Unofficial Buildup to the 2010/11 Ashes

Robelinda

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
The public release is much later that the ACF release. In 2006 a massive percentage of tickets were sold in the first ACF release, mostly the Poms getting in early, but the rules are changed now so the tickets go to Aussies.

Owzat

International Coach
I couldnt care less about a horse race, never watched the Melbourne Cup, I think its ridiculous the 'importance' it has. Some horses run around some grass, give me a freakin break.

If it weren't for gambling on the outcome I think more and more would agree, like you and I.

I guess I also hate racing for the simple reason it used to be on BBC when they had Test cricket and BBC would always go off to a horse race in the middle of the cricket :mad:

EDIT : oh that and the idiots that ride their horses on the roads in the middle of rush hour, and some of idiots that ride horses full-stop

Robelinda

International Coach
Hah! yep it used to be the same here on Ch 9, I think around 1999 they stopped showing a horse race about 6 or 7 times during a day of test cricket, usually on Sat or Sun, then when they crossed back to the cricket you would always have missed out on a 6 or a wicket or something, really annoying!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Robelinda

International Coach
Whatever was missed was upsetting, regardless! But yeah a six was not all that common in test cricket back in the 80's and 90's, so it was quite a highlight. You would do well to check scorecards of 80's tests in Australia compared to now, a lot more sixes now for sure. Didnt see too many guys clearing the straight fence at Adelaide before they put a rope in 30 metres. Slater hit on gigantic six there in 98 that was missed due to a horse race.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
What i hope will be the Ashes touring squad ATS:

1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. KP
5. Collingwood
6. Bell
7. Prior
8. Swann
9. Broad
10. Anderson
11. Finn

12. Morgan
13. G Jones/Kieswetter/Davies
14. Onions
15. Bresnan
16. Sidebottom/Shazad/Tremlett
17. Key

Shaun Tait

Club Cricketer
I would say Cook needs some runs first, Sorry but who does Finn replace in your team War? I would have kept Onions to be honest.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Onions is injured, and it's looking unlikely that he'll get any cricket before the Australia tour. I'd go for:

1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. Pietersen
5. Collingwood
6. Bell
7. Prior
8. Swann
9. Broad
10. Anderson
11. Finn

12. Shahzad
13. S. Davies
14. Onions
15. Morgan
16. Bopara
17. Lyth/Carberry/Key

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Rashid has to go as the second spinner. He won't play unless Swann is injured, but he must go just in case.

Five bowlers must come into the equation for the first test as well. Having Shahzad in the team might be a good idea since he can reverse the ball and it might be needed on some of the flat pitches in Australia.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Good shout, forgot about a 2nd spinner. Is there a limit on the amount of players we can take to Australia? If not, I'd just add Rashid onto that squad list, as he'd definitely be my 2nd spinner for Tests ATM.

How do people rate Adam Lyth's chances of getting on the plane as the reserve opener? He's had a superb season for Yorkshire, especially in FC cricket, and having seen a little of him on TV this season, he looks a very talented player. Don't think you can ignore the amount of runs he's made this year, been in superb form. Has 1142 runs at 63.44 with 3 centuries FTR. That's in comparison with Carberry who has 857 at 57.13 with 4 centuries and Key who has 667 at 44.46 with 2 centuries.

1 further thing, Steven Davies is quite clearly our 2nd best keeper right now. Any calls of Geraint Jones or Craig Kieswetter are laughable for me. Jones had a good season last year, but he's pretty much done sod all this season. Davies has been exceptional in County Cricket for a long time, and has had a brilliant season for Surrey and is currently the 6th highest run scorer in the country. Heck of a player.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Onions is injured, and it's looking unlikely that he'll get any cricket before the Australia tour. I'd go for:

1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. Pietersen
5. Collingwood
6. Bell
7. Prior
8. Swann
9. Broad
10. Anderson
11. Finn

12. Shahzad
13. S. Davies
14. Onions
15. Morgan
16. Bopara
17. Lyth/Carberry/Key

No need to pick a 3rd extra batsman. Bresnan although i dont rate him i think will have to go instead. Since if the likely situation occurs where England go into the 1st test or 2 test with the 4 bowlers (Anderson/Broad/Finn/Swann) & they struggle to take 20 wickets consistently as we saw in last winter in South Africa - on those flat AUS pitches.

The option of playing 5 bowlers will reluctantly have to be considered. This is where Bresnan comes into the equation. Since he is the only bowler who we could put to bat @ # 7 - to enable us to accomodate 5 bowlers.

RoboRocks said:
Rashid has to go as the second spinner. He won't play unless Swann is injured, but he must go just in case.

No way. Rashid is not international quality - much less test quality. Swann is the only test quality spinner in England.

If god forbin Swann gets injured in any test. 4 fast bowlers have to play. It would be suicide to play Rashid or Tredwell as part of a 4-man attack.

RoboRocks said:
Five bowlers must come into the equation for the first test as well. Having Shahzad in the team might be a good idea since he can reverse the ball and it might be needed on some of the flat pitches in Australia.

As i said above. 5 bowlers can't come into the equation unless England backs are againts the wall. 7 bats & 4 bowlers have to start for the 1st test.

King Pietersen said:
How do people rate Adam Lyth's chances of getting on the plane as the reserve opener? He's had a superb season for Yorkshire, especially in FC cricket, and having seen a little of him on TV this season, he looks a very talented player. Don't think you can ignore the amount of runs he's made this year, been in superb form. Has 1142 runs at 63.44 with 3 centuries FTR. That's in comparison with Carberry who has 857 at 57.13 with 4 centuries and Key who has 667 at 44.46 with 2 centuries.

Not sure. I dont recall ever seeing him bat. I dont rate Carberry - but i do Key so i'd pick him. We definately need a reserve opener though, given i fear Cook is gonna get exposed technically again.

King Pietersen said:
1 further thing, Steven Davies is quite clearly our 2nd best keeper right now. Any calls of Geraint Jones or Craig Kieswetter are laughable for me. Jones had a good season last year, but he's pretty much done sod all this season. Davies has been exceptional in County Cricket for a long time, and has had a brilliant season for Surrey and is currently the 6th highest run scorer in the country. Heck of a player.

IIRC i remember you advocating Jones being picked recent. Even suggesting he should bat @ # 3 in potential future test XI.

But yea i dont have an issue Davies being the # 2 for the test squad. But at the same time i wont be surprised if Kieswetter gets fast-tracked or Jones gets a recall either.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Why don't you rate Carberry? He's perfectly suited to Australian conditions. He's brilliant against pace bowling, scores at a decent rate, has a good solid technique, has scored a lot of County runs and is a magnificent fielder. I'd take him ahead of Key personally, Key's had a pretty poor season, in comparison with the other 2 anyway.

I was just throwing ideas around at that stage, and Jones was in good form at the start of the season then, but Davies is miles ahead of anyone else as far as Test selection goes in my eyes. He should be miles ahead of anyone else in the ODi squad as well, but the selectors went with Kieswetter, which TBF, was a decision I agreed with. Davies is far and away the best keeper batsman in England after Prior.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well last tour England bought 17 guys and Plunkett, Joyce and Dalrymple never saw the light of day (Joyce replaced Trescothick before the tour started). So there were actually 6 fast bowlers and 3 spinners (counting Flintoff and Dalrymple), and 2 keepers named (Jones and Read). And then England played 5 bowlers in every game. So assuming that England only plays 4 bowlers this time, you can probably chop a spinner and quick off last tours squads and name an extra batsman instead. Then your 17th man might be Bresnan who would play if 5 bowlers are wanted. So your 17 would be:
2 keepers (Prior & Davies?)
7 batsmen (Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Collingwood, Bell and Morgan)
5 pacemen (Broad, Anderson, Finn, Onions & Shahzad?)
2 spinners (Swann & ???)
1 all-rounder (Bresnan)

I don't see the need for even 2 reserve batsmen. If there are 2 injuries, you'd play the reserve keeper or Bresnan before flying someone else out. An 8th batsmen will probably be just a waste of an airfare and will just take up space in the dressing room :p, even the 7th batter probably won't do much.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Why don't you rate Carberry? He's perfectly suited to Australian conditions. He's brilliant against pace bowling, scores at a decent rate, has a good solid technique, has scored a lot of County runs and is a magnificent fielder. I'd take him ahead of Key personally, Key's had a pretty poor season, in comparison with the other 2 anyway.

I was just throwing ideas around at that stage, and Jones was in good form at the start of the season then, but Davies is miles ahead of anyone else as far as Test selection goes in my eyes. He should be miles ahead of anyone else in the ODi squad as well, but the selectors went with Kieswetter, which TBF, was a decision I agreed with. Davies is far and away the best keeper batsman in England after Prior.

I hate the way you dis-regard county stats in some places, and then place them as the be-all and end all in others. This mostly applies to your post before this one but it really is annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread