st said:
Hey we get decent spinners coming through it's just going to take them time to make it to the big shot.
I wouldn't exactly say that. Their no sensations but I think they'll all be given their shot. I hope MacGil plays on for a fewer more years to give us more time to produce an actual attacking spinner who can atleast bowl a little effectively with fielders around the bat.

ZoraxDoom said:
That is a pathetic arguement that has been shot down over a million of times on these forums.
Hows that a pathetic arguement? It's actually a good point. It cuts down the match-advantage Warne has over Murali.

Cricket_god said:
Another foolish comment come on mate please read my previous post to know the context in which i am saying.It takes teams time to develop england may be lose 5-0 but they have youngsters as they were in 2003 who developed so the next ashes who knows.One great patnership is all it takes as you said its a matter of confidence nothing else.
You were saying that a team wouldn't whitewash a series because they weren't as strong as the team that toured last time round and I was explaining that, that isn't always the case. I used the 2002/03 Ashes series (Where England's team was weaker but Australia's was slightly stronger) compared to the 2006/07 series (England's team is stronger but Australia's is slightly weaker) as example, go check the series results. That's the context.

Cricket_god said:
Atleast india and pakistan fight away the current south african team is cakewalk away from home in subcontinent.Please know your facts before
posting

Thats why bangladesh beat you and you struggled in a test in bangladesh
:p :eek: .coming to serious matters odi cricket is different in tests australia won away and home which is very rare so what i mean to say are they will
find it hard to win away matches specially in sub continent.those players were once in a generation players no matter how good the state system is talent like that are not available easily.Why did india dominate austalia in 2003 :p

They dominated us? Really? Well it was a few years ago but I can't really remember them dominating us :rolleyes:

wfdu_ben91 said:
Hows that a pathetic arguement? It's actually a good point. It cuts down the match-advantage Warne has over Murali.
A) Murali doesn't choose who to bowl to. He bowls to whever he can, and does well. Take his averages against other teams. I think he has a better average than Wranie against India, but don't know the rest. Would be interesting to see, but I guarantee you, they won't be too different.
B) Stats aren't everything, otherwise Micheal Clarke is the best spinner in India ever.
C) The Bangladeshi and Zimbabwean batsmen can bat, they aren't school boys or anything. Proof? Warne's first day mauling at the hands of Bangla.
Arguement closed. And this is just a brief arguement, other ones were usually much longer than this. I just summarised the three main points.
Now can we stop Warne vs. Murali.

Cricket_god said:
I think you are foolish enough to state that australia can white wash india at home which is near immpossible even the steve waughs mighty australian team was hammered in india do not post stupid thoughts as its shows your cricketing knowledge.Australians struggle against spin if indians prepare turning tracks australia would lose 3-0 which is possible .

I think a whitewash in india is our new final frontier. Just my point of view on how the 2 teams are shaping up - I think we play spin a lot better than we use to, I think India bowl spin worse than they use to. I think Pakistan in Pakistan will be the real test, as well as Sri Lanka at home with Malinga on fire. Anyway we got a year to wait for that stuff....who knows, the Turbinator might be back in full flight by then.

How bout this 20/20 caper?? Maybe that should be the final frontier? I can see that being as successful as the super series. After all, both these idiotic ideas were derived to increase the chances of Australia losing something weren't they? What happens if Australia wins that? Where do we go from there? I guess we start having a close look at this beach cricket caper.

valvolux said:
I think a whitewash in india is our new final frontier. Just my point of view on how the 2 teams are shaping up - I think we play spin a lot better than we use to, I think India bowl spin worse than they use to. I think Pakistan in Pakistan will be the real test, as well as Sri Lanka at home with Malinga on fire. Anyway we got a year to wait for that stuff....who knows, the Turbinator might be back in full flight by then.

How bout this 20/20 caper?? Maybe that should be the final frontier? I can see that being as successful as the super series. After all, both these idiotic ideas were derived to increase the chances of Australia losing something weren't they? What happens if Australia wins that? Where do we go from there? I guess we start having a close look at this beach cricket caper.

I Think People have mis understood indian cricket now a days as they are preparing good pitches they think they can play spin well if india prepares a turning track as in 2001 no team could be able to beat them let alone australia who struggle big time against spin and now they have a batting line up who all struggle against spin except hayden who is also going to retire soon.So a Indian white wash is more likely and probable

Last edited:
Clarke doesn't struggle against spin. he loves it and if Ponting carries his form through then it will be very tough for India to win

though without Warne i'm not sure how well they will do when they bowl

Leicester Fox said:
Clarke doesn't struggle against spin. he loves it and if Ponting carries his form through then it will be very tough for India to win

Ponting struggles in india big time he is a failure in india

Leicester Fox said:

Ponting struggles in india big time he is a failure in india and you cannot win with one batsman and clarke when he played in india no body knew about his strenghts or weakness so its going to be difficultfor him too and my reply was to a guy who told that australia can white wash india at home.

fair enough. I don't know why i was defending Australia anyway. I'm English for gods sake

Users who are viewing this thread