Toyota F1 [F1 Challenge 2007]: Gulf Air Bahrain GP - Raikkonen on pole

Predict my F1 future

• Horrible season. Will get replaced by someone else during it.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Not so horrible season but will get replaced by someone else next year.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Season good enough to hold a place in the team for next year

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Good season leading to an improved contract offer from Toyota next year

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Good season and will get signed up by a bigger team next year

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
bannerjw8.jpg

Saturday begins with a disappointment

I was pretty pleased with yesterday?s two practice sessions and I looking to improve even more in today?s morning practice.

Using the same setup as yesterday?s evening session, I went onto the track when Heikki Kovalainen was on pole position with a laptime of 1:25.922. Yesterday I had done a quickest of 1:25.700 so I knew I had a good chance of going top straight away. However the car dint quite feel as comfortable as it did yesterday and I put up a disappointing 1:27.355 in my first attempt.

And by the end of the fourth attempt I had managed to clock a best time of 1:25.951, while Kimi Raikkonen was leading with a quickest laptime of 1:25.321.

By the end of the session I had managed a best time of 1:25.893, that got me twelfth place. Fernando Alonso beat Raikkonen to the top with a time of 1:25.152.

I was disappointed with my lap times, especially considering I was ninth fastest in yesterday?s evening practice and had gone almost .2 seconds quicker round the track.

I knew I had to get it right in the official qualifying session but with just fifteen minutes to do so, it would no doubt be a tough task.

Jarno had a good session though, setting the quickest time by a Toyota so far on this circuit, at 1:25.695, that earned him "the best of the rest" seventh place.

p2ze6.jpg

p21em0.jpg

p22pb4.jpg

p23to3.jpg

p24kp1.jpg

Final laptimes from Saturday's practice session:
1. Fernando Alonso (Mclaren Mercedes) 1:25.152
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:25.321
3. Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber) 1:25.387
4. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) 1:25.410
5. Lewis Hamilton (Mclaren Mercedes) 1:25.422
6. Robert Kubica (BMW Sauber) 1:25.508
7. Jarno Trulli (Toyota F1) 1:25.695
8. Heikki Kovalainen (Renault) 1:25.718
9. Giancarlo Fisichella (Renault) 1:25.729
10. Nico Rosberg (Williams F1) 1:25.873
11. Siddharth Kanjilal (Toyota F1) 1:25.893
12. Jenson Button (Honda) 1:26.125
13. Rubens Barrichello (Honda) 1:26.296
14. David Coulthard (Red Bull Racing) 1:26.646
15. Alexander Wurz (Williams F1) 1:26.715
16. Mark Webber (Red Bull Racing) 1:26.934
17. Scott Speed (Toro Rosso) 1:28.128
18. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Toro Rosso) 1:28.466
19. Adrian Sutil (Spyker F1) 1:28.902
20. Christijan Albers (Spyker F1) 1:29.004
21. Antony Davidson (Super Aguri) 1:29.512
22. Takuma Sato (Super Aguri) 1:29.545

Next update will be of the Australian GP Qualifying session

Not the best saturday but they can do their talking in the race ;) Keep up the good work mate

Finally the time had come for the qualifying session of the 2007 Australian GP. I had experienced mixed results in the practice sessions and was determined to get it right in the one that mattered the most.

By the time I was ready to begin my first timed lap, Mclaren’s Lewis Hamilton had take provisional pole with a time of 1:25.242. And during my lap, Felipe Massa went top with
1:25.097. I did a 1:25.893 which got me fifth place at the time and soon became seventh as Jarno Trulli and Giancarlo Fisichella set faster laps.

I went for another attempt with some five minutes left for the session to end. Massa’s time was still fastest while Alonso had taken place. I gave it my all this time in order to get the quickest time my Toyota could set but only managed 1:25.792. I would have to content with that as I got orders from the pits to not go for another try. Just as I got off my car, Alonso and Raikkonen took first and second spot with times of 1:24.792 and 1:24.950 respectively . I was ninth on the grid just behind my team-mate Jarno Trulli. We were a bit lucky because both the Williams had disappointing qualifying sessions. But we weren’t complaining at all.

After the session I was talking to Nico Rosberg and he said there were some minor issues with the car which cost him and Alexander Wurz time on the track. But he was confident that it would be fine come tomorrow’s race. With the Ferraris, Mclarens, BMWs and Renaults clearly ahead of us, we would be fighting for fifth place with the Williams team.

p2gq0.jpg

p21lo1.jpg

p22eo6.jpg

p23mi9.jpg

Australian GP Qualifying:

1. Fernando Alonso (Mclaren Mercedes) 1:24.792
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:24.950
3. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) 1:25.097
4. Lewis Hamilton (Mclaren Mercedes) 1:25.242
5. Robert Kubica (BMW Sauber) 1:25.292
6. Giancarlo Fisichella (Renault) 1:25.346
7. Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber) 1:25.390
8. Jarno Trulli (Toyota F1) 1:25.755
9. Siddharth Kanjilal (Toyota F1) 1:25.792

10. Nico Rosberg (Williams F1) 1:25.878
11. Heikki Kovalainen (Renault) 1:25.907
12. Alexander Wurz (Williams F1) 1:25.954
13. Jenson Button (Honda) 1:26.039
14. Rubens Barrichello (Honda) 1:26.295
15. Mark Webber (Red Bull Racing) 1:26.601
16. David Coulthard (Red Bull Racing) 1:26.624
17. Scott Speed (Toro Rosso) 1:27.986
18. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Toro Rosso) 1:28.316
19. Adrian Sutil (Spyker F1) 1:28.447
20. Christijan Albers (Spyker F1) 1:28.950
21. Takuma Sato (Super Aguri) 1:29.566
22. Antony Davidson (Super Aguri) 1:29.604

2. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:24.950
3. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) 1:25.097

Awesome Ferrari.. Hopefully they reach 1 and 2 in race too ;)

I was talking to Nico Rosberg

Trying to get Williams tacticts huh? :p lol just kidding. Nice fighting from Toyota drivers..Hopefully both get points in race.. Gud luck sid :cheers

The race is about to begin?

The start of the 2007 Formula 1 Championship is just moments away now. The drivers are getting ready for the formation lap.

In between all the excitement and tension, I am doing my best trying to keep my cool. I had a good and lengthy discussion with my team staff and so far things looked pretty well for a good race.

My strategy was to basically run throughout the race on the faster softer compound tires. This would require me to pit twice and hence I had filled up fuel accordingly. All this was actually done before qualifying as the new rules dint allow us to make any changes after it for the race.

I was starting in ninth place, one behind my team mate Jarno Trulli and also the points. It?s a tricky situation because both of us could be fighting for that final point spot but we would have to be careful not to hamper both our as well as the team?s chances in the process.

I had spoken to Jarno after qualifying yesterday and he told me this:

?Don?t worry Sid. I?ve been in such a situation several times before and it can disrupt your race unnecessarily. So forget about who is front of you or who is behind, just go out there and drive a good race. Whatever happens after that will happen.?

Experience talking there but I knew how important it was for the team to have both of our cars finish the race so I had made that my first priority. Considering the fact that the people in front of us had consistently outperformed us in all the practice and qualifying sessions it would require some bad driving and or some sort of a mechanical failure on their part to get us both into the points. But that by no way means we weren?t believing in doing that ourselves.

a1oh2.jpg

It was finally time for the formation lap as all the twenty two cars went round the Albert Park circuit. I could see the packed stands and hear the noise even above the sound of my own engine. I ensured that the car was running fine during the formation lap and kept doing the zig-zag to prevent the tires from overheating.

The cars took their respective places on the starting grid and we now await for the five red lights to illuminate and the race to begin.

Note: I wont be doing the entire 58 laps ofcourse but just 8 instead (15%). However I will be running at 7X fuel consumption and increased tire wear so that the pit strategies remain the same as it would for the entire race.

bannerjw8.jpg

The 2007 ING Australian GP
LIVE from Albert Park, Melbourne, Australia

As the red lights began to illuminate I prepared my car for the start. All five went ofn and then off and off I went. Heading into the first turn I had not lost or gained any places and was right on the tail of my team-mate Jarno Trulli.

a1zb5.jpg

As the race went on, Giancarlo Fisichella, who had been overtaken by Nick Heidfeld, had pulled away considerably from Jarno Trulli and myself. Both Jarno and myself were putting in similar laptimes. Behind me, about two seconds away was the Honda of Jenson Button who had made the most of a personal battle between Nico Rosberg and Heikki Kovalainen, overtaking them both in the process. Defending champion and race leader Fernando Alonso had already created some gap between himself and Felipe Massa.

b1gg6.jpg

a2lq2.jpg

As we approached the first round of pitstops, I was still right behind Jarno. However I had to go in first which allowed him to pull away. I did a 8.3 second stop before heading back into the track at tenth place.

a3rw9.jpg

Rosberg and Trulli were eight and seventh respectively but still had to pit. Fisichella had done his first pitstop and was about nine seconds ahead of me in ninth place.

a4fa0.jpg

So with a fairly clean track in front me, I had a good oppurtunity to put in a few quick laps in order to try and get ahead of Trulli when he makes his first stop. It would be difficult as he was on a heavier load and would probably have a shorter stop.

Shortly, Trulli made his scheduled pitstop. I was informed of this through the radio and pushed hard. As I took the long straight next to the pits, I could see Jarno on his way out. It was going to be very close but I had the advantage of being on the track. Jarno was about to rejoin the track, and I just managed to go ahead of him. The strategy had worked for me, but only just.

a5em3.jpg

Next few laps saw Jarno do the chasing and once again both of us continued to clock identical laptimes. Jarno came close on two occassions but was unable to overtake. Both of us, while being competitive, were careful of not ending both our races, which would be a complete disaster.

a6zo2.jpg

In the meantime, Alonso was still leading the race comfortably. But behind him Raikkonen had managed to overtake his team-mate Felipe Massa. Lewis Hamilton was also not far behind the two Ferraris in fourth position.

b2di1.jpg

Behind myself and Jarno was the Jenson Button in the Honda, Nico Rosberg in the Williams, Mark Webber in the Red Bull and Heikki Kovalainen in the Renault, all not that far away. The next few laps saw Webber overtake Rosberg, much to the delight of the home fans.

The time had come for the second round of stops and once again I went in first though Trulli pitted exactly a lap later. At the end of both our pitstops, I was still in front and had infact gained almost half a second.

a7as0.jpg

But Jarno started to close in the final part of the race and was posting quicker laptimes. But a mistake in one of the turnings saw him lose some time and once again there was about a second's gap between me and him.

a8lq3.jpg

We came to the final lap of the race and Jarno had once again managed to close in on me. I had relaxed a bit in the last few laps and Jarno took advantage of that. I pressed hard and tried to hold on to eight place. Ultimately I managed to do just that as I crossed the chequered flag to score a championship point on debut.

a9kh3.jpg

Fernando Alonso had started his Mclaren career with a victory. Raikkonen came second followed by Massa, Hamilton, Kubica, Heidfeld, Fisichella and myself.

b3ax8.jpg

I was ecstatic with the result and to have scored a point on my Formula 1 debut was fantastic. Lewis, also in his first race, had finished fourth which was an even better achievement.

As I drove back to the pits and got out of my car I was congratulated by my pit crew, technical staff as well as Jarno, who had got there before me.

I also did a quick interview with NDTV who approached me as soon as I got out of the garage.

Siddharth, how does it feel to have finished in the top eight in your first race?
Me: Its unbelievable. I'm really happy with my performance and the result. I had to work hard throughout the race and was pushed to the limit by my more experienced team-mate Jarno Trulli. But in the end I managed to hold on and its just feels great.

Would this have created any sort of tensions between yourself and Jarno Trulli?
Me: Absolutely not. He just congratulated me a few moments back. We knew we could be racing each other today, and had actually discussed it yesterday after qualifying. Jarno has a lot of experience and its an honour for me to be driving beside him. There is a very friendly competition between us and today was a good example of exactly that.

Anyways here is the final result:

1. Fernando Alonso (Mclaren Mercedes)
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
3. Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
4. Lewis Hamilton (Mclaren Mercedes)
5. Robert Kubica (BMW Sauber)
6. Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber)
7. Giancarlo Fisichella (Renault)
8. Siddharth Kanjilal (Toyota F1)
9. Jarno Trulli (Toyota F1)
10. Mark Webber (Red Bull Racing)
11. Jenson Button (Honda)
12. Nico Rosberg (Williams F1)
13. Heikki Kovalainen (Renault)
14. Alexander Wurz (Williams F1)
15. David Coulthard (Red Bull Racing)
16. Scott Speed (Toro Rosso)
17. Antony Davidson (Super Aguri)
18. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Torro Rosso)
19. Takuma Sato (Super Aguri)
Out. Christijan Albers (Spyker F1)
Out. Rubens Barrichello (Honda)
Out. Adrian Sutil (Spyker F1)

Driver's championship:
1. Fernando Alonso (Mclaren Mercedes) - 10 pts
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) - 8
3. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) - 6
4. Lewis Hamilton (Mclaren Mercedes) - 5
5. Robert Kubica (BMW Sauber) - 4
6. Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber) - 3
7. Giancarlo Fisichella (Renault) - 2
8. Siddharth Kanjilal (Toyota F1) - 1

Constructor's championship:
1. Mclaren Mercedes - 15 pts
2. Ferrari - 14
3. BMW Sauber - 7
4. Renault - 2
5. Toyota F1 - 1

Good performance there. first points in the chamiponship. Sad Button finsished at 11. Nice pres

Apparently yes... Nice results there Sid.. the games pretty boring cause i just cant play without aids and i havent found the challenging difficulty level yet

I can confirm there is no game called F1 Challenge 2007. What m_vaughan is using is merely a 2007 mod for the game F1 Challenge 99-02. :)

I can confirm there is no game called F1 Challenge 2007. What m_vaughan is using is merely a 2007 mod for the game F1 Challenge 99-02. :)

That is correct. I am using a mod/update for the F1 Challenge 99-02. The mod goes by the name F1 Challenge 2007 by Seth.

Apparently yes... Nice results there Sid.. the games pretty boring cause i just cant play without aids and i havent found the challenging difficulty level yet

Well I am currently playing on 100% AI Strength and aggressiveness. If you have noticed the laptimes posted by the CPU is pretty competitive. Even if I take a better/faster car I will still have to work hard to match the laptimes.

I used to play a lot during good old college days in 2003 and was a lot better then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread