Warne Retiring (confirmed)

we looking at his average? i could be making a fool of my self as you might be talking bout somthing so different i might as well be on mars but that said his overall avergae was 25, and against the poms 23

Nah mate, I was just saying that Warne's taken only 17 wickets against minnow teams (Bangers & Zimbabwe) while Murali taken 137 of his career wickets against them. :D

wfdu_ben91 said:
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but...

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

11 + 6 = 17, doesn't it? :D

I'm getting confused, where have the 11 and 6 come from?

And why a link to Warnes page when you said he quite often plays with other bowlers averaging around under 20 with him?

Wires crossed somewhere.

EDIT:

:D

I was talking about the averages of the other bowlers, not how many wickets he's taken vs Zim and Ban :D

I can't believe this cricket will never be the same...but this was his dream, to leave after an Ashes series by bashing the poms and takin a few wickets...my favourite cricketer for life!!! He got me into cricket back in that 02/03 Ashes series and I have loved him ever since...Long Live The King of Spin

As much as I dislike him, I will admit, he is a true legend of the game and is a hell of a lot better than anyone us pommies have had-(maybe Panesar?) :)

wfdu_ben91 said:
Nah mate, I was just saying that Warne's taken only 17 wickets against minnow teams (Bangers & Zimbabwe) while Murali taken 137 of his career wickets against them. :D
You did see the mauling he recieved Day 1 vs. Bangla right?
They aren't that easy, you are making it sound like it's bowling to 12 year olds! And it isn't like Murali chooses to bowl vs. Bangla and Zimbabwe, he can only bowl against who he is pitted, and do his best.

Sad, sad sad.
Wish I could go to Hampshire and watch him play once in the next two years :(

Ah, Warnie is gone. A nice swansong, though, hopefully he crushes England in the next two. ;) From India's point of view, it doesn't matter much, because he didn't really affect us that much. :p McGrath on the other hand...

Warne's Announcement: A Personal Perspective

We all connect to celebrities and their lives in our own individual ways. I wrote this piece in the hours after watching Warne's announcement of his retirement.(i.e. about 12:30 pm 21/12/06) This piece of writing is, as I say, an individual perspective and is not written to aim at populist consumption. If you like it...that is a bonus for me....if it does not turn you on---just stop reading.-Ron Price, Tasmania.

PLAYING AND SPINNING

At 1 p.m. on the summer solstice, 21/12/06, one hour before the George Town Bah?? community's Devotional Meeting, Shane Warne announced his retirement from test cricket. It was George Town's 43rd Devotional Meeting and Warne's 15th year in test cricket. Warne was not yet two years of age when I arrived in Australia in July of 1971. To list all his achievements here would lead to prolixity here. This handsome, easy-going, athletic 37 year old formally announced the end of his cricket career this afternoon. I sat in our lounge-room looking out over the Tamar River, enjoying the cloud cover after a week of horrific fires in Tasmania. The media were out in mass to hear Warne's final words and I was on the edge of my seat ready to head to our Devotional Meeting where three people awaited my wife and I and where we spent a stimulating two hours. -Ron Price, Pioneering Over Four Epochs, 21/12/06.

You've had quite a career, Shane,
since you landed in Victoria in '69.
We had just landed on the moon
that winter and I had just started
teaching school in Cherry Valley--
and it was not very sweet, if I recall.

It seems, indeed it is, a lifetime
ago Shane! We stood too close,
to your cricket prowess, for our
generation to really see you, Shane.
We do not comprehend yet. And?
thirty-seven years is such a short life.
We need to get further away from
these years of yours: 1992-2007.
But we are beginning to understand.

I play a different game than you,
Shane, and my script, Shane, is
part of another drama in the world's
history, written as it is on tablets
of chrysolite, endless scenes there
are before my final hour in that
garden paradise, that eternal kingdom,
where I will abide for evermore amidst
glorious meads, far from this mortal cage.

For I , too, will one day retire, Shane.
The media will not be there to ask me
questions and cheer me on in soap-opera
fashion. I will not be on the day's news.
I will go silently like the carcass of a dog
into a hole for those who speak no more.1

I will put away this mortal frame,
these days that are less than a fleeting
moment and wing my flight unto the
Placeless Paradise. Will I play cricket,
Shane? What will I spin and play then?

1 The B?b, Selections, Haifa, 1976, p. 19.

Ron Price
21 December 2006

Warne is the best spinner ever to play the game. I am sure. The Warne vs Murili debate rages on but in my opinion, Warne is far better, despite what the average says. Murili is in a weak bowling team and gets to bowl all day. Also all those wickets against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Warne had to fight McGrath, Lee, Gillespie in the day for wickets, those three would usually do a lot of damage before Warne even got a chance.

This is a sad day. I will very much miss watching him bowl. :( . I will make sure to make the most of watching every delivery he bowls in the remaining tests. I kind of hope for his sake he gets a 100, thats one thing he lacks and would probably really like after that 700th wicket.

A great personality of the game will be gone :( Hopefully off the field we see him chiming in with his comments etc.

He'll be sorely missed by everyone. No one will be able to fill the massive shoes of Warne. Not only was he an excellent cricketer but he was entertanier. Every time he is about to bowl and I am watching on TV you can hear "Warney Warney Warney!!!". That is how much cricketing fans love him. He re-invented leg spin. He encouraged guys, like myself to bowl leg-spin and that bowling as fast as you possibly can wasn't the be all and end all.

Warney I'll miss you. Watching cricket will never be the same again :crying

Users who are viewing this thread