The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
Well with no One Day cricket or stupid Twenty20 tournaments overseas to distract Stuey (he's also retired from domestic OD cricket) he could do alright.

Ya WC..He has interest in playing IPL...Its difficult to play in international games with injured leg..In IPL you don't have to run....Lol...

It would be a tough ask to play until he's 40. Australia have to hope that he can play for as long as he can until one of the youn guys put their hand up. I think the Australian selectors aren't prepared to gamble on them either meaning if MacGill is plagued by this injury, they will have to find a 4th seamer.

Yeah it would be tough, especially considering MacGill's lack of fitness. I don't mean his injuries, I mean his lack of physical fitness. His fielding and batting are awful and he looks like a very old 37. Compare him with Brad Hogg (who is nearly the same age), who is the complete opposite - good batsman/field, very fit. It's amazing Hoggy retired first...but given the riches on offer in India, I guess it's understandable.

As for the future of Aussie spin, I hope the selectors pick Dan Cullen to be the ODI spinner before Hauritz, mainly because Cullen would be a better Test bowler that Haury and it would do him good to get some more international experience before he eventually takes MacGill's spot in the Test team.

Last edited:
I'd rather pick on players that have performed in a particular form. Either way Cullen hasn't performed in FC this season so shouldn't even be considered. Casson should be given a go before him if we are basing on potential and form.

I'd rather pick on players that have performed in a particular form. Either way Cullen hasn't performed in FC this season so shouldn't even be considered. Casson should be given a go before him if we are basing on potential and form.

Or not.

I'm quite confident in saying that Australia wont have a spinner in ODI cricket for a while, they'll go the 5 pacers.

As for test, it's Macgill until further notice

Or not.

I'm quite confident in saying that Australia wont have a spinner in ODI cricket for a while, they'll go the 5 pacers.

As Sy said earlier, they might pick Hauritz for ODI's since seems a good ODI bowler. They need to hope that he or Casson can bowl well enough to get a test place when MacGill hangs up his boots.

Or not.

We've already seen during the CBS final series how one dimensional our attack can be. It's not like we don't have spinners performing in the OD form of the game. Dothey is another, grabbed 4 in the final against Victoria and had a good season.

As Sy said earlier, they might pick Hauritz for ODI's since seems a good ODI bowler. They need to hope that he or Casson can bowl well enough to get a test place when MacGill hangs up his boots.

Yeah, I highly doubt that. Hauritz is rubbish, I don't think he's miles better than M. Clarke even.

That Steve Smith kid from NSW looks good for the long future though!

Who knows maybe we are being too harsh on our young spinners maybe its because aussie players are so good against spin bowling, wickets here arent the best for spinners and we have so many great batsmen at state level that could easily step into Aus side it makes them look worse than they really are.

I think it was Dan cullen who i dont think much of at all who ripped pakistan a apart in a recent aus a vs pak a tour.

So maybe they really are good enough but australia is so DOMINANT they got so many awesome batsmen at state level that make them look bad.

Who knows maybe we are being too harsh on our young spinners maybe its because aussie players are so good against spin bowling, wickets here arent the best for spinners and we have so many great batsmen at state level that could easily step into Aus side it makes them look worse than they really are.

I think it was Dan cullen who i dont think much of at all who ripped pakistan a apart in a recent aus a vs pak a tour.

So maybe they really are good enough but australia is so DOMINANT they got so many awesome batsmen at state level that make them look bad.

Warne spun the ball very well even on Australian pitches, that is what made him so good.

Yeah but Warne's average would've been in the low 20's like Murali's was if he played more then half of his career on spinning paradises.

I like it how this thread has turned into a Muralitharan bashing one. Gambino will not be pleased though.

Let me join in for a sec...

_42299800_no_ball_416x300.gif

Users who are viewing this thread