The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
I think its not quite the end yet but we are quite close to the end ,IMO.
With Gilly out of the side, you`ve lost your best allrounder.
Haddin is`nt the worst but I doubt whether we`ll see another Gilly (just like we won`t see another Warne or McGrath).

If Ponting does not find his purple patch of last year , you`ll definitely see Australia losing more games than they`ve been in the last few years. You just can`t bully teams to submission everytime.
The Aussie bowling is their real cause for worry.

Teams will soon realize that if they play out Lee without giving him too many wickets, they`ll find getting up to a decent score reasonably easy.
With the wickets getting flatter around the world these days, the Aussies will find bowling out good sides a lot harder.

Well, they lost McGrath after the WC.

As I said, they lost an absolutely key cog in their machine in the form of Gilly but the players that are left are still the best out there. Although Gilchrist had fallen to the wayside a little over the past few years, he will be impossible to replace.

Still, they're going to lose 5-0 in the 2009 Ashes.

Actually, 1 game might get rained off. :p

Last edited:
Dont care if Australia is coming down or not. India is definately moving up. Not long ago our ODI side was dustbin.

its 3 defeats in a row dude???

You forget last CBS 2006 then followed by RH series . We lost 5 matches in a row but at World Cup we showed everybody why we are World Champions :D We know very well how to bounce back .

Next World Cup is in 2011 and you're not going to Champions Trophy. So whats left. A trip to India.

@indian supporters - yes.....we've won the finals 2-0,yes.... we outplayed
them in the finals, yes.......our ODI team has improved by leaps and bounds,
yes......the youth formula has worked......!!

BUT.....lets not jump too much shall we.....
india does not have a good history when it comes to consistency...:p..

I think people are confusing being able to go out and wipe most other sides out in an innings and three days or so with being dominant. The Australian team as it was before the recent spate of retirements was arguably the best cricketing side ever. They were absolutely phenominal.

Just because they won't be able to keep up to their own standards doesn't mean that they won't be dominant. Dominant isn't the same as being absolutely exceptional as the Aussie side circa late 90's - 2006 were.

They will still be a very good cricket side, but they won't be able to maintain the standards they have in the past. Which have quite frankly been absolutely exception. This is just combining with a period in cricket in which the Indian side appears to be on a sharp climb. So no doubt people are always going to overplay a drop in performances when one side is becoming also what could become an exceptional Indian side.

These threads come up all the time when we lose a series. I aint slightly worried. Aus will still win 90% of the time

our bad, lol it would be funny if all teams stopped playing cricket apart from Aussies. kekekke

Has anyone actually figured out why Gilly retired? I'll give you a hint, read my posts in this thread.

Has anyone actually figured out why Gilly retired? I'll give you a hint, read my posts in this thread.

I havent read them but is it by any chance that Haddin has come up and Gilly is going down so Haddin was going to be first choice so he chose to retire.

I havent read them but is it by any chance that Haddin has come up and Gilly is going down so Haddin was going to be first choice so he chose to retire.
Congratulations, you win!

That would be why losing Gilly at this point in time is both a gain and a loss. Gilly is no longer the best keeper in the country, nor is he good enough to make the side as a batsman.

Users who are viewing this thread