Unofficial Buildup to the 2010/11 Ashes

England squad being announced as I speak.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. FFS They've picked Bresnan.

Themer added 1 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

They've gone for Monty as well. I'd of gone for Rashid buts in a understandable pick unlike Bresnan who's just plain crap.

And Tremlett, rather happy with that pick he's deserved it.

Monty has had a pretty good season, he's more of a safe choice, but he's in good form again.

Bresnan, I think we're all agreed he's not good enough. I suppose there is an argument that you don't bring in a rookie for an Ashes tour. Still, Bresnan would be behind Tremlett as back up, surely?

The batting line up is difficult to pick.

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen (He has to play, big game player, etc.)
Collingwood
Bell
Prior

Tough to not pick Morgan, he's an exceptional talent. But I think the player he's vying with is Collingwood. Bell has been in exceptional form, Trott had a fantastic summer.

Can't see why the Ashes XI won't be our Central Contracts XI.

I can't understand why Bresnan was picked over Shahzad. Bresnan has never looked at all convincing as an international bowler, and doesn't have anything special. He's just very average. Shahzad, on the other hand, has looked very promising and seems to have a genuine aura about him as an international bowler. As a bowler he's fearsome, he gets impressive bounce and pace and always looks for a wicket.

And you can't use the "bresnan can bat too" argument because a) Shahzad is capable of using the bat as well, b) England have Swann and Broad at the lower order who are capable batsmen as well, so you'd rather have a better pure bowler and c) Bresnan hasn't looked any good with the bat anyway.

Shahzad is a much better bowler than Bresnan. He has the ability to reverse swing the ball and could've bring something new to the table. Bresnan neither a line and length bowler or an all out pace bowler. He won't be giving Australia any nightmares.

Can't believe Rashid hasn't been picked for the PP squad. He's ranked no.2 in the MVP rankings and has taken the most wickets of any England spinner in the country.
Obviously he must of had an altercation with the England management, since there is no excuse for leaving him out.

Last edited:
Bresnan tends to go on to make decent little scores, but only after getting some luck early on. He can certainly bat, not quite to the level England reckon he can, but oh well. Shahzad has impressed me so far, hopefully he can break in to the ODI side post World Cup.

How did Monty come into contention all of a sudden? Also wish Shahzad was going :(

How did Monty come into contention all of a sudden?

He didn't really. He's had a very good season for Sussex and there'd been murmurs he was the one who'd get the nod.

Also wish Shahzad was going

By the sounds of it, Shahzad is basically the 17th member of the squad. He's going to be with the team for the warm ups while the rest of the performance squad are arriving later and will stay with the test squad for longer.

We need some diehard English fan to pull a Tonya Harding on Bresnan :p

The England squad looks pretty average.

A lot depends on Cook who is looking out of sorts in last two test series. May pretty early to call in the Ashes squad may be.

Flintoff will be missed very much.. Supporting England during this Ashes again :) But I think that Australia will ease through seeing what happpend last time.

The England squad looks pretty average.

Flintoff will be missed very much..

Dont know how you work that out england are the form team in world cricket and dont fear anyone, its the aussies who should be worried.
We have quality all the way through our side, flintoff was a very over rated player and other than ashes 05 i dont think he will be missed at all.
Freddie who?.........

How did Monty come into contention all of a sudden? Also wish Shahzad was going :(

Give him his dues, he's bowled really well at Sussex this year. 52 wickets @ 25, albeit in Division 2, he's certainly looked better than previously. Tredwell didn't do much this season outside of a 7-23 in the last match of the season. Rashid did okay, but you've got the experience factor. Amazingly, he's still only 22 (I should really remember he is younger than me).

Exactly what I was thinking, Ollie. I think a mroe accurate assessment would be, "A lot depends on what every other batter apart from Cook does." I have af fear he'll be carried this Ashes.

the bresnan thing is beyond a joke really its quite obvious the guy aint up to it its like how they chose wright for the SA tour last year. Brainless stuff. What has Shahzad done wrong? but then again hes only played Bangladesh hasnt he so cant really base him on that.

As an Aussie, I think Tremlett and Monty are good selections for you guys. I liked what I saw of Tremlett (a while ago admittedly), and while I'd have been interested to see more of Shahzad, I don't think it will really matter because I imagine Bresnan is first reserve (thankfully for the Aussies :p). And Monty can potentially cause some headaches if his confidence is high because historically Aussies don't like play SLA bowlers very well.

Users who are viewing this thread