Unofficial Buildup to the 2010/11 Ashes

=/ Where have I done that in the post you quoted? I very rarely dis-regard County Stats, it's War that does that. They're never the be all and end all either, I prefer to take County stats into consideration, and then after that consider how good they look when I've seen them play. Saj Mahmood is a perfect example of that. If I based my entire arguments on County stats, then Mahmood would be in my Test and ODi XI's, as he's been taking wickets for Lancs, but I know, having watched him in County Cricket that he actually hasn't improved that much, and doesn't have the temperament for International cricket. He never bowls like he does for Lancs for England.

I must have mistaken some sarcasm in your posts then :p

=/ Where have I done that in the post you quoted? I very rarely dis-regard County Stats, it's War that does that.

No i dont.:facepalm

They're never the be all and end all either, I prefer to take County stats into consideration, and then after that consider how good they look when I've seen them play.

This is the sameeeee way i judge county players. How has this been misinterpreted??? :facepalm

Saj Mahmood is a perfect example of that. If I based my entire arguments on County stats, then Mahmood would be in my Test and ODi XI's, as he's been taking wickets for Lancs, but I know, having watched him in County Cricket that he actually hasn't improved that much, and doesn't have the temperament for International cricket. He never bowls like he does for Lancs for England.

Brilliant. I find it odd that you can to this sane conclusion with Mahmood yet not have it with other county players. I.e you recently pushing for Bopara to included in the 1st test vs PAK. Crazy yo..

War added 4 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Why don't you rate Carberry? He's perfectly suited to Australian conditions. He's brilliant against pace bowling, scores at a decent rate, has a good solid technique, has scored a lot of County runs and is a magnificent fielder. I'd take him ahead of Key personally, Key's had a pretty poor season, in comparison with the other 2 anyway.

Although playing pace is indeed his strenght. IMO i dont believe his technique againts pace is good enough to handle really good international pace attacks. I was againts Carberry playing in Bangladesh recently.

At least Key played test before & although dropped always looked decent. I personally think just by watching him bat he has improved & matured alot in the last 6 years & for me is the best back-up to Cook.

I'm pretty sure any top order Eng bats are not exactly worried about our bowling attack, it looks very wayward and not threatening at all. Think you guys might have one great winter down here.

I'm pretty sure any top order Eng bats are not exactly worried about our bowling attack, it looks very wayward and not threatening at all. Think you guys might have one great winter down here.

Ha na. I wont go that far. Cant ENG winning in AUS. AUS have to do alot wrong to lose in home conditions over 5 tests.

Wont be too worried about AUS pace attack either. Once no injury setbacks dont occur that pace attack is good enough to take 20 English wickets very often.

The same cannot be said about ENG bowling attack though. Although ENG can take hart from the last Ashes & the current series vs PAK, that AUS top 7 have a tendancy of late to self implode quite brainlessly.

I think so. Presume you're talking about the post I made about Broad's 8fer in the Domestic thread? There was definite sarcasm there.

Going back to your point about back-up openers KP. A player i'm sort disappointed who hasn't kicked on for the position is Stephen Moore. I'm sure you remember that hundred he scored vs AUS in the tour match before the 1st test.

The match was shown on TV & he really looked the part as potential test opener. I'd rate him @ his best over Carberry, Lyth for sure - not so much Key though.

Shane Warne says Aussie Ashes prep is a shambles:Ashes build-up a wrong 'un, says Warne | Herald Sun

Anyone agree? I kinda think the preparation is OK. 2 Test v Pak, then 2 v Ind is alright to me. If we played another 3 Test (or more) series before the Ashes then you'd be running the risk of burnout. It's not as though England's 3 Tests v Pak is much more comprehensive. It's just that England have a more settled side and look a bit more in form at present, I think that's what he really means.

The thing is, two test matches on the dusty, flat Indian surfaces before returning to play the swinging, bouncing English attack at Brisbane? Not a great idea.

4 away Tests is about as many as they would have in any other year, but what is a problem is October and November chocked up with ODIs. I'd like to see as many Test players rested against Sri Lanka as possible. If they can do that, then there are 4-5 first class games for a decent shootout.

The thing is, two test matches on the dusty, flat Indian surfaces before returning to play the swinging, bouncing English attack at Brisbane? Not a great idea.

I cant see why it would be for modern day cricketers.

I cant see why it would be for modern day cricketers.

Agree War. It's not like Brisbane will have unfamiliar conditions for the Aussies, they know exactly what to expect. They just need some cricket under the belt.

4 away Tests is about as many as they would have in any other year, but what is a problem is October and November chocked up with ODIs. I'd like to see as many Test players rested against Sri Lanka as possible. If they can do that, then there are 4-5 first class games for a decent shootout.

I like this idea a lot. I doubt it will happen, and I don't think the SL board would be too happy, but it would be much better Ashes wise. And it's not like Cricket Australia will need big crowd numbers for the ODI matches - it's an Ashes summer, they'll already be rolling in ticket sale money.

Last time I checked, he wasn't good enough to get in the team, so I don't quite see how he's going to take the Ashes away from the sidelines. Unless he's planning to rob them from Lords whilst in England playing for Hampshire.

Users who are viewing this thread