Unofficial Buildup to the 2010/11 Ashes

Is there not someone better than Watson to try to talk down at the England players? I mean seriously, if Ponting or someone is knocking them, then fair enough, but Watson? Seriously?

I believe Ponting weakness is bouce because i remember last year or two year ago, (i not sure) West India bowler bowl at him and they did bowl bouce him out a lot time

Definitely a way to get him out but unlike the short ball weakness of Hughes, Waugh, etc if he has his pull shot working then it could become a costly exercise.

For me to Ponting earlier I'd aim for off and middle pitched right up as he can sometimes go across one. I'd still throw in the odd bouncer here and there but I'd be alot more interested in going for an LBW/bowled early in his innings.

For me to Ponting earlier I'd aim for off and middle pitched right up as he can sometimes go across one. I'd still throw in the odd bouncer here and there but I'd be alot more interested in going for an LBW/bowled early in his innings.

Yeah you are right , they should mixed with LBW and bounce. Ponting is nervous starter. I think he did improve with spin bowler.

Watson should shut up and leave them alone !

I believe Ponting weakness is bouce because i remember last year or two year ago, (i not sure) West India bowler bowl at him and they did bowl bouce him out a lot time

I think you're talking about Kemar Roach in that series when he looked pretty good. As others have said, I reckon the best way of getting Ponting early on is on the front foot swinging. He always pushes hard at the ball early on in his innings and is susceptible to the LBW and to being caught behind.

Agreed with that. I mean of course you're going to throw in the odd bouncer, but his major weakness is that off stump line early doors in the hope that he pushes at one. Hopefully we can get him early, or else he'll show why he's one of Australia's best ever batsmen.

Nielsen said 25-year-old Ferguson was a "big chance" to make Australia's Test side for the Ashes series opener against England in Brisbane starting November 25.

"I think he's a big chance, runs do the talking, don't they?" Nielsen said in Perth.

Nielson puts heat on North, Hussey | Fox Sports

Looks like the usual talking up a candidate then seeing no changes for the 1st Ashes test. I really don't see the selectors changing the side.

I really don't see the selectors changing the side.

Be a mistake if they don't. A lower order with one of Khawaja or Ferguson in there looks a more dangerous than Hussey/North.

I can see a lot of collapses with those two next to each other in poor form.

Sadly everyone but the people that matter can see it. All they have to do is look at the number of losses and collapses we have had recently. No surprise who the two main causes of the problem is.

We should do what Pakistani fans do to PCB officials and selectors, go and burn their effigies outside their house!

I think you're talking about Kemar Roach in that series when he looked pretty good. As others have said, I reckon the best way of getting Ponting early on is on the front foot swinging. He always pushes hard at the ball early on in his innings and is susceptible to the LBW and to being caught behind.
Though he does have a tendency to fall across, he is actually strong off his pads. The lbw thing works while conditions allow it, but it becomes a poor strategy if you're just bowling straight at middle & leg.

In Australia, a more consistently effective strategy would be a tight length outside off stump. He will leave a lot of deliveries, but he won't allow bowlers to bog him down like that. He will look to drive if it's slightly full or slightly short and is certainly good enough to hit a few, but as long as it's accurate bowling, you can set a field for it.

Everyone here seems to have a different opinion on what Ponting's weakness is and how to get him out. Kinda proves that he has no apparent weaknesses which is the hallmark of a great player.

Kinda proves that he has no apparent weaknesses

Yeah pretty much. There isn't a certain area that you could say if I get a ball there he's likely to get out, same with Tendulkar.

For me he has a slight problem falling over early, tendecy to get out to short balls which has developed recently and sometimes lunges a bit at spinners. There's no way you could say that there are in anyway a weakness though; they aren't as glaring as getting a ball outside offstump to Alastair Cook to take his edge. Merely slight angles which you could attack.

I am siding with aussie/war on this that we need a 4 man pace attack, but only for the Gabba. Looking at the domestic games there and also the Test vs WI last year the pitch is a seamer's paradise. In fact I will be very surprised if we do select Hauritz, Nielsen & Co already are saying that Hauritz might[ miss out.

Users who are viewing this thread