Unofficial Buildup to the 2010/11 Ashes

Owzat, just whatever you do, do not bring Mark Davies into this discussion. You've mentioned County Experience, and bowlers who stand out, and given County records Davies stands out more than most. But you do not want to get into a discussion with "War" about Davies. Dire doesn't even begin to sum it up. :) As far as I'm concerned though, Mark Davies should definitely be up for consideration for the Ashes tour, should he have another exceptional season.

:laugh Haa, welll since you have thrown out the raw meat at me here. I have to attack. This is why Mark Davies should not be considered for test selection ESPECIALLY on a tour to Australia:

- I write off Davies domestic achivements, because i see his domestic stats as gross abberation, based on the times i've seen him bowl.

- I rather see his excellent domestic average a indictment on our FC competition given that a medium pacer like him such a fabulous average which is comparable to Great Alec Bedser (an actual great medium pacer). I question the quality of batting in division 1.

- Secondly because medium pace bowlers like Davies have been an extinct breed in test cricket since the Alec Bedser, Don Shackleton, Bob Appleyard, Ken Higgs days of the 1950s & 60s. The last medium pace type bowlers to play test cricket in recent times where Gavin Larsen, Brain Strang & our own Jon Lewis they where poor test bowlers - with Lewis although he played one test it was very unlikey he would have had a successful test career anyway. You can also add Chaminda Vaas & Stuart Clark who at the back end of their careers when they lost their pace & became medium pace, became poor test bowlers. Australia have completely axed Clark ATM given his drop in pace.

Both Larsen & Strang aslo where superior medium pacers than Davies based on what i've seen - so i have no hope in Davies ever being a test quality bowler & i rather/hope he never plays test cricket for England. Simple

But even with such an average the ENG selectors didn't even take him on tour to Bangladesh of all places & you think he should go to Australia?. What where their doubts, especially with Broad & Onions having injury woes right now?? Thats like a batsman averaging 50 every other season in FC cricket for 5 years across divisions (like Hussey did for AUS in ENG/AUS)
& the AUS selectors backing him without question. I dont know what are their reasosn for not calling him up for the BANG tour, but i definately proves to some degree that regardless of his fantastic FC average - they dont think he is as good as his average suggests.

Davies like John Lewis @ Trent Bridge in 2006 & Mike Smith @ Headingley 97 are county trundlers who need seaming conditions to be successful. If they don't get it, they would be useless. You definately would not have such conditions in Australia - so picking him for the Ashes tour would be giving Ponting & co batting practise.

War added 11 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Seconded. Not even sure he is up to ODI cricket, his bowling is ok for county cricket where he can bowl a few overs and so can other bit-part bowling batsmen, but in ODIs we need as many who will bowl their 10 most of the time as possible. Tests he'd just be bowling maybe 5-10 overs most Tests, not much more than Collingwood could/would/should, and his batting may not be up to the sterner examination that is Test bowling

Indeed. We have seen his type & this type of useless selection before in David Capel WI 89/90, Mark Watkinson SA 95/96, Rikki Clarke BANG 03/04, Mark Ealham & Ben Holliake Ashes 97, Ronnie Irani IND 96, Flintoff & Hamilton (98, 99) i.e trying to pick a useless bits a pieces county wastes 'all-rounders" to potentinally do a role as a # 6/7 batsman who can bowl a bit. So the ENG selectors should learn from their mistakes of the last 2 decades, which they clearly haven't when they picked Wright in the test squad for South Africa.:doh

Without Flintoff, England can never play 5 bowlers again - the selectors need to accept that & keep Wright far away from the test side. The dark 90s have returned.

Tremlett if he stays fit surely? But whatever we do do, not Sajid Mahmood, no to Batty boy. Players with three years of full season county experience, players who stand out and not just ones who look ok on the county circuit. Personally I think the ODI scene should be the tester for Tests, plenty of past Test greats played ODIs then Tests.

Ye Tremlett to be considered on the premise that he stays fit. If not i don't know. Thats why i hope Boyd Rankin decides to play for us.

But geez the our bowling depth is really gash these days. I'm really not that impressed by our young bowlers in Shazad, Woakes & Finn just yet to be dead honest. Where are the young 90 mph bowlers in county cricket is wonder??

:laugh Haa, welll since you have thrown out the raw meat at me here. I have to attack. This is why Mark Davies should not be considered for test selection ESPECIALLY on a tour to Australia:

- I write off Davies domestic achivements, because i see his domestic stats as gross abberation, based on the times i've seen him bowl.

- I rather see his excellent domestic average a indictment on our FC competition given that a medium pacer like him such a fabulous average which is comparable to Great Alec Bedser (an actual great medium pacer). I question the quality of batting in division 1.

- Secondly because medium pace bowlers like Davies have been an extinct breed in test cricket since the Alec Bedser, Don Shackleton, Bob Appleyard, Ken Higgs days of the 1950s & 60s. The last medium pace type bowlers to play test cricket in recent times where Gavin Larsen, Brain Strang & our own Jon Lewis they where poor test bowlers - with Lewis although he played one test it was very unlikey he would have had a successful test career anyway. You can also add Chaminda Vaas & Stuart Clark who at the back end of their careers when they lost their pace & became medium pace, became poor test bowlers. Australia have completely axed Clark ATM given his drop in pace.

Both Larsen & Strang aslo where superior medium pacers than Davies based on what i've seen - so i have no hope in Davies ever being a test quality bowler & i rather/hope he never plays test cricket for England. Simple

But even with such an average the ENG selectors didn't even take him on tour to Bangladesh of all places & you think he should go to Australia?. What where their doubts, especially with Broad & Onions having injury woes right now?? Thats like a batsman averaging 50 every other season in FC cricket for 5 years across divisions (like Hussey did for AUS in ENG/AUS)
& the AUS selectors backing him without question. I dont know what are their reasosn for not calling him up for the BANG tour, but i definately proves to some degree that regardless of his fantastic FC average - they dont think he is as good as his average suggests.

Davies like John Lewis @ Trent Bridge in 2006 & Mike Smith @ Headingley 97 are county trundlers who need seaming conditions to be successful. If they don't get it, they would be useless. You definately would not have such conditions in Australia - so picking him for the Ashes tour would be giving Ponting & co batting practise.

Eugh, can't believe I'm being sucked into this rubbish again.

Didn't you say you'd only seen him bowl on 2/3 occasions? If so, I don't believe that's a large enough sample size to simply just write the bloke off. I've seen him bowl a couple of times on Sky, but only once with the red ball, and can't honestly remember exactly how well he bowled. But if it was so easy for a bowler to put together a record as good as Davies', then why aren't more bowlers doing it?

Davies has played for the England Lions and performed very well, he's taking heaps of wickets at County level at a very impressive average, and from what I remember of him, he looked a handy bowler. He's not quick, but he wasn't military medium (I consider that to be 74-76mph) last time I saw him. I remember seeing him bowl at 80-82mph, which is similar pace to Mohammed Asif and Glenn McGrath (towards the end of his career), and they've been successful. Asif looked very dangerous in Australia, even troubling the batsmen when he dropped his pace as low as 75-78mph.

Are you sure it isn't just mere bad luck that the very few occasions you've seen Mark Davies bowl have been when he's had a bad day? Bowlers aren't going to be on song every single day, and it's very likely Davies had one of those days when you saw him bowl. The fact of the matter is, he's impressed on Lions tours, averages 21 in FC cricket and all the talk from the Durham fans I've heard from has been very positive.

1 more thing on an un-related note. Why do you rate Boyd Rankin so highly? I've seen him bowl on a few occasions, and never really been impressed by him. He has height, but that's about it. He's not particularly quick, I've never seen him extract much movement, and he doesn't have an impressive domestic record in England (10 wickets @ 29 for Derbyshire and 49 wickets at @ 33.48 with just 1 5fer). Pretty clear to me that his average is hugely inflated thanks to gimme wickets in Associate matches for Ireland. Steven Finn had a much more impressive season last year if you're desperate for a tall seam bowler.

Eugh, can't believe I'm being sucked into this rubbish again.

Yes you have to be sucked in, since you decided to bring up Davies out of nowhere. Firstly nothing i have said i rubbish, all are facts.

Didn't you say you'd only seen him bowl on 2/3 occasions? If so, I don't believe that's a large enough sample size to simply just write the bloke off. I've seen him bowl a couple of times on Sky, but only once with the red ball, and can't honestly remember exactly how well he bowled. But if it was so easy for a bowler to put together a record as good as Davies', then why aren't more bowlers doing it?

I have seen Davies bowl are:

- Blackpool 07Funny thing about this game i remember laughing at the fact Ottis Gibson was baggin wickets for fun that season & he was way below internaitonal quality & he for sure looked better than Davies.

- - Durham's winning the DIV 1 2009 & 2008. In the last 2-3 years, the key 4-day finals where the likey victor will win has been shown on sky since usally as other will testify only doemstic limited over matches are shown.

- Plus A few times in List A matches for Durham, since they dont play him regularly or at all in shorter format for obvious reasons.

I was never impressed. To me he looks nothing more than county trundler, as i said him averaging 20 shows how bad our FC standard is rather than how good he is.

I dont see why i need to see him bowl alot of times to make a strong judgement on him. Some players you can just look at them & say "yea he looks like he has what it takes to succeed at international level"...i have seen no evidence of this with Davies.

Davies has played for the England Lions and performed very well, he's taking heaps of wickets at County level at a very impressive average, and from what I remember of him, he looked a handy bowler. He's not quick, but he wasn't military medium (I consider that to be 74-76mph) last time I saw him. I remember seeing him bowl at 80-82mph, which is similar pace to Mohammed Asif and Glenn McGrath (towards the end of his career), and they've been successful. Asif looked very dangerous in Australia, even troubling the batsmen when he dropped his pace as low as 75-78mph.

I dont believe taking wickets for the England Lions or England A is great guide. Sajid Mahmood took alot wickets on A tours before he was first selected & we both know he is crap.

On Davies pace. This is where is have a problem with people who defend him.

The man is 75-80 mph (maybe a few balls around 82 mph), he & John Lewis bowls at the same pace - that i am 95% sure of.

He certainly is not the same pace as Mohammad Asif right now come onnn. Asif may bowl a few balls in the 75-78 mph yes, but Asif at peak speed is around 135-136 kmph. Its wayyyy of the mark to put Asif & Davies in the same speed bracket.

Plus Asif troubled the AUS because he is world-class & has the skills to bowl in most conditions. Davies doesn't - he only would do well if he probably gets green top - so you can't judge Asif's success vs AUS as a guide to how Davies may go at alll.

When you say Davies was the same pace as McGrath it can't be at the back end of his international career. Since McGrath in the last days of his international career in Ashes 06/07 & World Cup 2007, certainly was not as slow as Davies.

I hope you mean when McGrath was playing in IPL in the last two years after international retirement, which is when he was bowling at Davies pace.

The bowlers as i said before in international cricket recently that where bowling at Davies pace where Vaas & Clark. Both SRI & AUS abruptly dropped them from their test teams due to the lack of pace. In this era of flat pitches, Davies generally would be useless.

Are you sure it isn't just mere bad luck that the very few occasions you've seen Mark Davies bowl have been when he's had a bad day? Bowlers aren't going to be on song every single day, and it's very likely Davies had one of those days when you saw him bowl. The fact of the matter is, he's impressed on Lions tours, averages 21 in FC cricket and all the talk from the Durham fans I've heard from has been very positive.

Even in the games i highlighted that i saw Davies bowl he probably had off days. He just didn't look international quality, he didn't have to take 7 wickets to impress.

I have seen Gary Keedy take alot of 5 wicket hauls for Lancashire & i would NEVER suggest he should play for England - he just a county pro, not a international quality spinner.

Tell me something about Davies bowling other than his stats. What skills does he have has a bowler that you two have seen that could make him a real wicket-taking force in test cricket outside a greentop??

Again this comes back to simple argument unless you & others starts accepting that DIV 1 cricket has holes in its quality, you will continue to push for Davies to play tests because of his high average.

1 more thing on an un-related note. Why do you rate Boyd Rankin so highly? I've seen him bowl on a few occasions, and never really been impressed by him. He has height, but that's about it. He's not particularly quick, I've never seen him extract much movement, and he doesn't have an impressive domestic record in England (10 wickets @ 29 for Derbyshire and 49 wickets at @ 33.48 with just 1 5fer). Pretty clear to me that his average is hugely inflated thanks to gimme wickets in Associate matches for Ireland. Steven Finn had a much more impressive season last year if you're desperate for a tall seam bowler.

Based on what i've seen of Rankin i'd say he is on par with Tremlett when it comes to pace & we saw how Tremlett troubled India here in 2007. The strenght of tall bowlers like him as we've seen in Harmison, Morkel is not their ability to get movement - but rather extra bounce. So him not being able to extra much seam movement is not a major issue to be fair. The England selectors clearly have an eye on him. See here

quote said:
David Parsons, the ECB's performance director, said the management was on the look-out for a tall fast bowler capable of hitting the deck hard, such as Rankin, who impressed during the 2007 World Cup for Ireland. "We know from the research and from looking at cricket at the prevalence of injuries that there is quite a steady turnover of fast bowlers in the modern game," he said. "We need to make sure that England has a deep pool of fast bowlers ready to go out and perform at high levels.

"But there is also no mistaking that fast bowlers are match winners. Boyd would be the standout quick in terms of his physical stature and the feedback we've had is that he has got a lot of potential. Bowlers who hit the deck hard at a high end pace are really proven to be match winners. If we can identify people like that we are on the right track."

I think he is better than Finn regardless of Rankin's early stats in domestic cricket. Finn action doesn't utlize his height that much, ends up delivering from very low like what Tait does. Its early days for Finn so he can work on it, but for me depending on if Rankin decides to play for us, i'd have Rankin over Finn right now.

On Davies pace. This is where is have a problem with people who defend him.

The man is 75-80 mph (maybe a few balls around 82 mph), he & John Lewis bowls at the same pace - that i am 95% sure of.

He certainly is not the same pace as Mohammad Asif right now come onnn. Asif may bowl a few balls in the 75-78 mph yes, but Asif at peak speed is around 135-136 kmph. Its wayyyy of the mark to put Asif & Davies in the same speed bracket.

The times I've seen Mark Davies bowl, he has always operated at between 79 and 83mph, he certainly doesn't bowl as slow as Ravi Bopara or Paul Collingwood down in the mid 70's.

Asif bowled a number of spells against Australia at around the 75mph mark. He was just trundling in and putting the ball on a spot, getting the ball to move off the seam and in the air, and was troubling the Aussie batters. He is capable of bowling quicker, but in Australia, he looked very dangerous bowling at that speed.

Plus Asif troubled the AUS because he is world-class & has the skills to bowl in most conditions. Davies doesn't - he only would do well if he probably gets green top - so you can't judge Asif's success vs AUS as a guide to how Davies may go at alll.

When you say Davies was the same pace as McGrath it can't be at the back end of his international career. Since McGrath in the last days of his international career in Ashes 06/07 & World Cup 2007, certainly was not as slow as Davies.

I hope you mean when McGrath was playing in IPL in the last two years after international retirement, which is when he was bowling at Davies pace.

Davies does have similar qualities to Asif, from what I've seen anyway. He doesn't get the same extravagent seam movement that Asif gets (not many bowlers do), but he's deadly accurate, gets a bit of swing, gets seam movement if the pitch is offering it and just bowls a nagging line and length on and around off-stump. Something that's far more effective than 90mph wayward tosh. As Sureshot rightly pointed out, pace is irrelevant to ability. Davies has proven over a number of seasons that he has the ability to rip through the top county sides in England, I think he should at least be given a go for England.

As for McGrath, I was comparing him to the McGrath that bowled in the World Cup of 07, where he was operating at Davies pace 79-83mph, he certainly wasn't bowling much quicker than that, and that is the pace Davies has bowled whenever I've seen him.

Again this comes back to simple argument unless you & others starts accepting that DIV 1 cricket has holes in its quality, you will continue to push for Davies to play tests because of his high average.

*low average.

For the record, I'm not saying I definitely believe Mark Davies is International standard, just that given our lack of fast bowlers, he should be given a go. He has an exceptional Domestic record, he's looked a good bowler whenever I've seen him and I think we won't know whether he'll be good enough until he's at least given an opportunity. I think it's incredibly short sighted and potentially sets you up to look a fool if you just write someone off before they've even stepped into the International arena. I'd much rather Davies be given a go than say Shahzad, Finn, Rankin, Bresnan, Mahmood and would even take him ahead of Sidebottom. I just think we should give him a go, you won't know for sure whether he's good enough until he's tried. Hence why I didn't actually want to get into this discussion again.

Based on what i've seen of Rankin i'd say he is on par with Tremlett when it comes to pace & we saw how Tremlett troubled India here in 2007. The strenght of tall bowlers like him as we've seen in Harmison, Morkel is not their ability to get movement - but rather extra bounce. So him not being able to extra much seam movement is not a major issue to be fair. The England selectors clearly have an eye on him. See here.

Hmm, maybe I've not seen enough of him, but whatever I have seen hasn't been great. Definitely didn't look anywhere near ready for International cricket when I've seen him, though nor has Finn tbh. Was just throwing the name out there as a potential tall bowler. I wouldn't have him anywhere near the Test side yet, though he's done more than Rankin to warrant a Test call-up.

Last edited:
Pace is irrelevant to ability.

Yes. But if you don't have the unique skills as a fast-bowler to compensate for that lack pace, you, the fast-bowler will not test/trouble international quality batsmen consistently.

With Davies i have seen no evidence that he has any of those unique skills that would make him very effective outside of early season English greentop/greentop in general.

The times I've seen Mark Davies bowl, he has always operated at between 79 and 83mph, he certainly doesn't bowl as slow as Ravi Bopara or Paul Collingwood down in the mid 70's.

Asif bowled a number of spells against Australia at around the 75mph mark. He was just trundling in and putting the ball on a spot, getting the ball to move off the seam and in the air, and was troubling the Aussie batters. He is capable of bowling quicker, but in Australia, he looked very dangerous bowling at that speed.

If Davies reached 83-mph it was probably an odd delivery at that speed. But i stand by my position that he is generally 75-80 mph. Which is speed Stuart Clark was bowling in the Ashes before he was dropped right away as i said.

I watched that PAK vs AUS test & ODI series in depth. As i said Asif indeed at times was as slow as 75mph-79mph yes. But he was consistently that slow at all, he bowls quicker generally when bowling well.

What Asif did to Australia in Sydney on the first day bowler friendly deck, i certainly can't see Davies doing in a test vs Australia at all.

Davies does have similar qualities to Asif, from what I've seen anyway. He doesn't get the same extravagent seam movement that Asif gets (not many bowlers do), but he's deadly accurate, gets a bit of swing, gets seam movement if the pitch is offering it and just bowls a nagging line and length on and around off-stump. Something that's far more effective than 90mph wayward tosh. As Sureshot rightly pointed out, pace is irrelevant to ability. Davies has proven over a number of seasons that he has the ability to rip through the top county sides in England, I think he should at least be given a go for England.

Again their are no real top county sides right now, or should i say - top county batting-lineups. Davies indeed has ripped through them (mostly in bowler friendly conditions @ Chester-le-Street), but as i keep saying just by watching him bowl i have always wondered how could a bowler like that be causing so much damage. Thus i question that standard of county batting in Division 1.

As you rightfully said, he indeed could be effective if he plays on a greentop. But as i said, other than that, in this era of general flat pitches even here in England, he would be useless 90% of the time. Which is why the selectors should not pick him for tests.

As for McGrath, I was comparing him to the McGrath that bowled in the World Cup of 07, where he was operating at Davies pace 79-83mph, he certainly wasn't bowling much quicker than that, and that is the pace Davies has bowled whenever I've seen him.

Yes but by the 2007 WC McGrath was already finished as a test bowler his pace & effectiveness had declined considerably. Lets say McGrath had played in the 2007/08 Australian test summer vs India & Sri Lanka, Pigeon would have been woeful & would have been dropped i'm certain for a younger bowler.

*low average.

For the record, I'm not saying I definitely believe Mark Davies is International standard, just that given our lack of fast bowlers, he should be given a go. He has an exceptional Domestic record, he's looked a good bowler whenever I've seen him and I think we won't know whether he'll be good enough until he's at least given an opportunity. I think it's incredibly short sighted and potentially sets you up to look a fool if you just write someone off before they've even stepped into the International arena. I'd much rather Davies be given a go than say Shahzad, Finn, Rankin, Bresnan, Mahmood and would even take him ahead of Sidebottom. I just think we should give him a go, you won't know for sure whether he's good enough until he's tried. Hence why I didn't actually want to get into this discussion again.

- We should look past his domestic record & call it a abberation. Thats my position on him. He is not as good as i doemstic average suggests. What does it tell you that Davies has a comparable FC average to Sir Alec Bedser?

- He doesn't need to be given ago. Since we have seen his type before in John Lewis in 2006 & Mike Smith 97. England selectors should learn not to fall for the trap again, of picking these country trundlers just because they are doing well in an average FC competition. Just leave him let him fade away in county cricket.

- I wont be losing sleep over Davies ever becoming international quality or doing well in a test, god forbid England ever picks him.

Up to last year i remember on cricketwebwwhen some of those fools where calling for Mahmood to be recalled to ODI team because of good "List A statssssssss" :laugh. I could have told you just by seeing Mahmood bowl in ONE GAME in all season that he hadn't improved & well you know how Mahmood bowled in South Africa. So i rest my case.

- As i stands i agree with the England selectors for not picking Davies & calling up young bowlers like Bresnan, Finn, Shazad, Sidebottom over him. I defiantely can see Bresnan having more of an effect againts test batsmen that Davies would - although i dont really rate Bresnan either.

Him not going to Bangladesh sort of proves my point of the selectors possibly reckoning on flat pitches of the sub-continent that they dont think he would be effective - even againts Bangladesh of all nations.

I find it very worrying that you would find have Davies over a fit Sidebottom by the way??

Hmm, maybe I've not seen enough of him, but whatever I have seen hasn't been great. Definitely didn't look anywhere near ready for International cricket when I've seen him, though nor has Finn tbh. Was just throwing the name out there as a potential tall bowler. I wouldn't have him anywhere near the Test side yet, though he's done more than Rankin to warrant a Test call-up.

If by this you mean he has the first-class performances over Rankin to warrant a call up before him. Then i disagree. It all comes back to not taking all FC stats on face value & at times judging by just watching them play.

By that argument one can argue that you would have to argue in case we have injury to the middle-order quartet of Trott/KP/Colly/Bell in the coming summer the next best batsmen should come from one of Afzaal, Key, James Taylor, Gale, Gidman, Hildereth, Shah.

I'm sure & hope you would agree Morgan is the next best batsman in line in case of injury for the test squad even though he doesn't have the FC runs behind him as yet. Since none of these names who do have the FC runs are good enough/test quality.

Oh i wish Simon Jones & Flintoff could still play tests :doh

If Davies reached 83-mph it was probably an odd delivery at that speed. But i stand by my position that he is generally 75-80 mph. Which is speed Stuart Clark was bowling in the Ashes before he was dropped right away as i said.

Nope, whenever I've seen him, he operated generally above 80mph, with the odd delivery slipping as low as 76mph, but he was generally bowling around the speeds I mentioned earlier.

Again their are no real top county sides right now, or should i say - top county batting-lineups. Davies indeed has ripped through them (mostly in bowler friendly conditions @ Chester-le-Street), but as i keep saying just by watching him bowl i have always wondered how could a bowler like that be causing so much damage. Thus i question that standard of county batting in Division 1.

Not strictly true, he's bowled very well all round the country.

Why is it the standard of batting you're questioning? No-one else is ripping through sides consistently like Davies. It's not like you've got 10 bowlers consistently taking 50+ wickets at an average in the teens each season. Davies is one of the only bowlers in England that's doing it consistently, which is incredible given his injury problems.

As you rightfully said, he indeed could be effective if he plays on a greentop. But as i said, other than that, in this era of general flat pitches even here in England, he would be useless 90% of the time. Which is why the selectors should not pick him for tests.

What exactly are you basing that on? Must be purely his pace, because he's tall at 6ft 3, is very accurate, bowls a consistently good line, gets movement in the air and off the track and takes wickets. Why are you so sure that he'd only take wickets on green tracks? Just because Jon Lewis couldn't doesn't mean Davies can't, just because they bowl at a similar pace doesn't mean they're exactly the same bowler.

Yes but by the 2007 WC McGrath was already finished as a test bowler his pace & effectiveness had declined considerably. Lets say McGrath had played in the 2007/08 Australian test summer vs India & Sri Lanka, Pigeon would have been woeful & would have been dropped i'm certain for a younger bowler.

His pace and effectiveness had declined considerably, yet he took a wicket in every WC game he played in 07 and took more wickets than any bowler in the history of the WC. He also took 21 wickets at 23 in the 06/07 Ashes, I'm not so convinced he'd have struggled that much if he'd played. Despite being down on pace, he's still a world class bowler, and as mentioned earlier, there's far more to bowling than just pace, even on flat wickets.

- We should look past his domestic record & call it a abberation. Thats my position on him. He is not as good as i doemstic average suggests. What does it tell you that Davies has a comparable FC average to Sir Alec Bedser?

- He doesn't need to be given ago. Since we have seen his type before in John Lewis in 2006 & Mike Smith 97. England selectors should learn not to fall for the trap again, of picking these country trundlers just because they are doing well in an average FC competition. Just leave him let him fade away in county cricket.

- I wont be losing sleep over Davies ever becoming international quality or doing well in a test, god forbid England ever picks him.

It tells me that he's a mighty fine bowler. Not as good as Alec Bedser, but better than Jon Lewis and Mike Smith. What you seem to bring up time and time again is that you believe he and Lewis/Smith/Larsen are all the same bowler, they're not. Davies is clearly a class above them, as he's ripping through batting line-ups at a rate they could only dream of. Davies steam-rolling CC Div 1 batsmen is far more impressive than you're giving him credit for.

Up to last year i remember on cricketwebwwhen some of those fools where calling for Mahmood to be recalled to ODI team because of good "List A statssssssss" :laugh. I could have told you just by seeing Mahmood bowl in ONE GAME in all season that he hadn't improved & well you know how Mahmood bowled in South Africa. So i rest my case.

I saw Mahmood bowl last year, and felt he deserved a call-up. He looked sharp, more accurate and was bowling at a consistent pace, not up and down like he used to be. I was wrong, and he bowled awfully in SA, but when we're so short on options, I think he was worth a go.

I defiantely can see Bresnan having more of an effect againts test batsmen that Davies would - although i dont really rate Bresnan either.

How? Davies is more accurate, gets more movement, doesn't bowl much slower and he's taking his wickets at County level at a far better rate. Bresnan's bowling on one of the greenest tracks in England up at Yorkshire, yet he's not putting in anywhere close to the results of Davies. Think you've just been sucked into this lack of pace = terrible bowler mindset. I just hope Davies gets the chance to prove you wrong.

Him not going to Bangladesh sort of proves my point of the selectors possibly reckoning on flat pitches of the sub-continent that they dont think he would be effective - even againts Bangladesh of all nations.

Ian Bell, Alastair Cook, Matt Prior, Phil Mustard, Ravi Bopara and Joe Denly were all picked ahead of Jonathan Trott in the England ODi squad. I don't think you should be using our selectors as any basis for an argument.

I find it very worrying that you would find have Davies over a fit Sidebottom by the way??

Don't rate Sidebottom. Think we should move on from him. He's looked terrible since 2008, he can't stay fit, lacks effectiveness with the white ball, has lacked nip with the red ball and generally bowled too wide in Tests. Still riding off the back of 2 good series against NZ, not really done much of note since. I'd move on and give someone like Davies a go.

If by this you mean he has the first-class performances over Rankin to warrant a call up before him. Then i disagree. It all comes back to not taking all FC stats on face value & at times judging by just watching them play.

By that argument one can argue that you would have to argue in case we have injury to the middle-order quartet of Trott/KP/Colly/Bell in the coming summer the next best batsmen should come from one of Afzaal, Key, James Taylor, Gale, Gidman, Hildereth, Shah.

Not the same argument at all. Rankin and Finn are 2 young bowlers, Finn has taken his wickets at a better rate, and whenever I've watched them bowl he's looked the better prospect.

King Pietersen added 1 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Yes. But if you don't have the unique skills as a fast-bowler to compensate for that lack pace, you, the fast-bowler will not test/trouble international quality batsmen consistently.

With Davies i have seen no evidence that he has any of those unique skills that would make him very effective outside of early season English greentop/greentop in general.

What are these unique skills that fast bowlers require to be successful then? Davies is tall so will get bounce, is deadly accurate, gets swing and seam movement. What unique skills does he need? Other than pace which seems to be #1 on your list of requirements as far as bowlers go. Davies bowls around the same pace as Luke Wright, so he must be a bowler on a similar level.

Nope, whenever I've seen him, he operated generally above 80mph, with the odd delivery slipping as low as 76mph, but he was generally bowling around the speeds I mentioned earlier.

I didn't see that & the last time i saw him was in September on Sky in this game. So its basically my word againts yours..

Not strictly true, he's bowled very well all round the country

Why is it the standard of batting you're questioning? No-one else is ripping through sides consistently like Davies. It's not like you've got 10 bowlers consistently taking 50+ wickets at an average in the teens each season. Davies is one of the only bowlers in England that's doing it consistently, which is incredible given his injury problems..

In 2007 Ottis Gibson @ 38/39 years old, who was a average bowler for most of his career was ripping throught county batsmen as much as Davies for that one season & was the leading quick bowler, wicket-taker in our domestic competition.

Mushtaq Ahmead & Kaneria season after season take loads of wickets in county cricket but yet for Pakistan (especially Mushtaq) haven't been able to replicate that bowling form in tests.

Steve Harmison who since his 7 test peak of 2004. Has constantly gone back to Durham & taken bucketloads of wickets, always given the false impression that he had regained his mojo. Yet everytime he was recalled based on his bowling form for Durham - it was almost as if nothing had changed.

Add Davies to this & is because of this why one has to question that standard of batting in Division 1, that has been in steady decline since the late 80s. Davies just isn't good enough to average 20 with the ball in FC cricket.

What exactly are you basing that on? Must be purely his pace, because he's tall at 6ft 3, is very accurate, bowls a consistently good line, gets movement in the air and off the track and takes wickets. Why are you so sure that he'd only take wickets on green tracks? Just because Jon Lewis couldn't doesn't mean Davies can't, just because they bowl at a similar pace doesn't mean they're exactly the same bowler.

If dont have pace on flat tracks you need to be able to reverse swing the ball & trait Davies certainly doesn't have. Him being accurate would not be good enough on flat pitches found around the world generally these days, since batsmen will sit on him i.e a spell of 30-10-90-0..

His pace and effectiveness had declined considerably, yet he took a wicket in every WC game he played in 07 and took more wickets than any bowler in the history of the WC. He also took 21 wickets at 23 in the 06/07 Ashes, I'm not so convinced he'd have struggled that much if he'd played. Despite being down on pace, he's still a world class bowler, and as mentioned earlier, there's far more to bowling than just pace, even on flat wickets.

Again this all comes down to perception of pace that Davies bowls right now - that McGrath bowled during the 2006 Ashes.

During the 2006 Ashes McGrath was consistently still between the 80-85 mph, while dropping into the 75-79 in the odd spells. He was quicker than what Davies is right now, when he bowled in the Ashes.

In the 2007 WC is when McGrath first began to show a drop in pace to what Davies bowls. You really can't compare or use McGrath success in the 2007 WC as a guide to how Davies would go in international cricket because:

- McGrath even at reduced pace in the 2007 was still better than Mark Davies right now.

- Mark Davies doesn't play OD cricket for Durham because he is trash in that format.

The pace McGrath was bowling in IPL 2008 & 2009 (which is Davies pace)there is no way had he prologned his test career for the 2008 Australian summer that he would been very effective. He would have had stinkin farewell, since he wouldn't have dismissed those Indian batsmen on those flat pitches.

The only great fast-bowler i know of that was excellent at ages 38/39 was Hadlee & to a level Walsh.

It tells me that he's a mighty fine bowler. Not as good as Alec Bedser, but better than Jon Lewis and Mike Smith. What you seem to bring up time and time again is that you believe he and Lewis/Smith/Larsen are all the same bowler, they're not. Davies is clearly a class above them, as he's ripping through batting line-ups at a rate they could only dream of. Davies steam-rolling CC Div 1 batsmen is far more impressive than you're giving him credit for.

Ha. As i keep saying you need to take domestic stats in England with a pinch of salt. Just because he has been ripping through average county line-ups at a better rate than Lewis & Smith doesn't mean he is better than them.

By the argument you can say Ramps is defiantely better test batsmen than Collingwood because they have been dominating county bowlers far better than he is. But at the end of the day, we both know which batsmen has doen well in tests & who has failed.

Of course generally even in a average FC competition, the general rule is that even the best of the average bunch will rise to the top. But IMO its clearly not the case here with Davies. Again we need to start using our eyes & based on what i've seen of Lewis & Smith i see no difference between them & Davies as bowlers.

It is utter disgrace & indictment on the modern county standards that Mark Davies has compared domestic average to great Alec Bedser. As i keep saying the selectors must have some qualms about him, not to RUSH him into the test set-up right now. Since i can't see a fast bowler averaging 20 in FC right now & not being picked in Australia or South Africa.

Look over in the Windies. Nikita Miller averages 18 with the ball in their FC competition. No one would say he is the next Alf Valentine, based on watching him bowl in international cricket to date - he is clearly not as good as his FC average suggests.The overall point is if a bowler is averaging that well in a domestic system - it should be a clear guide to how he may go in international cricket. If not the domestic competition standard must come under question - thus the quality of the bowler comes under scrutiny.

I saw Mahmood bowl last year, and felt he deserved a call-up. He looked sharp, more accurate and was bowling at a consistent pace, not up and down like he used to be. I was wrong, and he bowled awfully in SA, but when we're so short on options, I think he was worth a go.

Thats the problem here. You can't take that approach, unfortuantely the England selectors do take this approach & haven't learnt that you can't take all FC & List A performances on face value.

Our ODI team has generally been crap since World 1992. So its plainly obvious List A cricket is crap in England. So the selectors clearly at this stage need to look beyond just List A stats to picking players in the ODI team - but pick players on a bit of raw talent. But yet we have seen the same mistakes made over & over with the constant selection of crap bits a pieces all-rounders mainly & joke openers..

Mahmood had to do ALOT more that just seem like he was not up & down like used to be in ONE season - he really needed to do it for at least 2 seasons before a "tentative" recall could have been made. Thats why you & many others where wrong about him. How could he been recalled when he was hardly bowling to any batsmen in List A cricket that where of international standard??. It was a disaster waiting to happen so he failed accordingly in South Africa & was for some bloody reason the selectors picked him the T20 30-man provisional squad:doh

How? Davies is more accurate, gets more movement, doesn't bowl much slower and he's taking his wickets at County level at a far better rate. Bresnan's bowling on one of the greenest tracks in England up at Yorkshire, yet he's not putting in anywhere close to the results of Davies. Think you've just been sucked into this lack of pace = terrible bowler mindset. I just hope Davies gets the chance to prove you wrong.

As i said i dont expect Bresnan to have much effect on test match cricket as much as i dont expect it from Davies. AFAIC neither a test quality.

But again just looking at Bresnan bowl, again my friend lets for a minute just put away his stats to side. I just reckon Bresnan could, by whatever means trouble test batsmen more than Davies is most conditions.

I dont know how Headingley is more bowler friendly that Chester-le-Street. In the last decade if we just look at the test matches that have been played @ Headingley we have a few roads mixed with seamer friendly decks. Right now i'd say Durham is pretty much the only consistent bowler friendly deck in England throughout a domestic season.

If i'm been sucked into this lack of pace = terrible bowler mindset. Then i'm afraid you have been sucked into his great average = very good potential bowler mindset.

Their is enough reason as i listed above why we can't take Davies average on face value & England can not pick him, thus disproving you & the other Davies backers.

While their enough proof backing my position that I have already explained why based on the evolution of test cricket, why a medium pacer like him would not be successful in international cricket today. Pollock, Vaas, Fraser, Clark all where either banished or became less effective test bowlers where they became medium pace as Davies right now at the back end of their careers.

You got be Alec Bedser, Bob Appleyard, Sid Barnes, Fazal Mahmood special to have effect in all conditions bowling that pace in this age of flat decks.

Ian Bell, Alastair Cook, Matt Prior, Phil Mustard, Ravi Bopara and Joe Denly were all picked ahead of Jonathan Trott in the England ODi squad. I don't think you should be using our selectors as any basis for an argument.

Hold up sparky.

- I know for sure Denly & Mustard weren't picked before him. Check that back son.

- While Cook & Bell where picked ahead of him because Trott hadn't qualified to play for England when these two guys first played.

Trott qualified officially in 2007 IIRC & intially he didn't look that impressive. But yes i know our ODI selectors have generally been gash, i mentioned that earlier. They usually get test selection fairly good though, so yea i agree with them for not taking Davies to Bangladesh even if their reasoning may be different from mine for not doing so.

Don't rate Sidebottom. Think we should move on from him. He's looked terrible since 2008, he can't stay fit, lacks effectiveness with the white ball, has lacked nip with the red ball and generally bowled too wide in Tests. Still riding off the back of 2 good series against NZ, not really done much of note since. I'd move on and give someone like Davies a go.

Would have disagree. Yes indeed Sidebottom injuries since 08 has been disappointing, but he is still the best quick once fit behind the our average main trio of Anderson/Broad/Onions - no way should Davies leadfrogg him. Thought he bowled fairly well in the Jo'Burg test.

I would get him out of the ODI set-up now though. No issue with that.

Not the same argument at all. Rankin and Finn are 2 young bowlers, Finn has taken his wickets at a better rate, and whenever I've watched them bowl he's looked the better prospect.

How is not the same argument? As you said you are saying Finn as taken wickets at a better rate, so that means you are judging & backing him over Rankin based on stats right?

Its the same thing in saying James Taylor over Morgan as first back-up batsmen in the test squad. Two young batsmen, Taylor has scored more runs in DIV 2 than Morgan - thus Taylor by having the better domestic form should be ahead of Morgan.

But of course this shouldn't be the case.

King Pietersen added 1 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

What are these unique skills that fast bowlers require to be successful then? Davies is tall so will get bounce, is deadly accurate, gets swing and seam movement. What unique skills does he need? Other than pace which seems to be #1 on your list of requirements as far as bowlers go. Davies bowls around the same pace as Luke Wright, so he must be a bowler on a similar level.

- Bounce?. Nah i dont know about that.

- Accurate yes. Saying he is deadly accurate is slight OTT. I can definately see international batsmen hitting him off his lenght if they get set.

- Gets swing & seam movement yes. But only if he gets the perfect conditions. I cannot see Davies swing the new red kokuburra on flat Adelaide oval wicket, as he does with the Duke ball @ CLS for Durham.

He is lacking reverse swing to be effective on roads/flat pitches.

Last edited:
I'm not even going to bother continuing the Davies discussion further. You've stated your opinion, I've stated mine, we're just going to end up going round in circles. The only way we're ever going to be able to prove whether Davies is International standard or not is by having him play Test cricket over a spell of a few series in differing conditions. Until then it's all conjecture, and frankly I don't want to end up scratching my own eyes out, so leave it there.

Hold up sparky.

- I know for sure Denly & Mustard weren't picked before him. Check that back son.

Trott played his first ODi against Ireland in 09. Denly debuted in the same game so I was wrong there, but Mustard was picked in October of 07.

- While Cook & Bell where picked ahead of him because Trott hadn't qualified to play for England when these two guys first played.

Trott qualified officially in 2007 IIRC & intially he didn't look that impressive. But yes i know our ODI selectors have generally been gash, i mentioned that earlier.

Bell and Cook continued to get picked ahead of Trott even when he was eligible, despite the fact he has a superior List A record, and looked a class player.

How is not the same argument? As you said you are saying Finn as taken wickets at a better rate, so that means you are judging & backing him over Rankin based on stats right?

Its the same thing in saying James Taylor over Morgan as first back-up batsmen in the test squad. Two young batsmen, Taylor has scored more runs in DIV 2 than Morgan - thus Taylor by having the better domestic form should be ahead of Morgan.

But of course this shouldn't be the case.

Missed the part where I mentioned that I was taking watching them bowl into consideration too? Finn's looked a better bowler whenever I've seen him play. My argument wasn't purely based on stats, the stats just supported my argument, so I used them.

- Bounce?. Nah i dont know about that.

- Accurate yes. Saying he is deadly accurate is slight OTT. I can definately see international batsmen hitting him off his lenght if they get set.

- Gets swing & seam movement yes. But only if he gets the perfect conditions. I cannot see Davies swing the new red kokuburra on flat Adelaide oval wicket, as he does with the Duke ball @ CLS for Durham.

He is lacking reverse swing to be effective on roads/flat pitches.

All conjecture. I've seen him get bounce when I've seen him bowl (he's 6ft 3 and bowls with quite a high action), he bowls at the perfect pace to extract swing, and I've seen him get seam movement on tracks that weren't green, so given everything I've seen/heard I think it's more likely than not that he could move the Kookaburra ball. The flatness of a wicket doesn't effect swing either, it's the ball, atmospheric conditions and the bowlers action.

So the only bowlers that are effective on flat pitches are reverse swing bowlers?

Edit: FFS. I fell into the 2nd Davies trap. Pleaseeeeeee leave it there. Kthnxbye.

Butting in: Just on Stuart Clark's pace. He was never much faster than he is right now and he wasn't dropped because of his lack of pace. He was dropped mainly because he's OLD and secondarily he's been riding on the back of his first 2 series in Test cricket vs SA in 06 and the 06/07 Ashes. In those series he had Warne and McGrath to distract and he was the underrated 4th member of the attack.

After the retirement of the 2 legends, they needed more from him. With no Warne they needed more attacking options from their pacemen to make up for their weak spin attack and Stuart Clark doesn't really offer that explosiveness unless it is a seaming pitch (see Headingly v The Oval last year). He was totally toothless and eventually dropped in India when the pitches offered no help to him and then he got injured. In that time Hilfenhaus and Siddle overtook him. It had nothing to do with his lack of pace. It was about age and the balance of the attack.

Butting in: Just on Stuart Clark's pace. He was never much faster than he is right now and he wasn't dropped because of his lack of pace. He was dropped mainly because he's OLD and secondarily he's been riding on the back of his first 2 series in Test cricket vs SA in 06 and the 06/07 Ashes. In those series he had Warne and McGrath to distract and he was the underrated 4th member of the attack.

After the retirement of the 2 legends, they needed more from him. With no Warne they needed more attacking options from their pacemen to make up for their weak spin attack and Stuart Clark doesn't really offer that explosiveness unless it is a seaming pitch (see Headingly v The Oval last year). He was totally toothless and eventually dropped in India when the pitches offered no help to him and then he got injured. In that time Hilfenhaus and Siddle overtook him. It had nothing to do with his lack of pace. It was about age and the balance of the attack.

I dont think this quite right my friend. Clark was definately dropped because of his sudden lost pace due to injury.

After he got injured in India 08 & returned during those two Ashes test. His pace was struggling to get above 80 mph & his nip & bounce was gone. Clark between South Africa 05/06 to West Indies 07/08 certainly was between the 80-85 mph range fairly consistently.

I dont see Australian domestic cricket, but i saw him after the Ashes in the Champions League for NSW & his pace had continued to be 73-79 mph range. Plus i was reading reports that in the early stages of the current Sheffield Sheild season, his pace had not improved.

I'm fairly sure if Clark could have proved in domestic cricket this season that he could get back the pace & nip of between SA 05/06 to WI 07/08. That the Australian selectors would have considered him for test currently, since he would have been the perfect metronomical accurate bowler Ponting would have needed to back up the young guns.

But as you rightfully mentioned, as we saw @ Headingley, his lack of pace & nip on his return basically has turned him in a medium pacer who need a seaming deck to be effective. So given that in international cricket, such conditions dont exist, 90% he would be useless to AUS in tests now.

You mention that he struggled on the flat pitches in India 2008. But that was because of injury. Lets not forget in Australia last series before the Indian tour, the pitches in the West Indies tour where just as flat as that tour & Clark was superb.

I'm not even going to bother continuing the Davies discussion further. You've stated your opinion, I've stated mine, we're just going to end up going round in circles. The only way we're ever going to be able to prove whether Davies is International standard or not is by having him play Test cricket over a spell of a few series in differing conditions. Until then it's all conjecture, and frankly I don't want to end up scratching my own eyes out, so leave it there.

Word. But i dont see my position as conjecture at all sir, nor do i need to see him play tests to vindicate my position. There is enough recent examples of his type failing in tests.

Trott played his first ODi against Ireland in 09. Denly debuted in the same game so I was wrong there, but Mustard was picked in October of 07.

Bell and Cook continued to get picked ahead of Trott even when he was eligible, despite the fact he has a superior List A record, and looked a class player.

My slight mistake here. I forgot Trott had only made his ODI debut last year. I forgot he had only played T20s when he first appeared in 2007.

But as i said as i remember it. Trott wasn't picked in ODIs right away after 2007 because he had a bit of discipinary problem with the ECB. Plus it wasn't clear what his best batting position was also in the ODI set-up. So although i agree he probably should have being a fixture since 2007, i sort of see why the selectors weren't sure about him despite his List A record.

Missed the part where I mentioned that I was taking watching them bowl into consideration too? Finn's looked a better bowler whenever I've seen him play. My argument wasn't purely based on stats, the stats just supported my argument, so I used them.

Well fair enough if you saw them bowl. For me Rankin looks better based on the international games i've seen him play for Ireland. Thats basically it.

All conjecture. I've seen him get bounce when I've seen him bowl (he's 6ft 3 and bowls with quite a high action), he bowls at the perfect pace to extract swing, and I've seen him get seam movement on tracks that weren't green, so given everything I've seen/heard I think it's more likely than not that he could move the Kookaburra ball.

The Duke ball swings coventional & reverse different from the kookaburra.

For example we take the Ashes 2005. England where getting the old duke ball to reverse swing on those flat surfaces as early as the 20th over.

But then you take the sub-continent or in Australia with the Kookabura. The ball doesn't begin to reverse until probably the 40th-50th over for the fast-bowlers in all the years i've seen cricket from those parts of the world.

With the new-ball would be the issue for Davies. The Duke-ball's seam is more prominent than the Kookaburra. So i have my doubts, he would be able to replicate that on tour with the Kookabura unless he gets seaming conditions.

The flatness of a wicket doesn't effect swing either, it's the ball, atmospheric conditions and the bowlers action.

If the wicket is flat & conditions are hot as it usually is in Adelaide. A bowler wont get any swing with the new-ball, even if he has the perect action which to generate the perfect seam psoition - to get maximum swing.

Do you remember Hoggard's 7 wicket haul in Adelaide in 2006?. He got zero swing with the new ball, most of wickets came from reverse swing when the ball got older.

So the only bowlers that are effective on flat pitches are reverse swing bowlers?

For past bowlers yes. Especially for bowlers of Davies pace, if dont have the ability to take the wicket out of the question with 90 mph pace as Michael Holding did @ the Oval 1976.

Edit: FFS. I fell into the 2nd Davies trap. Pleaseeeeeee leave it there. Kthnxbye.

Ha camn down son. Dont get yourself so worked up, we can go @ this all day..

You mention that he struggled on the flat pitches in India 2008. But that was because of injury. Lets not forget in Australia last series before the Indian tour, the pitches in the West Indies tour where just as flat as that tour & Clark was superb.

Agree, he did well in the West Indies. But so did Brett Lee, implying that it wasn't a wasteland. Unlike India where none of the Aussie bowlers did well, even the great Mitchell Johnson.

I dont see Australian domestic cricket, but i saw him after the Ashes in the Champions League for NSW & his pace had continued to be 73-79 mph range. Plus i was reading reports that in the early stages of the current Sheffield Sheild season, his pace had not improved.

73mph? Come off it dude. That's 115kph. Mike Hussey bowl's quicker than that. The only balls at 73mph in the Champions League were slower balls. I know he got above 80mph in the Ashes. Not far above, but at least he got there. Anyone have any footage? Can't find jack-crap on Youtube...

I dont think this quite right my friend. Clark was definately dropped because of his sudden lost pace due to injury.

After he got injured in India 08 & returned during those two Ashes test. His pace was struggling to get above 80 mph & his nip & bounce was gone. Clark between South Africa 05/06 to West Indies 07/08 certainly was between the 80-85 mph range fairly consistently.

Nope I'd be willing to bet my house that lack of pace was not the first or even second reason for him being dropped. It's AGE/FUTURE USEFULNESS and COMPETITION that finished Stuart Clark. We had Glenn McGrath who'd lost 5-10kph yet we didn't mind keeping him around despite his loss of pace. Same for Brett Lee. Same for Jason Gillespie - ALL these guys lost pace yet they were kept around for at least a little while longer. Because they were a) still good, and b) better than the competition for their spot. Stuart Clark might be still decent, but he's not better than the competition. When you are 35 and it gets to that stage there is no point in hanging onto him. It's Siddle, Hilfenhaus and now Bollinger who've killed Stuart Clark.

The other issue was politics. SOMEONE had to get chopped after the Ashes. In reality the selectors thought Australia had the better of the series and looking at the wickets and run charts yes it looks that way. But to play an unchanged XI after losing the Ashes would have looked bad. So the obvious choice is the 35 year old 4th seamer who they can replace easily with up and comers like Bollinger and Clint McKay.

Anyway, I'll agree that he has lost a BIT of pace. But I personally don't think it matters too much. Like Glenn McGrath, he should be able to winkle out wickets bowling at 80mph instead of 85mph. He relies on movement, not speed and it's not like a guy of Lee's pace losing some speed. If Clark loses his movement he's not going to get picked even if magically finds that 5mph again. A dead straight 85-90mph is Peter Siddle and we don't need another one of him. Clark wasn't selected for his pace - so why should be be dropped because he lost 5mph? I'm sure it was more an annoyance to Ponting & the selectors rather than a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread